A special game from your childhood that no one else seems to have played

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010

this game was so damn fun, but it's so fucking obscure it's easier to find gold at the end of the rainbow than finding a copy online

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Imat said:
Digimon World. I loved these games when I was a youngun but alas no one seems to have heard of em.
The first and third were fantastic, I still play them. Never owned the second and fourth, but gameplay footage from the second turned me off and I've never owned a PS2.
There were sequels to digimon world? Oh wow, I loved the first one when I was a kid. Even if I never got very far in it. Actually I still have it, maybe I should have another go someday.

fluffybunny937

Jul 5, 2009
I remember this game on PS2, I think it was called "Bouncer". You play a bouncer at a bar who gets in a fight with the wrong guy and get wrapped up in a bigger story.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Netstorm: Islands at War.

The only game I ever managed to really share with my father, who now hates videogames with an almost rabid passion. It was a really unique and different kind of RTS, with static siege engines where the only moving things were resource gatherers and an almost Tetris-like bridge building mechanic.
I remember that one - didn't it go to abandonware a few years in?

Mine is Imperivm/Celtic Kings: Rage of War - RPG+RTS before Blizzard ever had the idea.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
For me, King's Quest VII. It was the first game that made me want to make art for games. If that's too popular, then Crystal Caves by Apogee. No one ever talks about that game, but I had a ton of fun with it.

Vault101 said:
bubsy....

no one can see it for the work of brilliance it is
Bubsy made me hate the Playstation for like, 15 years.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Almost everything I would name I have discovered on the internet that tons of people played, so I'll leave with 3 very obscure ones I found fun:

Island of Dr. Brain
Terminal Velocity
Nightraid

EDIT: Those were all DOS games, for console games:

NES- Ultima Exodus
N64 - Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
GBA - Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis

fluffybunny937 said:
I remember this game on PS2, I think it was called "Bouncer". You play a bouncer at a bar who gets in a fight with the wrong guy and get wrapped up in a bigger story.
That was a PS2 launch title, my cousin and I played through it right after Christmas when he got his PS2.

Morthello

Aug 1, 2011
Country
United States
Universal Soldier on the Genesis. Think it was based on the movie. One of the first games i played with my uncle as a kid. The music was also pretty badass.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
baddude1337 said:
Body Harvest for the N64. I adored and played the hell out of this game on the N64. Apparently is wasn't very well received at the time, which is probably why nobody bought it.
I owned it. I wished there were more games that gave you many vehicles to choose from to slaughter giant bugs.

Bloody hard game though, and there was lots of room for improvement, but still really good.

Barry Purse said:
Nazulu said:
Mine is Mischief Makers 64. The game looks pretty crappy on the box but it was filled with awesome challenges and boss fights, including different game play stle than usual.

THIS.
THIS GAME.
I wish more games would let you grab enemies and shake the shit out of them.

Has anyone here played Cell Damage? A fantastically underrated game, with addictive game play and the best cell shading I've seen.
And this is why I prefer 90's and early 2000's gaming scene way over the current. There were just so much more experimental and well-designed games. I really want to play Mischief Makers again, and Cel Damage is a fun wacky mindless destroy all game I don't see often enough.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I can't remember the exact name, but it was a cheaply made Captain Crunch promotional game on PC. I remember playing the hell out of it when I was about 5 or so. As fond as my memories are, I'd probably hate the game if I was to play it today.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Aurora Firestorm said:
Jet Force Gemini. I loved that game so much, and it never got any attention because Rare was more famous for Donkey Kong and other such things.
I won't have a bad word said against that game, it was awesome. I never finished it though which is something I regret. Rare should get away from Microsoft and just make games for everyone.

I keep mentioning this game that I loved when I was younger and no one else seems to know of of it. But I loved Illusion of Time (Illusion of Gaia in America) on the SNES, it was a pretty linear RPG which made nice use you of the Mode 7 effect and was about a boy who was destined to save/ruin (depending on your point of view) the world who could at certain points turn into a knight or a shadowy creature. It had a great story too.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I assume no one else had played this SNES game since no one can't figure out what it was called including me.

