A Suicide Squad Extended Cut Has Been Announced

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
A Suicide Squad Extended Cut Has Been Announced

<tweet t=https://twitter.com/SuicideSquadWB/status/783685958034034689>

Despite initial reports to the contrary, Warner Bros. has announced there will be an extended cut of Suicide Squad.

It was just in August when director Suicide Squad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/david+ayer][/i] was "my cut," and that while there were 10 minutes of cut footage, they'd probably only be available as extras on the eventual home video release.

Then again, that was from a man promoting the theatrical version of the movie. If he were to come out and say "no, that's not the real version; you'll get the 'real' version in four months" then the box office wouldn't have been as strong as it wound up being. He couldn't have said anything else.

Today, it was announced that an extended - not "director's," which may or may not matter - version of the film will be released on home video. It'll contain approximately 13 minutes of additional footage and will be available to purchase on Digital HD on November 15th, as well as on Blu-ray on December 13th. The teaser trailer does contain the word "unrated," but many of these extended cuts don't bother going through a re-rating process. This doesn't mean that it'll be the "R-rated" version that many people were hoping for.

Here's hoping the new cut contains more than just extra Joker scenes. We don't need any more of those.

[gallery=6379]

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Hmmm, more might help this movie... or it will make is so much more muddled than it already was. If anything I would want to see the cut they did in the prescreenings. I had heard a lot of positive feed back from those and when those same people saw the theatrical release they seemed pretty disappointed.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Surprising absolutely no one. This seems to be the way DC operates at this point. Make a movie, cut out way too much important plot related material, and then release an extended cut that helps to clarify some of the worst plot holes. But how many other scenes, that needed to be cut, are also getting back in?

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
so DC releases movies in an unwatchable state, makes a trainwreck that everyone wants to see, then releases the SAME movie but not neutered and makes money AGAIN from people. this is genius.
make people pay twice for the same movie

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
sagitel said:
so DC releases movies in an unwatchable state, makes a trainwreck that everyone wants to see, then releases the SAME movie but not neutered and makes money AGAIN from people. this is genius.
Blame Lord of the Rings Extended Edition.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
to be fair 3:20, 3:50 and 4 hours are a little too long for a theater release.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Is DC trying to make this into a common practice, this is basically movie DLC, that the people who went to the cinema will have to pay extra to see the full experience, and it's not like the extended version made Batman v Superman that much different, it was just more filler with one or two motivations cleared.

To this day I'm still pissed about Watchmen, that had a theatrical release, then a director's cut that was an extended version and then ANOTHER extended version, bringing a 2.5 hours of "eh", to a staggering 3.5 hours of "meh"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
sagitel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
Did not stop Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia and Star Wars from being critical successes and box office smashes.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
Did not stop Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia and Star Wars from being critical successes and box office smashes.
starwars never breaks 3 hours the closest they come is 142 minutes in attack of the clones. godfather series only the second part goes above 3 hours and that is 3:20. equal to the shotrest of the LOTR moves. lawrence of arabia is like the second part of godfather. so i still stand by my statement that LOTR movies are a too long for a theatrical release

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
sagitel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
starwars never breaks 3 hours the closest they come is 142 minutes in attack of the clones. godfather series only the second part goes above 3 hours and that is 3:20. equal to the shotrest of the LOTR moves. lawrence of arabia is like the second part of godfather. so i still stand by my statement that LOTR movies are a too long for a theatrical release
But damn watching the early Star Wars movies in their entirety felt long. The longest being Return of the Jedi, after the Jaba the Hutt part it felt like it drags.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Zacharious-khan said:
I don't think 13 minutes of anything could fix what was wrong with Suicide Squad
I'll take 13 more minutes of Margot in booty shorts please.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I find it funny that Marter doesn't want anymore Joker scenes, but I want to see all the footage that they shot of Leto. According to an interview there was enough there for a Joker movie alone, and my biggest problem with him in the film was that outside of the flashback scenes, his presence in the film was absolutely unnecessary to the plot in any way, shape, or form. But aside from that I felt he did a great job of the portrayal of the Joker outside of the overzealous use of tattoos and would love to get to see more of him in the role.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
These are crazy times we live in. Marvel is killing it in the movie department while their comics are fucking awful and DC's movies are terrible while the new comics are all really good.

Wtf mate?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
They unfortunately didn't notice that LotR is already really good and the extended cuts are of the same quality, there's just more of it.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I know Suicide Squad wasn't everyone's cup of tea (personally, I enjoyed it but also acknowledged the film was very flawed in numerous ways), but I'm excited for an Extended Cut. I enjoyed the original cut, so I'll probably enjoy the Extended Cut.