Actions in Games That Made You Physically Uncomfortable.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I've seen a couple of threads pop up recently about the saddest moments in games or things that made you rage hard, and it got me thinking about the genuinely unpleasant situations games will occasionally plonk you down in.

I'm not talking about the flimsy moral choice systems games like Fable proudly tout --where your actions might upset you for a second then you move on and nothing of value was lost-- but times when you are actively involved in doing something you really don't want to for the sake of the greater good/progressing the game.

I'll get the ball rolling by throwing up the killing of Andrew Ryan in Bioshock. I know everyone waxes lyrical about the writing in this game but this scene in particular to me was utter genius and I felt genuinely bad for murdering a defenseless man.

Also, the end of Gungrave where you have to kill your corrupt best friend and the cutscene actually waits for you to pull the trigger before progressing.

Edit: Do throw up some spoiler tags if you're going to reveal something big in a game.

Edit 2, Electric Boogaloo: There's been some confusion with the wording of my title, what I was trying to get across is that the games I'm talking about shouldn't just make you gasp or mutter 'fucking hell' under your breath, but actually give you that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach either as a result of something that you had no control over or that you were forced to do.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to.
Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Yeah I was going to throw up the spoiler blinkers, but the newest game I mentioned is like six years old so I figured it'd be like saying 'SPOILER: DARTH VADER IS TOTALLY LUKE'S DAD'.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Shooting the humanitarian lawyer in GTA IV. For a game that prided itself on choice and freedom and for a story about a guy who's trying to put his bad life behind him, this just took me out of the game. They could have done so much if they'd given us the option to walk away.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heavy Rain. Pliers. Pinky finger.

Also, Dead Space 2. Eyeball.

Oh, and yeah, I found the Andrew Ryan scene a bit disquieting as well.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Several actions in the single-player campaign of CoD: Black Ops. Like the beginning of one mission, where you shove broken glass into a mans mouth and then punch him in the face to get him to tell you what he knows. That was fucked up, and I didn't want to do it. Oh well, 5 minutes later he's running across the rooftops with you, shooting bad guys, so apparently he didn't mind that much. *sigh*
Or at a later point in the game, when one of your buddies jumps out of the river and brutally slits some bad guys throat. And then makes a joke about it. It was at this point that I realized: I must actually be on the side of the psychopaths in this game. Okay, that wasn't MY action strictly speaking, but the fact that I was supposed to be this sick bastards friend DID make me uncomfortable.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
Mass Effect 3 spoilers follow, view at your own risk

Killing Legion....I felt so dirty afterwards, I was doing a renegade playthrough and you turn into a fucking psychopath

I felt dirty after this, I had to play through as a good person again.

Dec 21, 2011
Yeah, definitely Heavy Rain - that was horrible.

Another shout out to Condemned 'cos that game had some twisted first-person melee violence.

And as final example Red Dead Redemption - walking outside at the end.... *sobs*

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
When you kill Wrex as a Renegade Shepard, Ive never done this and I never will, but I watched a Youtube video of it, man It was the absolute most painful thing to watch

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Brighton_Game_Trader said:
Yeah, definitely Heavy Rain - that was horrible.

Another shout out to Condemned 'cos that game had some twisted first-person melee violence.

And as final example Red Dead Redemption - walking outside at the end.... *sobs*
Oh god that too, and then its even worse when

They bury John and that song is playing in the background, then Jacks mother dies, and the final twist of the knife when Jack grows up to be exactly what his father didnt want

Red Dead Redemption was such a great game :'(

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
Several actions in the single-player campaign of CoD: Black Ops. Like the beginning of one mission, where you shove broken glass into a mans mouth and then punch him in the face to get him to tell you what he knows. That was fucked up, and I didn't want to do it. Oh well, 5 minutes later he's running across the rooftops with you, shooting bad guys, so apparently he didn't mind that much. *sigh*
Or at a later point in the game, when one of your buddies jumps out of the river and brutally slits some bad guys throat. And then makes a joke about it. It was at this point that I realized: I must actually be on the side of the psychopaths in this game. Okay, that wasn't MY action strictly speaking, but the fact that I was supposed to be this sick bastards friend DID make me uncomfortable.
Yeah, that reminds me of a part in Homefront, which as well as being a horrible game was some of the most alarmist propaganda bullshit I've ever seen.

Anyway, there's a part where you use phosphorous grenades or something to kill a bunch of enemy soldiers and one guy on your team says something like 'anyone else smell Korean barbecue?' One of the other characters pulls him up for it, but even so I thought it was a pretty horrible thing to joke about and didn't exactly give me that feeling of being one of the good guys.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
rob_simple said:
Yeah I was going to throw up the spoiler blinkers, but the newest game I mentioned is like six years old so I figured it'd be like saying 'SPOILER: DARTH VADER IS TOTALLY LUKE'S DAD'.
Age means fuck all. You don't be a dick like that and spoil games without the spoiler titles, that is precisely what they are there for. Also reported.
Alright man, there's no need to swear so much. I fixed my original post. Also, sorry if I spoiled Star Wars for you.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
Eddie the head said:
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to. Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.
Reported for spoiling. Regardless of age you don't fucking spoil a game like that, it just makes you look like a prick.

OT: Strogg conversion in Quake 4.
You could have just asked politely instead of being a douche about that but ok.

Also I spelled politely wrong the first time.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
And you could have been polite and used spoiler tags, but you didn't.
Yeah but I didn't' think there was anything wrong with that like I said it's been out for a while I thought anyone who cared played it already and I was wrong I guess. You know calling someone a prick is a rude thing to do.

Regardless of that that's no excuse. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
As someone else mentioned, the final boss fight from Condemned is very brutal and makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable.

Also in Aliens Vs. Predator, the most recent one, the Xenomorphs have a finisher attack in which they grab someone from ehind and shove their tail upwards through them until it comes out of their mouth. That one always makes me feel unpleasant.
They also have a finisher that involves shoving their tail through a person's stomach and pulling the person along their tail while said victim vomits blood everywhere. AVP is a damn brutal game.