A Wasteland Revisited

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I still think it sucks. Not because anything Fallout, but because I don't like the game. The physics are clunky, animations look like crap, you're back to the free-floating fridge of the 90's era shooters and the storyline comes off as an after-the-fact pastiche featuring some big-name voice actors.

In my opinion it's hurt by its flashy graphics more than anything. Personally I'd be more inclined to glaze over most of those faults if the graphics had a fittingly low-res feeling and the price tag was about a fifth of what it was on release.

I'm not convinced this particular gamedesign was best fitted to an FPS. It feels contrived, in my opinion.

Call me a retard all you want; I suppose calling someone a retard with a retarded argument is all biblical an' shit.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
Completely wrong. I got bored, tired and generally turned from Fallout 3 exactly because I went around exploring. Maybe if I had gone strait for the storyline and the ending, I might have ended up with just another example of fun but increasingly short mainstream videogames; the way it stands now, though, is that after the first few hours the boring landscape, bland characters, tedious inventory micro management (running back and forth between questing and storing loot) I got so bored with the game I just gave up and probably never even made it anywhere near the ending.

Maybe I'll go back and play it with some mods, like Shamus wrote about, but otherwise the game will forever be in my "meh" category -- it's not exactly bad, but it's so boring that it's irrelevant.

P.S. And don't give me any crap about how post-apocalyptic world is not supposed to be interesting or captivating. Because, 1) we play videogames for fun, and if it's not fun, it doesn't matter how realistic it is, in fact, it will suck even more because of that; and 2) Fallout and Fallout 2 are set in exactly the same dead world, yet manage to be fun and interesting.

BOONRULZ

Aug 23, 2009
Valdsator said:
I rushed through the game until I got stuck in a museum with all broken limbs and no ammo. Luckily, I rented it so it wasn't a waste of money. A couple months later or so, my friend bought Fallout 3. I decided I should give it another try and now I'm planning to buy it on the PC. :p
The PC version is a pretty good one.Ive messed around with it so much now that the game sucks so i just start a new game.If you buy the PC one you wont regret it, it's really good and to all of you who hate the ending of FO3 then you should get the Broken Steel downloadable content.It lets you continue the game from the ending and i have to say its pretty awesome.But the downside is that the Zeta Spaceship downloadable content is the last one that Bethesda is making so i would try to take in as much Fallout 3 as you can.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Most of my issues with Fallout 3 were not with the game itself but rather glitches and odd behaviors I noticed. I enjoyed walking around the countryside and exploring, until I'd get stuck in some world geometry AGAIN and have to reload back 30 minutes previous. I enjoyed talking to other people exploring UNTIL they'd attack me for no apparent reason (and no I'm not referring to the guys who are SUPPOSED to attack you.) Or the time I accidentally hit someone in a town and that caused the entire town to attack me and chase me out like I was Frankenstein's monster, which of course caused the Auto-save to stick me as public enemy #1 until I had to reload a save from 1 1/2 hours previous to clear my name. Finally, while I understand it's more "realistic", I can't stand games with equipment degradation.

I've desperately tried to like Fallout 3 in spite of all these issues, and I can easily see how someone could declare this their GOTY, but for me if I have to try this hard to like something, it's probably not worth liking in the first place.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
WhiteTiger225 said:
GodsOneMistake said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
johnman said:
I tried to slow my pace down and enjoy the wasteland, but I just couldn't. I'm no old fallout fan, the entire game just felt boring to me. I've been spoiled by Stalker's zone I think, which is much more atmospheric and interesting.
I wouldn't call it Atmospheric and interesting... But what I will say is this..

The main reason MOST retards can't like fallout 3 is this... and your post summed it up nicely... When they see guns in an FPS view the first thing every retarded Halo fan will shout is "ZOMIGAWD A FURST PURSHON SHOOTAR!" Fallout 3 is an ACTION RPG, NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER! For god sakes you just compared Stalker, a FPS open world with some equipment management, to a GOD DAMN ACTION RPG that just HAPPENS to have guns XD Now if you said you would rather play Fable 2, or something like that, then I would understand, but comparing 2 different genres isn't only unfair, it's retarded.
Nice use of the word retarded... -.- No body will take you seriously unless you clean up your language and remove all emotions from the text
Yes, because lord knows no one fucking swears on this cunting webserver you call the motherfucking bullshitting internet.... right? :p
I'm sorry but I just had to laugh at this; WhiteTiger225, cheers, you made my day.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Matey said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Razorback0z said:
"I wanted to love Fallout 3 when it was launched. I was not sitting around carping about Black Isle's discarded isometric revival, Van Buren. I had accepted the fate of the franchise and its inescapable need to be a mass market product with multiple avenues of distribution. I am practical about the reality of the video game market"

I wanted to love it too. I also shared your realistic view on the way FA3 was to be presented, despite my revulsion.

