About H.P Lovecraft

arcainia

May 16, 2008
Thank you again. I just started reading Call of Cthulhu, and I'll read...everything else, tomorrow;
But now, I'm going to sleep. Good night everyone.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Anyone know where to get these books in America? I had a few but they were in my car when it got stolen and i can't find any of them anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alwaysrockon

Sep 24, 2008
Jester Lord said:
Anyone know where to get these books in America? I had a few but they were in my car when it got stolen and i can't find any of them anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
barnes and nobles. but hey! if that dont work try ebay, craigslist, or amazon. or just steal a car and hope there are books in there. at least thats what i did :p

BigKingBob

Aug 27, 2008
He released 50 or so stories and poems. The longest works he wrote are probably only 80 pages maximum.

Reading Lovecraft is an experience, you've got to get your mind in the game (so to speak) in order to wrap your head around the language, I find it helps to read it out loud if there's a section that just doesn't seem to scan.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Lovecraft's work is beautiful though I've never found it horrifying.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
I dont find literature in general scary. Its that i can read the vague descriptiuon of Cthuhlu nd look at drawings of him but he isnt that scary in print. On the other hand, if he really existed and i saw him tomorrow it would be a lot more traumatizing than if i saw a vampire.
Its the bleak disturbing hoplessness thats creepy about it. It seeps into your bones and makes you pray it doesnt exist.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Muphin_Mann said:
I dont find literature in general scary.
Ditto.

I do (rarely) find literature creepy, though. There's a scene in Jack Cady's "The Night We Buried Road Dog" that really worked well for me in that regard.

-- Alex

The Overmatt

Oct 4, 2008
Definitely a Lovecraft fan here. As much as I agree about rarely finding literature scary, I find some of his stuff, if read in just the right atmosphere or frame of mind, really works for some good chills.

My personal favourite story is The Haunter of the Dark, though all the ones previously mentioned are just as good. The Colour Out of Space freaked the hell outta me.

Valandar

Jan 11, 2009
The best part about most of Lovecraft's work is that he never really 'reveals' the monster until the very end. By the time he lets you know what you're dealing with, it's too late for the protagonist (I would not deign to call most of them 'heroes' - they rarely succeed) to do anything but gibber in insanity or send a warning out into the ether as they die.

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
I've only just gotten into His works, and so far my favorites are:

The Shadow Over Innsmouth(the story that first introduced me to him)
Cool Air
Herbert West -- Reanimator
The Terrible Old Man
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward(my most recently read)

Right now, I'm reading "The Shadow Out of Time".

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
throwing in my obligatory two cents here....

first, to the OP: Lovecraft didn't write full length novels, only short stories originally published in pulp magazines...

second, i'd like to nominate The Dreams in the Witch House as his scariest work, and my personal favorite as well...

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
I've read 6 or 7 of his stories, and they are pretty good for the most part. Cthulhu was kind of disappointing because of how famous that story is, but I still enjoyed it. I prefer a few of his other ones, with "Colour out of Space" being my favorite.

I really enjoy how he describes his monsters. So much of it is left up to imagination that it you get a wide range of artistic interpretations.

Silvertongue

Jul 2, 2008
I'm going to skip rehashing the lists of recommended reads. Honestly, I think that if you're into reading something Lovecraft INSPIRED before hand, read a little bit of Stephen King.

I've just now started reading the Dark Tower series (on Wastelands right now), so I'm not well versed in his work, but he cites Lovecraft as his primary inspiration, so you may wish to give it a try.

Though I'll probably be ridiculed for suggesting this, Wikipedia is not a bad place if you just want to wrap your head around a piece of his mythos, first.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I love the way Lovecraft writes and I own these books:
Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories [http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780142180037,00.html?The_Thing_on_the_Doorstep_and_Other_Weird_Stories_H._P._Lovecraft]
Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories [http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780141182346,00.html?The_Call_of_Cthulhu_and_Other_Weird_Stories_H._P._Lovecraft]
Dreams in Witch House and Other Weird Stories [http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781440616488,00.html?The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House_H._P._Lovecraft]

All exceptional books that I recommend (between them they have most if not all of his short stories, with some of his longer ones). I would read Lovecraft, if for nothing else, because you won't see anything else like it. Some of my favorite stories were written by him. And, yes, while some of his works are predictable (ex: The Lurking Fear) they are still worth the read.
The only problem I have with him is that sometimes it takes a while to get anywhere and he kinda uses the whole "it was beyond insanity and undescribable" phrase a lot.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
arcainia said:
I'll probaby get laughed at for admitting this, but uh, I've never read any of H.P Lovecraft's books.
Don't feel bad, half of my English teachers haven't even heard of him either. I only found him by chance, but I consider myself very lucky that I did.

bmf185

Jan 8, 2009
Valandar said:
NO Lovecraft-based movie has come even close to what he actually wrote, with the POSSIBLE exception of "The Reanimator"
Agreed. Except I think that movie is awesome. Someone could probably make a pretty awesome Cthulhu movie with modern technology (think The Host but ten times cooler).

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Theres also a Role-playing game (pen and paper) which is amazing, never have i lost so many characters in one night:

Example:
GM : So who was sleeping next to the windows on the train
3 of the group say they were
GM: Well your dead! gen a new character, haha fools!!

No warning no saving throws just dead.

Also theres a movie called Dagon thats very cool and gruesome, try and find it to watch.
And i happen to think without Lovecraft you probably wouldnt have people like Stephen King and Clive Barker writing today.

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
I want to see the movie version of "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".

Fudj said:
Theres also a Role-playing game (pen and paper) which is amazing, never have i lost so many characters in one night:

Example:
GM : So who was sleeping next to the windows on the train
3 of the group say they were
GM: Well your dead! gen a new character, haha fools!!

No warning no saving throws just dead.

Also theres a movie called Dagon thats very cool and gruesome, try and find it to watch.
And i happen to think without Lovecraft you probably wouldnt have people like Stephen King and Clive Barker writing today.
Is there a site with instructions for this game?