Activision Prices Call of Duty Elite

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Prices Call of Duty Elite

Activision has finally revealed the price of the upcoming Call of Duty Elite.

Activision unveiled the subscription-based Call of Duty Elite service Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110483-Activision-Unveils-New-Call-of-Duty-Online-Service] map packs, free DLC [including the map packs], the opportunity to enter tournaments and compete for real-world prizes and to watch "pro-commentated match reports and strategy videos."

But that's not all! Call of Duty Elite subscriptions also include Elite TV, with videos like "Noob Tube," narrated by Arrested Development [http://www.amazon.com/Arrested-Development-Complete-Seasons-Bundle/dp/B000JJ3Y78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315242259&sr=8-1] stars Will Arnett and Jason Bateman, and the live-action series "Friday Night Fights," produced by Hollywood heavyweights Ridley and Tony Scott, which will feature "real-life rivals getting together in multiplayer to battle it out COD style." The service will also include previously-detailed free functionality like custom leaderboards, detailed stats, Facebook integration and apps for iOS and Android that allow players to customize their online loadouts.

I can't for the life of me imagine how videos narrated by a couple of sitcom stars qualify as a major selling point but with more than Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111017-Two-Million-Gamers-Sign-Up-for-CoD-Elite-Beta] includes one year of Elite service, making it a pretty good buy for anyone who plans to sign up.

Call of Duty Elite goes live in conjunction with the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on November 8. For a full list of Elite features, check out callofduty.com/elite [http://www.callofduty.com/elite/whats-included.html].

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/05/call-of-duty-elite-price-revealed-at-call-of-duty-xp-event/]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I may pick the game up at some point but I can't see myself ever paying for Elite.. but it does sound like a decent deal for those really into the game, and we all know there are a ton of people that qualify for that distinction.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
for 50$ a year plus a 60$ buying price I expect a great MMO with really good servers.
not a stat tracking system for a game that uses the host&join system.
Activision isn't paying for anything to keep the game up (bug fixing and game servers)
Activision just keeps spamming 15$ DLC's for a few map packs
and now they want another 50$ A YEAR????
thats going to be around 200$ a year for a 100% CoD experience.
nope I am not getting that.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Fifty bucks huh? Or I could just not buy it and watch all the content online for free. If I wanted to watch an esport, it wouldn't be an FPS. That kind of game is TERRIBLE for spectating. And I'd want a commentator on pro level, not some guy sitting there saying "he just made a huge mistake". This is a spectacular fail waiting to happen, but if it's as popular as those numbers suggest, it could take broadcast esports in a new, horrible direction.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
$50 a year, aka $50 per game

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
$50 for map packs a few days early and some boring arse commentaries? Paaaaass

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
If you pay us a yearly subscription you can pay us for map packs before everyone else!

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Lacsapix said:
for 50$ a year plus a 60$ buying price I expect a great MMO with really good servers.
Activision isn't paying for anything to keep the game up (bug fixing and game servers)
Not to mention another $60 a year if your playing on the Xbox.

but anyway this is just plainly brutal all the games I am intending to buy for the rest of the year don't cost that much.

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
The hardened comes with elite sub right whats stopping people from buying multi copies of hardened and keeping the code returning it even buying two you could return one with a used code...

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Lacsapix said:
If you're on xbox that's another 60 dollars a year...In other words you're paying 110 dollars a year + 60 dollars up front costs just to play ONE game.

Also...does early access to map packs mean they're complimentary with the service or does that just mean you get to pay for them sooner than everyone else..........

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... "Hardened Edition"?
That's just wrong on sooooo many levels, and made worse by the fact that parents will shell out cash so their kids can enjoy the Hardened goodness too!

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Wait, for that 50$ a year do they get all map packs for free because if they do then I guess that's not a bad deal for those who are really into the game.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lacsapix said:
Well if you pay $50 a year for Elite you get all the DLC for free (and keep it once your sub ends) so your saving a lot more by doing Elite over all.

So $200 is HIGHLY exagerated.

Davih

May 7, 2011
So they want $50 for you to be able to give them $15 earlier than other people will? Sorry what? Am I missing the point completely?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
wow. really? That's..a large chunk of money.

You're not even getting that much. Last time I checked most commentated esports events were free to watch, stats like these have been free for ages (maybe not as comprehensive but honestly, it's just a bunch of graphs), and paying for the ability to enter tournaments is just silly.

so what are you paying for then?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I just have visions of CoD fans stood outside Activision HQ screwing up wads of cash and throwing them at the employees.

People say Activision are an "evil" corporation doing what they can to take peoples money.

I have to call bullshit.

I believe Activision have just found a way to leech money off the most gullible set of people ever.

Activision are doing what anyone here would do given that opportunity. If you say you wouldn't then we can safely say you won't ever be running a business of that size.

It's not Activision thats at fault. If gullible moro .... er ... consumers ... yes, consumers ... are going to pay for the shit that gets shovelled to them then I think Activision deserves a salute for finding these muppe ... er ... lovely people.