About H.P Lovecraft

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Most of the real details can be gleaned from here http://www.hplovecraft.com/

The Call Of Cthulu and The Mountains of Madness are probably his best known works, and I know they've been included in a lot of the "Classics" sections along with Jane Eyre etc.

His work is a little tough to get through, due to his weird word usage, but the sheer story behind it makes it a joy(if that's the right word) to read.

Be warned : He's not very nice, quite chauvenistic and racist at times; but that was more the times than the writer.
I'd consider Jane Eyre utter crap and not a classic, but that's just my opinion.

What this man says is true.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
Debatra said:
Is there a site with instructions for this game?
ta [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_Horror]-dow [http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987]

I thought about getting it, but to be frank, the game is HUGE.
(even without the expansion packs)

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
I've not read much, but I did enjoy 'At the Mountains of Madness' and 'the Call of Cthulhu'. (That second one is only a short story, however.)

You can find At the Mountains of Madness with a few other stories, but the compilation does have that title.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
It took me a while to find any paper copies of his work, and that one cost me something like 100-150 US dollars. I did not hesitate seeing how hard it is to come by his work just by chance (Order it in!). On the upside it was printed on bible paper, making it ironic and a good read at the same time.

He is one of the last old horror writers, who knew it was better to throw your readers into a twisted world that strains the human imagination. Then let their minds run wild, let them come up with the horrors that might, or might not, of been seen. Cause the readier can imagine what would scare them better then any long dead writer.

Wish a lot more horror, games, movies and books, would take the same approach. 'Startling' isn't horror at all!

Oh and a final warning, he wrote these books probably more then 100 years ago now, there are certain racial terms within that might offend some readers. Nor is the general mindset of much of the community of that time 'sugar coated,' that being that blacks where less advanced then the whites and Hispanics even less then blacks. Some come away with the idea that his works are racist for this reason, they might be right, they might not. The guy is too long in the grave to answer it for us.

In any case Lovecrafts use of the language is some of the deepest use of the English language you will ever find this side of Shakespeare. It is twisted, dark and probably can be considered to be assaulting to your brain at times, all which makes it fun and entertaining.

Read, your vocabulary will thank you.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
He's not a Hollywood monster, I wouldn't want anyone to make him out like that in a film, he's an intelligent, godlike being who simply wants to crush the pests that are infesting his planet.
I don't even think he is really wanting to crush us. I mean it is always OUR interpretation that this god like being wants to destroy us all. No one has ever asked him and his followers are all a little bit wracked in the head they can't speak for him either. The real problem surrounding Cthulhu is that he is a avatar of chaos, true chaos not some Hollywood where chaos equals evil desire to destroy everything. That means will never be able to understand how this being thinks, we couldn't even function in close proximity of him seeing all laws such as physics goes out the window around such a being.

It's doubtful he gives us a serious thought at all. Probably doesn't care that his cult exists, worshipping him would be just another hierarchy of order. He would be more preoccupied in other beings like him, other 'elder/ancient/insert description here ones,' whom his kind are at war with. We would just be crushed under his feet like ants, with probably as much thought as we give these tiny creatures while we are busy trying to kill each other.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Debatra said:
There are whole RPG books out there, the title isn't surprisingly 'call of cthulhu.' The whole idea of the game is to be an ordinary person, thrown into a chaotic situation well out of your depth. The outcome, always, is either two things: Death or Insanity.

A good GM though should never take the death rout too easily, that is if the player screw up and does something stupid which the only outcome is death. A sudden 'you are dead' is just poor GMing, even within this setting! No the real purpose of the game is to make your players lose their 'sanity check' and become drooling screaming wrecks suitable only for a padded room.

If you're real good; the characters will be insane while the player will be bugging you with "What did I just see, come on, tell me, what the hell did I just see?!"

Never answer them....

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Jinx_Dragon said:
Debatra said:
There are whole RPG books out there, the title isn't surprisingly 'call of cthulhu.' The whole idea of the game is to be an ordinary person, thrown into a chaotic situation well out of your depth. The outcome, always, is either two things: Death or Insanity.

A good GM though should never take the death rout too easily, that is if the player screw up and does something stupid which the only outcome is death. A sudden 'you are dead' is just poor GMing, even within this setting! No the real purpose of the game is to make your players lose their 'sanity check' and become drooling screaming wrecks suitable only for a padded room.

If you're real good; the characters will be insane while the player will be bugging you with "What did I just see, come on, tell me, what the hell did I just see?!"

Never answer them....
The use of the "Your Dead" line was only ever used once in the semi pre-written adventure that came with one of the books which was based on the orient express and involved a werewolf or something similar. but the fun is to send people insane, even better when you creep out your players to the point they have nightmares......good lord i have missed GM'ing that game, think i might go write up an adventure and corral the old group togeather hehe.

Werewolf/Vampire and DnD have you as a larger then life heroic character and are very much player games, this one is all about the GM, oh and as to getting rules for it just go to your closest role-playing shop or bookstore.....they will probably have no idea what your on about but you might get lucky.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
The problem is that Cthulhu is pretty much the ultimate entity of insanity and destruction, driving those that see him crazy and devouring the souls of those around him. He is immortal, we're pretty much equal to ants compared to him. The only wounds he's ever had was when someone rammed a steamship into his head, and he instantly began to recover (see the Call of Cthulhu).

He's not a Hollywood monster, I wouldn't want anyone to make him out like that in a film, he's an intelligent, godlike being who simply wants to crush the pests that are infesting his planet. I don't think you could do it like the Host. I hate to say it, but I'd rather see it more like Cloverfield. Not the terrible acting or camera control, but the very slow reveal of the monster, a leg here, a tentacle there, and instead show what his effects on people are. I can just picture him attacking a city, and the characters' seeing the results...waves of destruction, events that could only be explained as 'magical', people running through the streets, or weeping on the ground, driven mad by the simple appearance of Cthulhu's terror. Maybe even include his psychic powers, having him whisper into the minds of the characters, etc. You could make a fantastic movie about Cthulhu...without even seeing him!

The only problem is that an ending would be hard...it has to be depressing and nhilistic like Lovecraft's endings, and once Cthulhu's released it's impossible to stop him with our technology...
Feh. They plow a boat into him and he goes away until the next time that "the stars are right". How is that any different from just another big ugly kaiju?

-- Alex