A Skip Button for Boss Fights

Feb 26, 2014
Skip boss button? I really don't like the sound of that. Pressing a button to skip a portion of the game deprives the player of a certain experience.

Instead, games should come with a "god mode" that triggers after losing a certain amount of times (On the easiest difficulty). The God mode all but maxes out the players damage and/or makes them invulnerable. That way the player can, at the very least, have the experience of going through the battles with none of the challenge.

It may sound like it doesn't matter. What's the point in going through the fight if the challenge isn't there? Fighting a boss is a fun typically a fun experience, not only because of the challenge involved, but also the bosses themselves. Sometimes it's the dialogue during the fight itself or maybe after dropping the bosses health the boss transforms from a swordsman to, I dunno, some kind of fetus monster. Even players that are absolutely shit at a game should be able to enjoy those interesting and fun moments.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Captain Marvelous said:
Skip boss button? I really don't like the sound of that. Pressing a button to skip a portion of the game deprives the player of a certain experience.

Instead, games should come with a "god mode" that triggers after losing a certain amount of times (On the easiest difficulty). The God mode all but maxes out the players damage and/or makes them invulnerable. That way the player can, at the very least, have the experience of going through the battles with none of the challenge.

It may sound like it doesn't matter. What's the point in going through the fight if the challenge isn't there? Fighting a boss is a fun typically a fun experience, not only because of the challenge involved, but also the bosses themselves. Sometimes it's the dialogue during the fight itself or maybe after dropping the bosses health the boss transforms from a swordsman to, I dunno, some kind of fetus monster. Even players that are absolutely shit at a game should be able to enjoy those interesting and fun moments.
We call that an out of lives continue button in arcade shumps

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
I mean I guess it doesn't affect me, but I wonder why people play games just to demand they become just like movies.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
gyrobot said:
Captain Marvelous said:

We call that an out of lives continue button in arcade shumps
Honestly though, I think it does players a disservice. People here talk about skill like it's some intrinsic thing people either have or don't, and that's simply not true. Skill is something you learn, something you cultivate, something learned through ttial and error. A big part of games is developing those skills. some of my fondest memories of games are beating a toigh boss after counless failures, after trying different tactics, researching strengths and weaknesses, watching attack patterns, seeing openings, and perfecting your ececution. Anyone can do these things, and people robbing themselves of the feeling of watching that boss finally collapse at your feet, the tension of wondering if it's a fakeout, and FINALLY seeing that victory screen is an incredible feeling. It's just really sad to me that people are giving that up because they don't believe in themselves or lack patience.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Why not just make it an optional boss? Or incorporate some narrative option to defeat the boss without fighting? I mean a developer could just put a "press to skip" over their boss fight, but that's a lazy and stupid way of doing it that just devalues the experience. So I expect it to be widely implemented over the next 2 years or so.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
CritialGaming said:
Yeah but what you are saying is that you would have liked to skip a piece of the game that was frankly just poorly designed, not really challenging. So again there is a question as to what you allow players to skip and what you don't.

Now I suppose you could get say that if a player fails the same thing X number of times, then the game gives the option to skip. Which I continue to have a problem with because it tempts people with an easy way out, and utterly fucks with all the other mechanics of modern game design. For example Dark Souls provides a player an achievement for just about every boss in the game right? Well if I skip a boss because it is too hard for me, then do I deserve the achievements for any of the bosses after that one? After all, I never earned my right to face the later bosses, I merely skipped my way to them. Some would say that yes the play DOES deserve the achievement for a later boss because they had to fight and actually defeat the boss to get it. But I say NO they DONT deserve any reward or achievement for any accomplishments beyond the part of the game that was skipped because they didn't earn the victory.

If you want to say that skipping if fine if it just provides the experience of going through the game, then fine. But I still don't see why a cheat code can't simply be used instead of an outright skip. I don't like the idea of people missing core content of a game. I'm fine with ultra easy modes, or god modes, because the player will still have to process through the content, they aren't skipping anything. Erasing the challenge is fine so long as the experience of going through the game isn't lost, and skipping removes entire pieces of that game experience.

I don't understand why this has become a "people should be able to enjoy things however they want" because that doesn't work in ANY other situation. Sure you can read a book back to front, fast-forward through a film, but everything has a limitation. At some point there is some extreme that you aren't allowed to cross.

I feel like skipping is that line for video games.
I'll be honest I don't see a skip function being any different than the ability to change difficulty modes during the game.

If I lower the difficulty of a boss am I really experiencing the challenge as was intended or am I robbing myself of the euphoria of finally being able to get past it?

Would not the ability to just make the boss incredibly easy be just as tempting as a skip button to those who would be inclined to take such options.

If story content takes place during the battle I can see your point, but in most cases it is in non-interactive cutscenes. So all the people who would take a skip option would be missing is the frustration of not being able to get past that boss.