What I remember is that I'm pretty sure it was made in Japan cos the intro scene had an anime sprite style which star the pliot and this mystic magical woman which I think she was colour green in some way.

It was top down type of shooter which you control a spaceship (sort of like R-Type) which there are several weapons pick up to choose from (one of them several green jellybean follow you arrow and shoot at the same time as you).

The first level was above the forest and I remember one of the later level was in outer base which the boss was a base but when you zoon out of it, it's actually an face.

The game over screen was the two characters in Chibi style as they set up an fire and camp for the night as their ship had crash down burning.
That's Super Aleste (or Space Megaforce in the US), one of the most critically-acclaimed shooters on the SNES - at least it should be.

But I'm a little confused, because the intro and game over screen you describe were only present in the Japanese version of the game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Grygor said:
Scarim Coral said:
I assume no one else had played this SNES game since no one can't figure out what it was called including me.

What I remember is that I'm pretty sure it was made in Japan cos the intro scene had an anime sprite style which star the pliot and this mystic magical woman which I think she was colour green in some way.

It was top down type of shooter which you control a spaceship (sort of like R-Type) which there are several weapons pick up to choose from (one of them several green jellybean follow you arrow and shoot at the same time as you).

The first level was above the forest and I remember one of the later level was in outer base which the boss was a base but when you zoon out of it, it's actually an face.

The game over screen was the two characters in Chibi style as they set up an fire and camp for the night as their ship had crash down burning.
That's Super Aleste (or Space Megaforce in the US), one of the most critically-acclaimed shooters on the SNES - at least it should be.

But I'm a little confused, because the intro and game over screen you describe were only present in the Japanese version of the game.
Holy crap! You found it! Finally my long search for that game is over! I type that name onto Youtube and Google image and it both match (despite the lack of the two characters image).
I guess to clear things up I did get that game from Hong Kong or China when I was on holiday with my family there so that explain the anime character exclusive images.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
bubsy....

no one can see it for the work of brilliance it is
I liked Bubsy well enough to get my parents to rent it repeatedly.

Some of my favorite games of old that would be rarely played (largely because they're old) are:

Rocket Ranger (NES) - A game where you move around a strategic world map trying to stop an evil alien invasion. Weird shooting sequences, an utter lack of save system and lots of chances to fail the game meant this one took longer to beat than anything I've ever played.

CABAL (NES) - Probably better known by the Arcade game, this was the FPS before there were FPS's.

Captain Skyhawk (NES) - A game where you fly a plane and shoot aliens. Upgradable weapons, and gameplay that changed wildly between maps (some maps played like Top Gun for the NES, others were standard shoot em up affairs).

Zombies Ate my Neighbors (SNES) - Simply one of my favorite couch co-op games ever made.

Alien 3 (SNES) - only one game did aliens better: the Aliens Versus Predator game made in 1999. And even then it was only because of the quantum leap of technology.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
llafnwod said:
Army Men: Air Attack.

WEEEE'RREEE FREEEEEE [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VftqSnsfhKQ&t=0m17s]
What an awful, awful game. But co-op with another ten year old makes everything better.
HAHA, the Army Men games ruled when we were young! Air attack was my fav too!

My special game was Little Big Adventure 2... I still play it through, because I still damn love it! The sound of the magic ball always makes me smile!

Also Small Soldiers for the PS1 was great! Hilarious fun in deathmatch mode!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_of_an_Emperor]
I still own the only copy I've ever seen. Got it from my uncle when I was 10. Pretty sure it was the game that made me realize I love strategy in gameplay.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
when i was little i used to play this math game on the computer called Troggle Trouble, along with Bugdom and Otto Mattic. even though a new game was released really recently, i don't know many people that have played the old You Don't Know Jack games. there's also Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, although i don't think that one's THAT obscure. ah, and this game called Cow Cather (or something along those lines, where you catch cows as a little green alien in a saucer, and you can fly into stonehenge or Big Ben because those are totally in almost the same place).

there was also this game i played when i visited my dad at one of the places he used to work. it was for the playstation... 2, i think, but i can't remember what it was called. you played as a space-man with a ray gun fighting aliens, and he was sort of a wise-cracker i think? i'd know it if i saw it but the name eludes me at the moment.