But unlike you I have not softened my view on it. Time has not made my glasses any rosier on the topic of the demise of the fallout franshise and it is a demise.

One of the most complex, rich and detailed RPG's of all time has been reduced to an FPS.

End of story.

Nice work Bethesda.
I just lol at this XD

A company WELL KNOWN for First person view Action RPGs gets ahold of the game, and you think they are going to change what makes them, well, them? And honestly, if Fallout 1-2 was so great and extraordinary... Why did Black Isle go out of buisness? And why is it they couldn't even get enough money to keep the rights to the Fallout MMO? I liked Fallout 1-2 when I first played them, they were damn decent games (Had some gaping holes in the game though, like missing NPCs for quests and such) and were rough jewels of their time. But times have changed. Black Isle didn't make as much money as they hoped and are now a companies *****, while the company that made them their ***** has made a game that has made multi millions, and doing 1000's of percentiles better in sales then the old versions. Can you HONESTLY, with a straight face, tell me that Fo3 would have been better in both gameplay AND sales if it was left isometric turn based gridlocked movement like its predecessor? Bethesda took a risk by picking up a mostly dead franchise that was slowly being buried with time, and they took a risk adapting it to THEIR style instead of the original owners style, and I applaud them for that. And honestly, how can you call the franchise dead? From what I see it's a well selling game thats only unaccepted by 3 groups. The purist fanboys, the Retards who expected it to be a fullout FPS like STALKER or CoD4, and the people who actually legitemetly just don't like it because of meer taste, which honestly that I can accept. This isn't the franchises death, this is the Franchise's rebirth into the modern world of gaming.

Next you will say Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" is going to suck because he changed it from the original bright and colorful to his own gothic styled envisionment XD
if it had been true to the originals. had a better thought out game world... had an isometric view... had better dialogue, better quests, better comedy, better combat. (sorry i shouldn't say better... i should say similar to the original) then i know for a fact it wouldn't have been as successful as it was. i have no doubt about that. but i do believe they could have done a way better job on the writing for dialogue and story. and they could have animated the characters expressions and body language much better. and make the combat less repetitive... and it would have done even better than it did. i understand the isometric version had to go in order to appeal to larger crowds. and making games is about making money. its not the style that upsets me. its the lack of effort put into making the story and setting coherent. tell me how there can be a scattering of settlements that are so poorly defended that a single traveler with an assault rifle can wipe them off the map... and yet they survive in a wasteland that has a 500 to 1 ratio of hostiles to neutral/friendlies.
then tell me how they feed themselves with no food. or how they have rich people with no source of income. also explain to me how 250 years after the apocalypse... there are still vaults and buildings all over the place that have not been looted. anyways. like i said the writing and level of detail in the setting and story sucked, although it looked real pretty. VATS got annoying fast(wow look at me miss the target in slow motion!). and having to fight everything all the time also sucked. and its a very weak RPG since you spend 95% of your time wandering around killing shit. not to mention the quests are almost always "go here and kill stuff" or "go here and find something(which involves going to a location full of hostiles).

ok done ranting for now.
its still a decent game. i have mixed feelings about it... fallout 3 brought a ton of new fans to the fallout universe... which is good... except a lot of them have never and will never play the originals which were far better rpgs.

also why does everyone say comparing stalker and fallout 3 is unfair?
i admit i havent finished stalker. ive only put in a couple hours. but i started it off... talked to an npc. got a quest. wandered around completed the quest. talked to some npcs. decided on wether to help or kill some guys. solved quests in different ways... went back talked to some npcs... got more quests... it seemed pretty damn similar to me. the only big difference is the lack of the character creation and level up...
"also why does everyone say comparing stalker and fallout 3 is unfair?
i admit i havent finished stalker. ive only put in a couple hours. but i started it off... talked to an npc. got a quest. wandered around completed the quest. talked to some npcs. decided on wether to help or kill some guys. solved quests in different ways... went back talked to some npcs... got more quests... it seemed pretty damn similar to me. the only big difference is the lack of the character creation and level up..."

Well in that case then we can call STALKER the same game as Fable, or the same game as Assassin's Creed, or the same game as Oblivion, or the same game as many other non-FPS games. STALKER will appeal to a much different audience more often then what Fo3 would appeal to. STALKER had the exploring and quests, but deep down it was a Survival FPS. Fo3 on the other hand was an Action RPG deep down.

