Actions in Games That Made You Physically Uncomfortable.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
Eddie the head said:
imahobbit4062 said:
And you could have been polite and used spoiler tags, but you didn't.
Yeah but I didn't' think there was anything wrong with that like I said it's been out for a while I thought anyone who cared played it already and I was wrong I guess. You know calling someone a prick is a rude thing to do.

Regardless of that that's no excuse. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Clearly you were wrong. There are a number of reasons someone hasn't gotten the game yet. Not enough spare cash, not enough time, distracted by other games. Not to mention it's a story heavy game. Regardless of time you don't spoil something that story driven.
Ok you don't need to reiterate that I said I was wrong. Could you just act nicer in the future? Not everyone thinks the same way as you.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Ordering Logan's execution in Fable 3.

Sure he was a prick, but he was doing it for a really valid reason so killing him just always felt wrong. Especially since killing him is the evil option and if you're going with the evil options you end up doing the same shit he did, so it just doesn't make any sense either.

Actually come to think of it, most of the 'evil' choices during that part of Fable 3 made me feel uncomfortable, either because you stab your allies in the back or because you reduce Albion to a festering shithole.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Tries to start thread fostering genuine discussion about the emotional power of games.

Ends up with two people fighting like schoolchildren over what constitutes a spoiler.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:

Sure he was a prick, but he was doing it for a really valid reason so killing him just always felt wrong. Especially since killing him is the evil option and if you're going with the evil options you end up doing the same shit he did, so it just doesn't make any sense either.

Actually come to think of it, most of the 'evil' choices during that part of Fable 3 made me feel uncomfortable, either because you stab your allies in the back or because you reduce Albion to a festering shithole.
Yeah that's one of the things about the Fable series that I hate: decisions can never be as black and white as good or evil; like the utterly retarded choice to preserve a pretty lake because it's pretty or turn it into a refinery so you can fight the shoggoth creeping towards your shores.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
rob_simple said:
ReservoirAngel said:

Yeah that's one of the things about the Fable series that I hate: decisions can never be as black and white as good or evil; like the utterly retarded choice to preserve a pretty lake because it's pretty or turn it into a refinery so you can fight the shoggoth creeping towards your shores.
The good and evil in that game is fucked. On my evil playthrough I reduced that kingdom to a smog-filled shithole yet because everyone stayed alive, they all still loved me. It's fucked up. I wanted to be a feared tyrant but the fuckers wouldn't stop being nice to me. The only way you can truly be evil in that game is to take all the evil choices, then before the final mission drain the treasury into your own bank account. Otherwise you're just an arsehole with a heart of gold by default.

Say what you will about Fable 2, at least you could be an unrepentant monster if you wanted to.

Hell in Fable 3 even being evil your character LOOKS bad! He looks like a fucking cross-dresser with Youngblood's disease. Black holes where his eyes would be and it looks like he's wearing goth lipstick.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I can never bring myself to be mean to the dog in Fable 2 or 3.

Never.

He may bark at treasure on a constant basis and be useless in combat.

But he's my dog, dammit.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Choosing between Tali and Legion, and by extension the Free Geth and the Quarians, when I had insufficent charm points to bring them together. Its even more gutting because now I know both ways, I lose Legion, another friend to add to the list. And not being able to really stick two fingers up at the Reapers in any meaningful way didn't help >.<

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
FelixG said:
Gordon_4 said:
Choosing between Tali and Legion, and by extension the Free Geth and the Quarians, when I had insufficent charm points to bring them together. Its even more gutting because now I know both ways, I lose Legion, another friend to add to the list. And not being able to really stick two fingers up at the Reapers in any meaningful way didn't help >.<
I am not ashamed to say, there were a few scenes in ME3 that really brought me to tears, and no other game has ever done that.

OT: I dunno, but whenever I dealt with Anders in DA2 I got fairly annoyed, does being annoyed count for being uncomfortable?
As far as I'm concerned, executing that irritating nutjob was the smartest decision the plot allows you to make.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
while not an "action" per'se ...

in Mass effect 3 (endgame camp) you can hear a conversation where a medic is instructing a civilian over the radio in providing first aid for some guy who got his leg blown off

It was so painful to hear I actually had to get away...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Not being able to get the crucified people down/mercy killing in Fallout New Vegas. That really bothered me.

I killed Vulpes first time I met him because of that...

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Not being able to get the crucified people down/mercy killing in Fallout New Vegas. That really bothered me.

I killed Vulpes first time I met him because of that...
Yeah I remember that, I kept entering the conversation over and over hoping it would eventually give me the option to help them down.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
See, now I read the title and took it the wrong way than was explained in the OP. Basically, whenever I play a game it causes discomfort and pain. Not so much of an emotional connection. However:
Choosing the "Destroy" option made me feel a little guilty about the Geth (don't really care about EDI :p), until I reasoned that people wouldn't necessarily destroy blueprints and the Cruicible wouldn't affect VI.

Also, minor point, but can people actually mark their spoilers? It's all well and good to just throw up a spoiler tag, but how would people know what the spoiler is without reading it? If you don't know, it's {spoiler=Title}Text{/spoiler}.
OMG MASSIVE SPOILS!!
Just so it doesn't just read "Spoiler: Click to View", is all.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
Having to "kill" Repta in Red Faction 2. He's your ally for quite a bit after Tangier ragequits. When i got to the level and "killed" him, I felt pretty bad, only to realize he comes back as Repta Plus, who is a real pain in the ass to kill.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Shooting the sasquatches in Red Dead Undead Nightmare. Finding out they were a nice family made me feel bad.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
arnoldthebird said:
Killing Legion....I felt so dirty afterwards, I was doing a renegade playthrough and you turn into a fucking psychopath

I felt dirty after this, I had to play through as a good person again.
I'm not even playing as a full Renegade, and that actually made it all the worse, knowing how necessary it was.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
I can never be mean to my dog in the fable games, either I mean hes my dog how could anyone be mean to him.

Mass Effect 3 had lots of emotionally charged moments with the characters for me probably far too invested in the whole game but the one below left me feeling really bad.
The fall of thessia in mass effect 3 was horrible, pretty much knowing you failed and did it badly and lost the asari home world and got beaten by Cerberus all at once. Just the whole brutal failure every single time.

Renegade playthroughs on mass effect have a lot of just being a dick and then a bit of seriously fucking people over for your own ends... will need to be in the right mood to get through 3 with all my being an asshole finally coming back to bite me in the butt, but I was determined to see both sides.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Games that make me physically uncomfortable: the inevitable torture scene in every MGS game. The button mashing makes my hand cramp up.

Games that make me emotionally uncomfortable, which is more in keeping with the OP: can't think of any. Maybe playing something really fan-servicy or gory in front of my mother or one of my aunts would do it, but I can't think of a game that's really made me uncomfortable on its own. It's a game, not real life.

Edit: For those who don't get the MGS reference, the player character is the one getting tortured, and it's a segment where you have to rapidly mash the circle button to get through. It's a James Bond style "how is he going to get out of this?" torture scene, not a post-9/11 "this should be making you uncomfortable" scene.