A question for the male drinkers out there

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
jkvoller said:
my friends keep saying that a G&T is camp and exclusively for old women.
The hell is wrong with them? I'm in my 30s, and it's my default "I can't think of what to order" drink when I'm out, and it became that at some point probably in my mid-20s. I have a friend who's in his early 20s who's a big fan of them too. In fact, pretty much everyone I know who drinks them is male, and I'm having a hard time thinking of many people female of any age who aren't disgusted by them.

Paladin2905

Sep 1, 2011
Never was a fan of the quinine in the Gin and Tonic. I love gin, but prefer it in a martini or a Tom Collins.

Possible reason for it being called an old woman drink: quinine was used for heart conditions in the past, I know I've seen older ladies order a G&T for that reason.

Feb 13, 2008
Nice cold G&T is wonderful for relaxing, but gin does leak through your sweat.

I'd prescribe a good whiskey to warm, a mojito to relax and a pint for all other purposes.

Steer clear of lager unless you KNOW where your drunk stage is though. Lager brings anger.

Moridinice

Feb 4, 2010
you should say Gin and Tonic is the English Gentleman drink. they drank tonic water to ward off malaria and gin so they could drink the tonic.

Moridinice

Feb 4, 2010
you should say Gin and Tonic is the English Gentleman drink. they drank tonic water to ward off malaria and gin so they could drink the tonic.

Feb 13, 2008
Woodsey said:
Bit of an odd choice for someone our age, but... eh. It's not like you're drinking WKD (for which your friends would have to beat you to within in an inch of you life).
Why do people drink WKD? Are they just devoid of taste buds?

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Well... I don't drink G&T, mainly because I drink my gin straight...

Too be honest you shouldn't care what other people think of what you drink, because there is nothing to be ashamed of no matter what you have (Even WKD which in my opinion barely an alcoholic beverage... Though blue does taste pretty great) drinks are there for you to enjoy, not something to use as a fashion statement or to be "Cool"

I personally am not too keen on gin though (Mainly because I really only get cheap stuff which tastes like crap) I tend to prefer drinking Vodka (Because I don't get such a bad aftertaste from the cheap stuff) I used to drink mainly whiskey, but an incident involving a bottle of Bells, a bottle of navy rum and a bottle of white rum means I can't drink any of those now (It also has dampened my taste of vodka somewhat)

Oh and I'm a 17 year old male. No-one judges me about anything I drink (Except they think I'm an alcoholic after they see how much I do drink on the occasions we go out)

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
If you enjoy Gin and Tonics then drink them, I used to prefer wine as my drink and got some shit for that but due to budget reasons I drink beer these days.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
jkvoller said:
I am a 18 year old male and drink gin and tonic

My question is simple. Are there any other young (18/21 - 39) males who drink and enjoy a gin and tonic out there, because my friends keep saying that a G&T is camp and exclusively for old women.
GT is acually one of the most manly drinks because it tastes really aweful.

On a serious note Gin and Tonic is not what I would call a lady drink Gin and Orange juice might be but not tonic

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
jkvoller said:
I am a 18 year old male and drink gin and tonic

My question is simple. Are there any other young (18/21 - 39) males who drink and enjoy a gin and tonic out there, because my friends keep saying that a G&T is camp and exclusively for old women.
Your friends are not wrong :)

Hahaha, in all honesty the only person ive seen with that drink in the last year (longer?) was my fifty odd year old dad. So atleast it appeals to both men and women!

Gave up gin when i was 15... because i tried to ride my bike down some stairs after i had a drinking session with it in. Didn't go well and now can't stand the smell of whiskey/gin without feeling ill. Lesson learnt.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Layz92 said:
Jonluw said:
Gin and tonic isn't for women!
It isn't, right?
I guess I might have to start drinking mint juleps, then.

But really. Don't care about what those people say. G&T is a nice drink. Certainly better than White russian.
Whoah, whoah easy there. It is a great drink (alcoholic iced cofee really). It even has The Dude's seal of aproval.
No. I don't care what the dude thinks.
That Kahlua is a thing of the devil. Truly horrid.

I originally found it to be okay, if a bit too sweet and thick. Then I got smashed, and now I can never drink anything like it again. e.g. Bailey's makes me gag.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Woodsey said:
Bit of an odd choice for someone our age, but... eh. It's not like you're drinking WKD (for which your friends would have to beat you to within in an inch of you life).
Why do people drink WKD? Are they just devoid of taste buds?
The blue one tastes like slush-puppy.
Thats why I drink it anyway. And I dont really like alcohol. Plus I could drink a tank of it and not get drunk. :p

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
I don't drink G&Ts, but then I'm not a huge fan of gin. Like many have said already, "if you enjoy it, who cares what anyone else thinks." Your friends can go on disagreeing. It will not cause anyone physical harm.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Your friends are assholes. I like gin and tonic, it's one of the few strong drinks I like to mix up with juice. Normally I just have them straight.

jkvoller

Dec 18, 2009
Jonluw said:
Layz92 said:
Jonluw said:
Gin and tonic isn't for women!
It isn't, right?
I guess I might have to start drinking mint juleps, then.

But really. Don't care about what those people say. G&T is a nice drink. Certainly better than White russian.
Whoah, whoah easy there. It is a great drink (alcoholic iced cofee really). It even has The Dude's seal of aproval.
No. I don't care what the dude thinks.
That Kahlua is a thing of the devil. Truly horrid.

I originally found it to be okay, if a bit too sweet and thick. Then I got smashed, and now I can never drink anything like it again. e.g. Bailey's makes me gag.
Interesting. If I don't order a G&T, my other choice of drink is a Baileys original on the rocks, mainly because it doesn't get me as drunk as quickly as Gin and Tonic does. Those are the two drinks I drink exclusively.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
I believe the correct term here is "fuck the haters".
While I'm primarily drinking beer and whisky(and some GnT, in fact), I know men who exclusively like cider and men that exclusively drink strawberry daiquiris. If someone complains about that, they're stupid.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Personally I think Lime Rickeys (Gin and Lime Pop) are better than G&Ts, but then I'm not that big of a gin drinker anyway. I'll stick to Alexander Keith's (Pride of Nova Scotia) and the occasional batch of dark rum and cokes.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I love a good G&T. If you really wanna go super-manly though, you can't beat a martini (made with gin, not vodka, you party animals.) Just drinking it makes you look awesome, because you need a steady hand to hold the glass by the stem for those bars who fill your martini glass to the brim.
Of course, you should drink what you like. My favorite drink is Brazil's national cocktail, the caipirinha. Cachaça, sugar, and muddled lime. Simple, refresing, and delicious.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I'm an occasional G&T drinker. Personally I've always thought of it as alternately an old man drink and a teenage girls drink. The only two people I know who drink G&T are my Grandfather(errr... 70-something) and a trans-man (19)

For the record: they both pull it off as an old mans drink; whereas I look like a teenage girl pretty much whatever I drink.