A Senior Dating an 8th Grader

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
I don't think this is a good idea. Firstly, they are dating online and have never met. That may work for adults sometimes (I don't really get online dating. I don't think it works, but whatever. Do what you will.), but I really doubt it will work for teenagers. Second, they are four years apart. Once again, that is okay when you are adults, but as a teenager four years is the difference between second grade and sixth grade. It just seems like too much of an age gap.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
DSQ said:
It seems a bit werid but it is only 5yrs diff. My friend s parnt are 10yrs apart in age.

Maybe the 13yr old is mature or vice versa.
It is skating on extremely thin ice any inappropriate contact between them could get the guy in alot of trouble

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
squidtm said:
Minimum age you can date without seeming creepy= (1/2*your age)+7, so even if the 8th grader is 14, it seems bad. That said, I wouldn't expect this to become serious in any way, so you should just let it play out however it does.
Just curious is there an age limit where that formula starts working? or can a 10 yr old only date a 12 yr old?

squidtm

Mar 17, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
squidtm said:
Minimum age you can date without seeming creepy= (1/2*your age)+7, so even if the 8th grader is 14, it seems bad. That said, I wouldn't expect this to become serious in any way, so you should just let it play out however it does.
Just curious is there an age limit where that formula starts working? or can a 10 yr old only date a 12 yr old?
It has to work both ways, so it starts working at 14. Anyone younger than that has no real business dating anyway.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
squidtm said:
artanis_neravar said:
squidtm said:
It has to work both ways, so it starts working at 14. Anyone younger than that has no real business dating anyway.
Can't argue with you there

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
In the long run, this age difference is rather miniscule. A lot of married couples have age differences longer than this. However, it becomes an issue when both people are relatively young (as seen in this case). If they were, say, 20-25, it would have been much better.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"they have been dating for 2 months, and they have never seen each other in real life"

there seems to be a contradiction in your statement sir.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's weird and possibly illegal. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the way you descirbed it, I don't think it'll last.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
You have given us no information as to what their relationship is like. You don't describe the way they talk to each other, or about each other, or anything like that. All you say is "they've been dating," which means nothing to me since my definition of a date is dinner and/or a movie and/or "cuddling". Since you say they've never met each other in real life, I have absolutely NO information to go on. As far as I know, they could be simply good friends on Xbox Live, or they could be sexting. I need more information.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
That's nothing. Here in Denmark I know a couple of couples (lol) where the age difference is much greater (The girl is 16 and her boyfriend is 25, yeah I know, kinda disgusting).

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
They haven't seen each other in person. Ever. Therefore they are not dating. Problem solved.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
4 years age difference is just fine. Don't let them have sex until she's 18 though, unless you want your cousin to go to jail.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
to be "dating" requires you to go on a date. considering they have never SEEN each other, i dont think it should be considered dating. more like "connection to an to an online persona of the opposite gender" in wich case, different strokes for different folks.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
RatRace123 said:
That's weird and possibly illegal. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the way you descirbed it, I don't think it'll last.
It's only illegal if they have sex. I think it's statuatory rape (not sure if thats the correct term, but it sounds like that) on his part if they do.
OP, don't try to intervene unless you suspect this may happen, you don't want to let your friend end up in prison because of something like this. If it stays long distance then just let them be, it's better to let them get bored of each other on their own.

Escapist Account

Sep 9, 2009
They are more than just friends. They write "I love you" on each others walls daily. And some other things... Bleh.