A question to those who have at some point been punched in the face.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Gets really hot, then hurts like a *****. That's right on the cheekbone, though, dunno about other spots. Oh, getting socked in the nose makes you feel all stuffy.
Oof, right on the bone has to sting.

Was the bone okay? Did you get away without a fracture?

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
depends on if you were expecting the punch or not. I've experienced both, with expecting the punch, numbness definitely.

Not expecting the punch, and its honestly like a light going out, and when you come around this wild feeling of disorientation along with ringing in the ears and a tremendous throbbing pain.

Trust me take the numbness over the disorientation anyday. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing

Forestwolfss

Feb 24, 2008
I have been hit in the head by glass bottles, kicked and punched a few times in the face area. In all honesty, none of it hurt at all until about an hour or so later. I found that being hit anywhere in the forehead area did not hurt at any point but being hit around the cheek would cause some pain but only after some time had passed. Getting hit around the ear hurts like all hell though... now I am straying.

I was once hit in the face by a football, kicked by one of my schools better players. It was a cracking shot to, hit me between the eyes. That stung a little, felt like my face was on fire for a few minutes and messed up my balance.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Throughout my life my brother and I have a history of going at it like Rock-em Sock-em Robots, so I know. There's the shock of the blow, but it you're expecting it it's going to go a bit numb because of the adrenaline. If you're not expecting it chances are it's going to hurt more. Either way you're going to be dizzy and dazed. Hurts more to get a back eye while wearing glasses. Had to replace a perfectly good pair because my brother smashed it into my eye. Lens cracked. Surprised I wasn't digging bits of glass out of my eye that day. Still tenses me up thinking about it.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
depends. I've been a boxer, so the number and force of the impacts is a factor. When my nose was broken it definitely hurt. Same goes for the time my eyelid got cut open. Generally though, a punch to the cheek or forehead or something, yeah, not much pain to speak of right away. Obviously a solid punch to the right area can do some serious damage immediately. The dizziness has always been more of a problem for me though. My susceptibility to disorientation is the reason I stopped boxing. Body shots have always hurt more though. Dat solar plexus shot.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zhukov said:
Susan Arendt said:
Gets really hot, then hurts like a *****. That's right on the cheekbone, though, dunno about other spots. Oh, getting socked in the nose makes you feel all stuffy.
Oof, right on the bone has to sting.

Was the bone okay? Did you get away without a fracture?
Yep. Broke my glasses, though, which I was actually far more upset about. Those things are expensive, man.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Yep. Broke my glasses, though, which I was actually far more upset about. Those things are expensive, man.
Oh God, when I was a kid I got my glasses broken a couple dozen times. Pissed my mom off, because we wen't exactly flush with cash.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Y'all have never been punched in the face properly. "Oh yeah, I got punched in the face and it just got numb and" - yeah, no. If you get punched in the face - like, properly - you're gonna feel dizzy, disoriented, and your face is gonna throb with pain for a few days.

Unless of course you got punched in the face by Bob, the 13 year old kid who's never been in a proper fight, and he just kinda grazed your cheek with his knuckles. But that's hardly a punch.
No please, tell us how much manlier you are than the rest of us for feeling real pain from a punch to the face. We all believe that your the ONLY one to be hit properly

OT: Its not normally a nice sensation but aside from the bruising it doesnt hurt all that bad. Getting knocked out is worse as you can land funny, like I did, and as has been said, square in the nose makes your eyes water.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
It feels likea bubbling happiness. The first feeling is dull, numb, yet after that it changes into burning happiness that makes you smile, that makes you laugh. It gets your blood pumping and your brain racing; it's as if you are free for the first time in a long time, and all you can do is grin and laugh as the burn slowly fades away, but still stays there reminding you of what happened.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Mild stinging in the skin, especially the nose if it got hit (Good luck if you have an itchy nose) and if it's further up I get a funny taste in my mouth as well as mild dizziness.

Here's a tip, if someone's about to punch you in the face you should probably try to avoid it. :p

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
OniaPL said:
It feels likea bubbling happiness. The first feeling is dull, numb, yet after that it changes into burning happiness that makes you smile, that makes you laugh. It gets your blood pumping and your brain racing; it's as if you are free for the first time in a long time, and all you can do is grin and laugh as the burn slowly fades away, but still stays there reminding you of what happened.
So punches to the face are your anti-drug?

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
People react differently to pain. To be honest, I don't remember what happens straight after a punch to the face, I just know that my nose itches like crazy if I get punched in the nose. Your face going numb isn't a big thing, it is the adrenaline and what have you. It's an advantage! FEEL NO PAIN!!!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Been a while since I was last bunched in the face, so I can't really recall. I'm not looking to change that though.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
axlryder said:
OniaPL said:
So punches to the face are your anti-drug?
Not really, violence is. Since I never punch first, to me being punched means that the social limits of inflicting violence upon others have been temporarily and partially removed in the name of self defense and therefore I view being punched as a positive thing.

Apr 28, 2008
Got punched in the face once. Right between the eyes. First got numb, then stung, then had a throbbing pain for a couple of days.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
The body is in shock as well as pumping adrenaline. The pain might be delayed.

I got kicked in the nose. All I could think is "this is going to hurt any second now." It may have been more painful mentally than physically. Idk.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Adrenaline carried through in that moment and allowed me to keep on. So I didn't feel it instantly. But five minutes later I noticed a sharp burning sensation, that it hurt for me to rotate my eye, that I had some serious swelling going on. Then it started to hurt in the back of my neck/head. Then I noticed I was quite woozy.

But you shoulda seen the other guy. Actually, this happened at work (Behavioral Health clinic. Most of the patients there were oversized teenage boys with history of violent crimes or even rape. This was one of the really oversized ones, and he had assaulted three other staff members that week), so I didn't try to punch him back. I just put him in a temporary hold until my partner could assist me in a different (transport) hold. We took him to a solitary area (just to remove the scene from the other patients. We were on camera at all times, so no abuse happened) and called the nurse so she bring in a sedative.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I've been punched in the face a few times. Getting punched in the nose is really disorientating, not to mention demoralizing. I'm fairly prone to nose bleeds so I usually start bleeding straight away. Being punched in the jaw is okay during a fight but hurts like a mother for a few days afterwards. But yeah, the actual effect immediately after being punched is pretty okay, certainly not the instant painsplosion you might expect.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ive been pnuched in the face once, and I was shocked by the whole thing, I didnt pay much attention to the actual sensation.

I was in shock because it came out of nowhere, and was done by my best friend. He told me later that he thought I was about to punch him in the face... I than preceded to instead knee him in the balls and point out we're even.