And as for the complaints "How are the rich rich without any source of income, how do they survive without food? How do small settlements survive against numerous hostiles since they are outnumbered 500 to 1" Well my friend, I can find MANY problems via plotholes, inconsistencies, unanswered (And really over thinking) questions with Fallout 1-2. How are the ghouls flesh gone yet their vital organs still are intact despite being bathed in radiation? How come a bullet can penetrate the carapace of a giant scorpian despite the fact the armored shell would be far to hard to even scratch? How come radiation poisoning has no long lasting effects after flushing it from your system? How come you can take 20 bullets and not die of blood loss? How come you can be hit by a rocket and not die 1 hit at higher levels from simply the rubble it knocks up or the change of air pressure liquifying your brain? See... if I overthink things too I can go ahead and find "Issues" with fallout 1-2.

I mean... just ask yourself this... "How come they had fusion power vehicles and full functioning robots and the ability to transplant brains yet they never really discovered gas powered weapons or vehicles"

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Woodsey said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
johnman said:
I tried to slow my pace down and enjoy the wasteland, but I just couldn't. I'm no old fallout fan, the entire game just felt boring to me. I've been spoiled by Stalker's zone I think, which is much more atmospheric and interesting.

The main reason MOST retards can't like fallout 3 is this... and your post summed it up nicely... When they see guns in an FPS view the first thing every retarded Halo fan will shout is "ZOMIGAWD A FURST PURSHON SHOOTAR!" Fallout 3 is an ACTION RPG, NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER! For god sakes you just compared Stalker, a FPS open world with some equipment management, to a GOD DAMN ACTION RPG that just HAPPENS to have guns XD Now if you said you would rather play Fable 2, or something like that, then I would understand, but comparing 2 different genres isn't only unfair, it's retarded.
Wow.

I'm not a 'retard' (as you so delicately put it) and I didn't like Fallout 3. What does that make me?
A big retard for not reading what I wrote :p If you actually read all of what I said, I was calling retard on the people who go ahead and come into Fo3 expecting a post apoc FPS game, despite the company making it being WELL known for Action RPGs. I am also calling retard on the people that go about and say "Well, Fallout 3 still isn't as good as Call of Duty 4 or STALKER" and why? Because that's like me saying I prefer cake over hamburgers. Yes cake usually does taste better then Hamburgers, but Cake is a Desert and Hamburgers are a dinner/lunch food. You can't compare fairly, two different genres.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
Matey said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Razorback0z said:
"I wanted to love Fallout 3 when it was launched. I was not sitting around carping about Black Isle's discarded isometric revival, Van Buren. I had accepted the fate of the franchise and its inescapable need to be a mass market product with multiple avenues of distribution. I am practical about the reality of the video game market"

I wanted to love it too. I also shared your realistic view on the way FA3 was to be presented, despite my revulsion.

But unlike you I have not softened my view on it. Time has not made my glasses any rosier on the topic of the demise of the fallout franshise and it is a demise.

One of the most complex, rich and detailed RPG's of all time has been reduced to an FPS.

End of story.

Nice work Bethesda.
I just lol at this XD

A company WELL KNOWN for First person view Action RPGs gets ahold of the game, and you think they are going to change what makes them, well, them? And honestly, if Fallout 1-2 was so great and extraordinary... Why did Black Isle go out of buisness? And why is it they couldn't even get enough money to keep the rights to the Fallout MMO? I liked Fallout 1-2 when I first played them, they were damn decent games (Had some gaping holes in the game though, like missing NPCs for quests and such) and were rough jewels of their time. But times have changed. Black Isle didn't make as much money as they hoped and are now a companies *****, while the company that made them their ***** has made a game that has made multi millions, and doing 1000's of percentiles better in sales then the old versions. Can you HONESTLY, with a straight face, tell me that Fo3 would have been better in both gameplay AND sales if it was left isometric turn based gridlocked movement like its predecessor? Bethesda took a risk by picking up a mostly dead franchise that was slowly being buried with time, and they took a risk adapting it to THEIR style instead of the original owners style, and I applaud them for that. And honestly, how can you call the franchise dead? From what I see it's a well selling game thats only unaccepted by 3 groups. The purist fanboys, the Retards who expected it to be a fullout FPS like STALKER or CoD4, and the people who actually legitemetly just don't like it because of meer taste, which honestly that I can accept. This isn't the franchises death, this is the Franchise's rebirth into the modern world of gaming.

Next you will say Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" is going to suck because he changed it from the original bright and colorful to his own gothic styled envisionment XD
if it had been true to the originals. had a better thought out game world... had an isometric view... had better dialogue, better quests, better comedy, better combat. (sorry i shouldn't say better... i should say similar to the original) then i know for a fact it wouldn't have been as successful as it was. i have no doubt about that. but i do believe they could have done a way better job on the writing for dialogue and story. and they could have animated the characters expressions and body language much better. and make the combat less repetitive... and it would have done even better than it did. i understand the isometric version had to go in order to appeal to larger crowds. and making games is about making money. its not the style that upsets me. its the lack of effort put into making the story and setting coherent. tell me how there can be a scattering of settlements that are so poorly defended that a single traveler with an assault rifle can wipe them off the map... and yet they survive in a wasteland that has a 500 to 1 ratio of hostiles to neutral/friendlies.
then tell me how they feed themselves with no food. or how they have rich people with no source of income. also explain to me how 250 years after the apocalypse... there are still vaults and buildings all over the place that have not been looted. anyways. like i said the writing and level of detail in the setting and story sucked, although it looked real pretty. VATS got annoying fast(wow look at me miss the target in slow motion!). and having to fight everything all the time also sucked. and its a very weak RPG since you spend 95% of your time wandering around killing shit. not to mention the quests are almost always "go here and kill stuff" or "go here and find something(which involves going to a location full of hostiles).

