A Senior Dating an 8th Grader

Escapist Account

Sep 9, 2009
To make a long story short, my cousin is dating my friend. Now let me add a few details. My friend is 18 years of age and a senior in high school, my cousin is in 8th grade, they have been dating for 2 months, and they have never seen each other in real life. Not even once. They live 2.5 hours away from each other and they met each other via a Xbox live party hosted by yours truly. I don't have much of an opinion on this but I do constantly tease them about the situation.

So members of the Escapist, I want to know how you feel about relationships between high school seniors and 8th graders. Or other similar relationships.

EDIT: To make this clear, they ARE dating. They just met each other via xbox live and now they are in a long distance relationship. And they Skype each other everyday. Whether they do this naked or not I do not know.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Is 8th grade freshmen year? Its been a while, I don't remember.

Anyway, if its a healthy relationship then its fine by me.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
If they haven't actually met they aren't really dating. When it comes to teenage dating I find it gets creepy when there's more than two years difference. My sister who's 14 started dating a 19 year old and let's just say it didn't end well.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Anyone who wants to be in a relationship with an 8th grader probably isn't mature enough to be in a relationship, including 8th graders. As long as there's no fucking or CP though, "online date" away.

You're sure your cousin isn't an undercover FBI agent though, right?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Eldarion said:

Ninth is freshman.

And meh. It's long distance and nonphysical.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
For those wondering: 8th grade is before freshman year and usually the ages 13-15 depending on late/early birthdays and what not whereas senior is like ages 17-19. (In america, fyi)

Anyway, its not reeeealy dating if they've never met. Its probably just a "thing" that wont last long. Still, you friend is kind of a creep imo.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Eldarion said:

8th Grade is the year before freshman year, so they would be 13/14

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Also this is bordering on Pedophilia tell your friend to back off if he doesn't want to be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
When I first read the thread title, I thought the OP meant a senior citizen. In comparison to that, this seems alright to me, I guess.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
First, an 8th grader in a "long distance relationship"... Well, I see it ending very, very soon.

Second, that much of a difference in age is just weird. If it was 30 and 35, that would be normal, but the ratio is wrong here.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Thats nothing my teacher i had in HS was 60 and his wife was 27 and they had children

Now imgine that for a momment

OT: Eh it wont last long

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
It seems a bit werid but it is only 5yrs diff. My friend s parnt are 10yrs apart in age.

Maybe the 13yr old is mature or vice versa.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
KefkaCultist said:
For those wondering: 8th grade is before freshman year and usually the ages 13-15 depending on late/early birthdays and what not whereas senior is like ages 17-19. (In america, fyi)
This would have been useful in the OP. Not everywhere operates under the same school structure.

Anyway, preeetty creepy. He's an adult and she is basically still a child. Barely even a teen. But as long as it's nonphysical, why the fuck not.
Still, I think the best possible outcome here is that they just get bored of it and stop. I mean, it can't really GO anywhere. Not unless they plan to stay together mostly platonically for like four or five years.

And seeing as one of them is a fucking early adolescent (and the other is the kind of dude who would DATE an early adolescent), I really don't see that happening.

squidtm

Mar 17, 2010
Minimum age you can date without seeming creepy= (1/2*your age)+7, so even if the 8th grader is 14, it seems bad. That said, I wouldn't expect this to become serious in any way, so you should just let it play out however it does.