Abortion....why?

pyrokin

May 13, 2011
My biology teacher recently taught us about the eight characteristics of life. I like to justify my pro-choice attitude with that, as fetuses cannot be a living thing as neither a virus. They are, in biological terms, both nonliving things. A living thing must have, and use the processes by themselves, all of these eight: Response, Growth, reproduction, energy, cells, universal genetic code, Homeostasis.

I'm pretty sure fetuses cannot do some of those things on their own, so as far as I'm concerned, no it's not bad. To be honest, I think abortion is another argument used to avoid the actual issues.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Abortion isn't in the Bible. Interestingly enough, killing babies is...though not exactly condemned.

The reason most Christians is against it is because they believe in the soul, something you apparently gain at conception, and because life is a gift from God. The idea is basically that life is so important that it should be preserved at all costs.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I am for the right to abortion.
Why would one not be?

Please stop pushing your religious views on people that have no interest in them.
Because lets face it, most "pro-lifers" are christian.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Stublore said:
Daverson said:
The thing with the pro-life argument is that's it's a slippery slope! If we outlaw killing a zygote, then it won't be long before we start outlawing masturbation (and probably by extension, Sodomy) on the grounds that it's denying sperm their right to live long and healthy lives, what about sex, I mean, how many sperm don't make it? That's all murder there. And what about menstruation? That's got to be murder! It's got blood and everything! SLIPPERY SLOPE! D=

(It's satire, before anyone points out how ridiculous that was. Though I suppose the only way you can really try to get a point to the fanatics is at their own level...)
The problem with fanatics is that they don't do satire :(.
I assume you mean though,counter a ridiculous idea with another equally ridiculous idea?
That's the best bit! The fanatics won't even realize we're making fun of them! >=)

They love to throw around the slippery slope argument, as in, if we allow [x], it won't be long before we allow [something terrible and/or ridiculous]. You know, complete nonsense like "if we allow gay marriage, it won't be long before we let people marry their own children!"