A View From the Road: What to Avoid Naming Your Aion Character

Sven78

May 27, 2009
ChaosTheory3133 said:
I have been guilty of breaking these Commandments.
p.s. I name my characters off lesser known series too ;)
Me too - it also is a nice start for a conversation when someone knows the name ;).

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I wish it said this at the login screen of every MMO I've ever played.

Tired of trying to pronounce shit like eziekaiyai on vent. (I figured it's ez-ee-keye-eye, but still, sort of annoying to say "EZEEKEYEEYE, PICK UP THE LEFT SIDE WHELPS when 3 other people in the raid have a name starting with 'ez')

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I lol'd at "Heal me! Gspot!"

And I'm SO glad the name Phoenix (ugh) was taken when baby got his first MMO cos it allowed me to make a creative name for myself, Psio. Always use it now and I love it.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Mr Funk, you rock.

I still have vivid memories of the Night Elf Hunter "Ifuknkillya" running around the starting area. And that was on an RP realm. I reported him, but I've seen him a couple of times since, which has led me to believe that Blizzard's GMs suck arse.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I often play dwarves, if available, and often name them Jurij.
I think it's a good fit.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
personally im uncreative so i will either use anime character names or actually names like maxwell or johndoe

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
lol, that was an intersting read.
That list could work for any kind of MMO imo. So many characters could be saved from sounding awfully stupid...
I would like to add names that contains numbers(Mr1337, I'm looking at you!), unecessary spam of a letter on the begining and end of the name(XxXBadNameXxX & IiILULZIiI) and a special attention to people who place their nationality at the end. They drive me crazy.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
im scaj, oh yer, not only is it awesome, possible to say and wonderfully short, it is also my initials which makes it that much less nerdy that im responding to it.

oh and i agree whit mr. funk, but he forgot thou shalt not be overambitious "KillerGodOfDeathAndBlood" sounds awesome, yes, but it dosent really suit a whiny healer who never bothers to level.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I really do try to give my character original names, but dear god every idea seems to be used. So it's really not uncommon to use names from other games.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
Damn...and there I was all ready to type in "DoucheyMcMasengil".

Oh well. Back to my standard "Hugh G. Rection"

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Names with alt characters in them are horrific. Yes, it lets you use names that you mightn't otherwise be able to use but people shouldn't have to consult a chart to figure out how to type your name.

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
I have a dictionary of botanical names on the shelf that I use now for any character names - they're interesting, and pretty much never taken. It's way easier than trying out phonetics to come out with something cool.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
wench said:
I have a dictionary of botanical names on the shelf that I use now for any character names - they're interesting, and pretty much never taken. It's way easier than trying out phonetics to come out with something cool.
I 100% agree with that idea. I'd do that if all my normal names were taken. Normally though, I start with awesome FFT names, move on to my DnD setting names, then its stuff like that after all else fails.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Luckily MMO's seem to avoid the name Ultrajoe for some reason, probably heard about my sweet Ultrarage.

Still, I know a druid called Shapeofa. Cool guy, fun name. Owes me a Raven lord.

Tantalus3D

Nov 5, 2008
Back in the days I played WoW I met a hunter called Dahunter. Yeah, very original. The funny thing is some times later I met a priest called Dapriest and I think it was the same Person.

I prefer the name Tantalus. Its my Nickname since DukeNukem 3D. When it's not available I use Exnor. That sounds like the name of a demon but it's just an abbreviation for "Exclusive Not Or" (A logical operator).

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
This is another reason why I like Champions Online over most other MMOs. You don't need a unique name. Of course, your handle follows you around. So my main on CO is called BAX-Mk.1 (Battle Armor eXtreme :p ) followed by @ CruDurCorp. Which stands for Cruenta-Durandir Corporation. Cruenta is what my girlfriend usually calls herself, and Durandir is my usual username. So since we share the account it fits :D

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I request there be a law against linking to TV Tropes. That little detour when checking out "Luke Nounverber" cost me two hours of my life...

Faultty

Oct 2, 2008
I have a guy in my guild called Legolazs. I CANNOT take him seriously. I can't even judge whether he's really an idiot or not because that name is so bad that everything he says comes out sounding stupid.

No serious guild wants to have a Poopypanter or Drixxle on their raid roster. Your name's part of your first impression, like the suit you wear to an interview. If you were Bob, they'd hire you, but Fartknocker just isn't going to get the job. Boring names aren't bad names. Stupid ones are.

Any guild that allows the following person to join ...
Blowurmom: Oh AHi hao do I joinz ur guild?
... Is a guild full of 14 year olds with dramaz and curfews who ninja loot and insult people in Barrens chat.

BTW: Legolazs is capable of decent DPS which is why he's around, but still, we all treat him like he's 14.