Acknowledging Blackout, Politicians Ditch SOPA

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
I have to chuckle at all the Escapist users who complained that this wouldn't work.
/chuckle.

Now that I'm done with that - INTERNET, FUCK YES.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
TIME FOR CELEBRATION

While I wish that Facebook and Youtube would have blacked out as well, at least Google is supporting the protest. (Go look at their banner)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
To all the people going "how will the blackout actually help?" or "it's just inconvenient and can't change anything"-

I rest my case.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Damn... the black out worked that well, that quickly? I guess people gotta remember, dont fuck with the internet...

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
implodinggoat said:
I called my congressman (Patrick Mchenry (R)-NC) today and his aides said that he planned to vote against it.

From the sound of the guy I got on the phone this was definitely not the first call he'd gotten about SOPA today.
That's good it saves me a phone call I'm from Burke County and was ready to let NC politicians know that if they vote for this BS act they shouldn't expect my vote in coming elections.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Damn... the black out worked that well, that quickly? I guess people gotta remember, dont fuck with the internet...
Like others have said, I think there would have been even more of an impact if Google or Youtube did their own blackout. Those are sites I use -daily-. Millions of other people do as well.

Oliver Pink

Apr 3, 2010
Well, I for one find this to be encouraging...

BUT

I'm not going to stop protesting until this thing is dead and LONG buried. I will personally sit on the grave with my picket to make sure it doesn't turn into a zombie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G4CnU1WDrs

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
dogstile said:
People across the world, of all ethnicity's and religions banding together for a common cause. Never thought i'd see the day, its beautiful.
So the internet is capable of something more than silly cat images and ranting. Beautiful indeed.
So as someone said above: Next we eradicate SOPA and PIPA completely and bring about world peace. :D

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Back and forth, back and forth, the SOPA waves sway back and forth.

In all seriousness, I'm impressed the internet was able to sway portions of Congress in a single day.

SOPA: 1
Internet: 2

The ball is in their court, let's see how they play it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Palademon said:
This calls for..

...well I guess a small victory screech.
Fine, I'll chip in.

OT: Good to hear. All they needed was a little kick in the pants.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Wow internet activision that doesn't involve Anonymous actually works! What did we need Anonymous for again?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
gyroscopeboy said:
Wow internet activision that doesn't involve Anonymous actually works! What did we need Anonymous for again?
I'm actually surprised, I haven't heard a -word- on them.

I'm just waiting for a big "We told you so" or something.
But not a thing.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
We have them on the run! Now let's all gather in the US, find ourselves some arms and then BEGIN THE REVOLUTION!

<>

....yay! Internet won!

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
Kross said:
Kevlar Eater said:
I'm a bit disappointed that Google hasn't completely shut down its service, worldwide, in protest to SOPA and PIPA. That would have sent an even clearer message to the masses on top of everything else.
Today was more of a WARNING SHOT from the Internet.
Why did I picture an Iowa class battleship firing a broadside at capitol hill when I read that? Awesome imagery is awesome...(I love my imagination)

Glorious...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
I'm a bit disappointed that Google hasn't completely shut down its service, worldwide, in protest to SOPA and PIPA. That would have sent an even clearer message to the masses on top of everything else.
I agree. I was thinking that Google should have shut down completely (but still allowed access to Gmail) and Youtube should have been shut down as well, since it is owned by Google. Nice to see some results though.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Saltyk said:
Kevlar Eater said:
I agree. I was thinking that Google should have shut down completely (but still allowed access to Gmail) and Youtube should have been shut down as well, since it is owned by Google. Nice to see some results though.
While it would have been great if they did it would have likely crippled the world. I don't think people can go day to day solving their problems without google-ing it...

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
Actually, as for the next battle, i'll let these guys explain.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

(sorry, i couldn't figure out how to embed the video here.)