Activision is Considering Remastering Old Call of Dutys

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fuck it, Activision, if you bundle all the multiplayer maps and modes together from all the previous CoDs, I would buy that collection.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
CoD 1 and 2, I'd be COMPLETELY in, as long as the multiplayer was just like it was on those, with no ranks nor killstreaks and all that, CoD 4 was fine but they went a bit too far with the later ones.

Seeing a helmet pop up in the far far away building, and getting the shot with a Kar98k iron sights was the shit, and still is.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Bindal said:
I must be foolish then, interpreting it as dismissing the old ones in hopes of hyping up the (potential) remaster with his very blunt language on the first, unbiased read. I concede.

Hairless Mammoth said:
No it's not. I was hoping for World at War 2. The FPS genre might have spent the last two decades exploiting a horrible period of history that still has living survivors, but Treyarch sure left the setting with a solid title.
Or just a World War II Call of Duty made by Treyarch. The story moved on in Black Ops, and World at War had no possible sequel hooks (at least for World War II, the U.S. soldiers could do Korea I suppose).

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I really loved CoD2, the multiplayer in that was just so stable and skill played so much more than just quickscoping. Dropping someone with iron sight bolt-action rifle was right immersive.

I'm certain there are many other Campaigns they could work with. Would like to see more Africa and Italy rather than constant rehashes of Normandy and Bulge.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Ohg dear god we have reached the Singularity...we've always said they werejust releasing the same old COD games year after year with just a few gimmick tweaks and graphics ... now they literally will be releasing the same old COD games with graphics and gimmics tweaks. the serpent has bitten it's tail. The human centipede has been sown to it's own ass.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I've got an open question for anybody here who has played a lot of CoD multiplayer:

You can acquire upgrades for multiplayer, right? I don't mean in-game care packages and stuff, I mean uniforms and vests, different LBE (load bearing equipment), ammo pouches, that sort of stuff. Does any of that come into play? I mean, can you add extra ammo pouches and have access to said extra ammo during matches?

I've never played any multiplayer deathmatch except for the first Halo because I'd rather be playing a compelling campaign. So are there options like ceramic trauma plates or alternate body armor like Dragon Skin? I guess it would be very hard to balance matches if stuff like that came into play.

Regarding the article, part of me wants Activision to just remake these older games, but what would be the point in remaking an older game if it's unchanged, essentially just an HD reskin? Would that make their longtime customers happy? Would these same people be angered by buying something that could have been done for free via mods?

I suspect that a remake of an older CoD would have to be made differently in order to placate players who would be angry at the lack of new content. The games would almost certainly have to be different, right?
[hr]
Andy Shandy said:
Fuck it, Activision, if you bundle all the multiplayer maps and modes together from all the previous CoDs, I would buy that collection.
Yes, this! This is exactly what I'm talking about. If Activision would listen to its customers I bet they could get away with a remaster. But part of me just knows that the above would probably never happen. It's the same with me and the original Ghost Recon. All I remember is losing the ability to play as any team member in the later games, and I lost interest in the series. Ubisoft will probably never do that again, but as to why, I'll never know.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
You know what? Fucking good. I've been saying for years that they should just re-release Modern Warfare because they always seem to want to make the Pripyat level with- Oh, it's the early ones (though to be fair, the guys being ambiguous).

Well, I'm honestly pumped to see them in the new engine, especially Big Red One, a game I adored as a child and refuse to play now because I don't want to ruin my Nostalgia. I don't think it's a bad thing, as long as it's just an aesthetic clean up, it shouldn't be too bad. At least we'll get British, Canadian, and Russian campaigns again (Even if they're what we've already played). Hey, maybe this will spark something within one of the eighty-trillion companies that are licensed to make CoD to do something back in the Second World War with a new setting we don't usually see (like the Chindiks of Burma or the Invasion of Iceland).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
*Takes deep breath* Okay... WHY!?, is Activision so fucking desperate for ideas?
"Remastered" is a market they can exploit the nostalgia crowd with. With their (CoD, etc) sales on a steady decline, they figure the early CoD crowd would go berserk at the chance to play a remastered version of their first experiences.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Mike Richards said:
I would actually be entirely on board with a good remaster of 2. That was the shit. Or a new WWII entry come to think of it.