ok done ranting for now.
its still a decent game. i have mixed feelings about it... fallout 3 brought a ton of new fans to the fallout universe... which is good... except a lot of them have never and will never play the originals which were far better rpgs.

also why does everyone say comparing stalker and fallout 3 is unfair?
i admit i havent finished stalker. ive only put in a couple hours. but i started it off... talked to an npc. got a quest. wandered around completed the quest. talked to some npcs. decided on wether to help or kill some guys. solved quests in different ways... went back talked to some npcs... got more quests... it seemed pretty damn similar to me. the only big difference is the lack of the character creation and level up...
"also why does everyone say comparing stalker and fallout 3 is unfair?
i admit i havent finished stalker. ive only put in a couple hours. but i started it off... talked to an npc. got a quest. wandered around completed the quest. talked to some npcs. decided on wether to help or kill some guys. solved quests in different ways... went back talked to some npcs... got more quests... it seemed pretty damn similar to me. the only big difference is the lack of the character creation and level up..."

Well in that case then we can call STALKER the same game as Fable, or the same game as Assassin's Creed, or the same game as Oblivion, or the same game as many other non-FPS games. STALKER will appeal to a much different audience more often then what Fo3 would appeal to. STALKER had the exploring and quests, but deep down it was a Survival FPS. Fo3 on the other hand was an Action RPG deep down.

And as for the complaints "How are the rich rich without any source of income, how do they survive without food? How do small settlements survive against numerous hostiles since they are outnumbered 500 to 1" Well my friend, I can find MANY problems via plotholes, inconsistencies, unanswered (And really over thinking) questions with Fallout 1-2. How are the ghouls flesh gone yet their vital organs still are intact despite being bathed in radiation? How come a bullet can penetrate the carapace of a giant scorpian despite the fact the armored shell would be far to hard to even scratch? How come radiation poisoning has no long lasting effects after flushing it from your system? How come you can take 20 bullets and not die of blood loss? How come you can be hit by a rocket and not die 1 hit at higher levels from simply the rubble it knocks up or the change of air pressure liquifying your brain? See... if I overthink things too I can go ahead and find "Issues" with fallout 1-2.

I mean... just ask yourself this... "How come they had fusion power vehicles and full functioning robots and the ability to transplant brains yet they never really discovered gas powered weapons or vehicles"
yeah i see your point. to be fair though, thats more game mechanics than story setting, or design. and the vast majority of the things you mention hold true to fallout 3 as well. and some of them hold true to just about every game involving guns. anyways i realize over thinking and over analyzing can lead me to being disappointed with some games. my expectations are not usually so high. but due to my love of fallout 1 and 2 i couldn't help but have very high expectations for fallout 3. and i just don't feel that it was as good as it should have been.

oh and i think there is a lot more that separates STALKER and fable than there is separating fallout 3 and stalker. same for assassins creed.
the combat in fallout and stalker are similar to the exception of VATS, and the option to put more points into one weapon type than another. ill play more STALKER someday and maybe change my mind... but they still seem pretty close to me. i wanted more RPG and less shooty in fallout 3. whereas STALKER being not a sequel to epic RPGs... im quite happy with it being a shooter.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
WhiteTiger225 said:
Woodsey said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
johnman said:

Wow.

I'm not a 'retard' (as you so delicately put it) and I didn't like Fallout 3. What does that make me?
A big retard for not reading what I wrote :p If you actually read all of what I said, I was calling retard on the people who go ahead and come into Fo3 expecting a post apoc FPS game, despite the company making it being WELL known for Action RPGs. I am also calling retard on the people that go about and say "Well, Fallout 3 still isn't as good as Call of Duty 4 or STALKER" and why? Because that's like me saying I prefer cake over hamburgers. Yes cake usually does taste better then Hamburgers, but Cake is a Desert and Hamburgers are a dinner/lunch food. You can't compare fairly, two different genres.
Alright you got me xD

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I had the same experience. The second time I ended up finding and saving some smaller communities, didn't blow up Megaton the first chance I got, and overall pretended that I was Mad Max the entire game. It was a surprisingly enriching experience.