Personally speaking I wouldn't have a problem with a skip option being tied to the blocking of achievements. Give a message with the option "By using this you will not be able to earn any further achievements" and let them make the choice as to what is more important to them, seeing the rest of the game or getting all the achievements.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
votemarvel said:
I'll be honest I don't see a skip function being any different than the ability to change difficulty modes during the game.

If I lower the difficulty of a boss am I really experiencing the challenge as was intended or am I robbing myself of the euphoria of finally being able to get past it?

Would not the ability to just make the boss incredibly easy be just as tempting as a skip button to those who would be inclined to take such options.

If story content takes place during the battle I can see your point, but in most cases it is in non-interactive cutscenes. So all the people who would take a skip option would be missing is the frustration of not being able to get past that boss.

Personally speaking I wouldn't have a problem with a skip option being tied to the blocking of achievements. Give a message with the option "By using this you will not be able to earn any further achievements" and let them make the choice as to what is more important to them, seeing the rest of the game or getting all the achievements.
Here is the difference.

I'm hate to go back to Dark Souls, but I'm going to use the game as an example again.

Say you have an easy mode in Dark Souls, or better yet a "god mode" where you simply cannot die. A player who can't beat the fight normally can use this mode to practice the boss fight without punishment. They can study the fight, practice the dodging and weaving, memorize and learn the bosses patterns so that they can then go back and do the fight normally and earn their achievements or what have you.

Sure it would make the general Dark Souls experience overall easier, it would allow Dark Souls to suddenly be accessable by everybody. And those players that don't want to bother with the difficulty don't have too and can simply zerg their way through if they want.

A skip doesn't allow the player that option. A skip promotes players to not even try, to learn nothing, to gain nothing from the experience. At least by turning off the difficulty, players can still DO things, learn and get better without the frustration of failure. It allows players to then come back on the real difficulty and give the game a better shot because they will have enough practice to try for real.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
9tailedflame said:
Honestly though, I think it does players a disservice. People here talk about skill like it's some intrinsic thing people either have or don't, and that's simply not true. Skill is something you learn, something you cultivate, something learned through ttial and error. A big part of games is developing those skills. some of my fondest memories of games are beating a toigh boss after counless failures, after trying different tactics, researching strengths and weaknesses, watching attack patterns, seeing openings, and perfecting your ececution. Anyone can do these things, and people robbing themselves of the feeling of watching that boss finally collapse at your feet, the tension of wondering if it's a fakeout, and FINALLY seeing that victory screen is an incredible feeling. It's just really sad to me that people are giving that up because they don't believe in themselves or lack patience.
Then there's those bosses that are frustratingly designed, balanced, or use mechanics a player never sees again, or mechanics that are rarely used and the player just doesn't like. Those bosses that are just a little too much RNG or require an hour or two of grind before being able to be reliably taken down. Those bosses that require specialized skills or spells that maybe you didn't get but the game doesn't allow you to respec, so the player only then discovers they've got to either bash their head against a wall or start the whole game over again.

I've had the feeling you describe, but I've also had plenty of times where I struggle, developed skills, practiced patterns, grinded for hours, and ultimately, when the boss finally goes down, when I see that victory screen, I feel nothing.

Maybe a vague sense that I wasted my time, that the game I previously liked is now tainted by this one experience, that I was prevented from getting back to the parts I liked about the game, maybe even that I don't want to finish the game anymore, or at least take a break before coming back to it. Even games I really liked in hindsight, I can name examples, of areas, bosses, mechanics, or levels that I would still skip even after beating the game, because they sucked, or were frustrating, an unnecessary difficulty spike, things that prevent me from playing through that game again.

Also, is it worth robbing someone of experiencing the rest of the game, all of the story, gameplay, or other senses of achievement or accomplishment, just to force them through one particular part for a sense of accomplishment that they may not even have if they do it in the end anyway.

I find it's rarely that people lack patience or don't believe in themselves, more that people don't get the same levels of accomplishment or satisfaction from different parts of each game, one man's rush of accomplishment at beating a difficult challenge is another's, "well never going to do that again, that sucked".

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
CritialGaming said:
Here is the difference.

I'm hate to go back to Dark Souls, but I'm going to use the game as an example again.

Say you have an easy mode in Dark Souls, or better yet a "god mode" where you simply cannot die. A player who can't beat the fight normally can use this mode to practice the boss fight without punishment. They can study the fight, practice the dodging and weaving, memorize and learn the bosses patterns so that they can then go back and do the fight normally and earn their achievements or what have you.

Sure it would make the general Dark Souls experience overall easier, it would allow Dark Souls to suddenly be accessable by everybody. And those players that don't want to bother with the difficulty don't have too and can simply zerg their way through if they want.

A skip doesn't allow the player that option. A skip promotes players to not even try, to learn nothing, to gain nothing from the experience. At least by turning off the difficulty, players can still DO things, learn and get better without the frustration of failure. It allows players to then come back on the real difficulty and give the game a better shot because they will have enough practice to try for real.
I go back to staple games for examples, so no worries there.