I really miss WWII shooters recently, isn't that odd?
No way, Call of Duty World at War (despite all the odd tre-arch hate) is a awesome game by them. Really loved the game, had a great pace and interesting characters. I didn't get to play 2 but I heard it's one of the better ones in the series along with 4?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Thats actually a really good idea. Remastering the first 3 Cod. That would be some sick stuff right there. I'd guess the new gen of kids wouldn't like the old multiplayer though.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Veldie said:
I can see it now we go from 1 new COD every year to one every 6 months with this remastering
...to one every three months once Actiblizzion starts looking in Telltale's direction and realizes that episodic FPSes are possible. Which means that Ubisoft's going to follow along for AssCreed or For Honor.

The future looks bleak.

I know this is silly, but it does have faint and worrying airs of possibility.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I love re-releases because they bring old games back into availability, SD games look terrible on a HD tv so the improvement there is obvious, but also improved frame rates, faster loading times etc...
This is different however, pretty much all the major COD games have a PC version, they all run at 60fps, their multiplayer modes still function, they all still look good, there's not a lot of point for this franchise, at least until a new version of Windows breaks them.

I could maybe see a bundle like the Halo Master Chief collection thing for console players, but gaming history and nostalgia tends to be a trait among PC gamer.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, only the graphics haven't changed a whole lot since the last generation. There is no significant difference between COD: Modern Warfare to the latest one. As a PC gamer, this is ridiculously apparent. They haven't made giant leaps and bounds since Modern Warfare came out. Now, if we were talking about remastering Call of Duty 1 and 2, there would be a huge graphical leap. But we aren't. We are talking about putting out the minimum amount of work for a full priced title.

Also.... didn't they blow the shit out of Guitar Hero by releasing several new titles per year?

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Over-use and fatigue concerns aside, how would this even work? Are there going to be enough people picking up old remasters of prior games for the multiplayer (presumably what they're talking about) to be viable?

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I wouldn't mind a Modern Warfare 1 & 2 redux packed together, with dlc included. Relive some old splitscreen deathmatches with friends.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Frezzato said:
I've got an open question for anybody here who has played a lot of CoD multiplayer:

You can acquire upgrades for multiplayer, right? I don't mean in-game care packages and stuff, I mean uniforms and vests, different LBE (load bearing equipment), ammo pouches, that sort of stuff. Does any of that come into play? I mean, can you add extra ammo pouches and have access to said extra ammo during matches?

I've never played any multiplayer deathmatch except for the first Halo because I'd rather be playing a compelling campaign. So are there options like ceramic trauma plates or alternate body armor like Dragon Skin? I guess it would be very hard to balance matches if stuff like that came into play.
The only customisation options with any effect on gameplay are weapon modifications and perks, and perks sometimes have a visual result, too. Use a sniper rifle, your character wears a ghillie suit, for example, but for the most part, everyone carries the same amount of ammunition. If you have the Stopping Power perk, you do more damage. If you have Hardline, you need one less kill in a streak to earn a reward. Basic stuff. I don't expect the developers to know what ceramic trauma plates are.

And I've played a lot of multiplayer. I swear, I only did it because my friends wanted to play with me...and, outside of World at War, it got old...fast.

I'd be all for the remastering of some of the games. I didn't think I'd like Halo: The Master Chief Collection and then I actually played it and realised it was all of the fun with none of the technical drawbacks. But I guess that's because you can have a particular playstyle and it feels varied - my biggest issue with the games centred around modern or future warfare is that all the guns are the bloody same. They all have varying degrees of being fully automatic and some of them have more bullets. There's no art to the design and it's all just really, really dull. Does my enemy have an M4A1, an AK-47, a Galil, a Tar-21? It doesn't fucking matter, they all spray bullets and my tactic is invariably going to be "shoot them first."