The problem with your example is that if someone has been driven to the point that they are going to consider using a skip option, are they really going to use that Invincibility to learn the bosses move set, his weaknesses, movement pattern. Or are they going to stand there and hammer the strongest attack they have until it is dead. I'm willing to bet that the people who would use the skip option would chose the latter.

We both obviously see this from opposite ends of the spectrum. I suspect it is because I've never understood the appeal of the frustration genre to which games like Dark Souls belongs.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
votemarvel said:
We both obviously see this from opposite ends of the spectrum. I suspect it is because I've never understood the appeal of the frustration genre to which games like Dark Souls belongs.
That pretty much sums up this whole thread. 7 pages and I don't think anyone bent an inch in their stance.

On the one hand, there are people who see games as all about overcoming obstacles, and they believe that rewards should be commensurate with the amount of skill/effort put forth. To them, a skip button is not just a little option thrown in. It's a complete restructuring of what games are and have always been about on a fundamental level.

And even beyond that, there are people who, on a philosophical level, feel that rewards should be commensurate with the amount of skill/effort put forth in ALL matters, whether it's games or real life. And any violation of this philosophy... they're going to be against it, period.

Then on the other hand, you have people who feel like games are not about overcoming obstacles. They are about pure entertainment, just like a movie or a book. Relaxing and wasting time. And they believe that all people who buy the game are entitled to exactly the same experience as everyone else, regardless of skill or effort put forth. Everyone gets the same rewards no matter what. Hell, they don't even look at it as a reward. It's just part of the media they paid for and deserve.

The two sides are not going to reconcile, because they have a completely opposite idea of what games are about and probably completely opposite philosophies on life in general.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The skip button exist in the form of handing the controller to someone else to beat the boss for you. High level social mechanic, that one. They should market it more.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dreiko said:
The skip button exist in the form of handing the controller to someone else to beat the boss for you. High level social mechanic, that one. They should market it more.
That does assume there's someone else available who 1.) Plays that game 2.) Plays it better then you 3.) Wants to hang out with you and 4.) You want to hang out with them.

That or having a homeless guy locked in your basement at least plays better then you and is willing to do so in exchange for food.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
votemarvel said:
The problem with your example is that if someone has been driven to the point that they are going to consider using a skip option, are they really going to use that Invincibility to learn the bosses move set, his weaknesses, movement pattern. Or are they going to stand there and hammer the strongest attack they have until it is dead. I'm willing to bet that the people who would use the skip option would chose the latter.
For a game like Cuphead, it would be enough to have a Konami code style cheat that gives you 10x hitpoints instead of actually making you invincible. This would make winning very easy but would still force you to make some effort to play the game.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Dreiko said:
That does assume there's someone else available who 1.) Plays that game 2.) Plays it better then you 3.) Wants to hang out with you and 4.) You want to hang out with them.

That or having a homeless guy locked in your basement at least plays better then you and is willing to do so in exchange for food.
All these assumptions are present when multiplayer is touted as a feature. Hell, for online play you also need other people to also buy the game and to own a game system and even have internet! Somehow, that doesn't seem to be much of an issue with regard to their marketability.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
votemarvel said:
Yeah, and I'm utterly failing to see the problem with that.

Mostly because it doesn't affect me or how I play games in any way whatsoever.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dreiko said:
Dalisclock said:
Dreiko said:

All these assumptions are present when multiplayer is touted as a feature. Hell, for online play you also need other people to also buy the game and to own a game system and even have internet! Somehow, that doesn't seem to be much of an issue with regard to their marketability.
But now you're assuming a co-op multi-player feature(as opposed to merely PVP) that interacts with the main game, instead of being a separate mode. So your friend(online or not) can be called in to help you beat the boss.

And while some games do that(Dark Souls), there are plenty of games that don't.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Dreiko said:
Dalisclock said:
Dreiko said:

But now you're assuming a co-op multi-player feature(as opposed to merely PVP) that interacts with the main game, instead of being a separate mode. So your friend(online or not) can be called in to help you beat the boss.

And while some games do that(Dark Souls), there are plenty of games that don't.
Nah, that's just an example of something akin to what I was originally said (but not identical) that has been successfully marketed and touted as a feature in the past. I'm not saying they should add a new mode, just that they can sell games based on their difficulty by touting the option of giving your controller to someone else to beat your boss for you instead of adding a skip function. Out of the two, I think the tongue in cheek nature of my suggestion would succeed far more.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
votemarvel said:
I go back to staple games for examples, so no worries there.

Yes that's true, but the player still experiences the spectacle of the fight. In Dark Souls, those boss fights are the grand rush of the game. A skip button outright passes all of that awesome looking shit up. So what if you do the fight with zero danger or risk, you still get to see this awesome boss do cool shit.

My point has never been against skipping the challenge, my point is against skipping the EXPERIENCE.

Look if you are going to skip your way through a game, why are you playing it? Why spend the money on something like that, when you could just see the entire thing on Youtube? Ideally you would only use a cheat to get through a very specific part of the game (underwater level, poison area, asshole boss, etc) then turn the code off and continue to play.