Activision Publishing CEO Wants to "Humanize" the Company

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Publishing CEO Wants to "Humanize" the Company

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg says the company needs to be "transparent and honest and human" with its community in order to shed its undeserved reputation as gaming's Evil Empire.

If you were told to name the most soulless, corporate and downright evil videogame company in the business today, your response would almost certainly be Activision. Somehow, despite making the most popular videogames on the planet, the company is also far and away the most widely loathed. Hirshberg, naturally, says that rep is entirely undeserved, but he also recognizes the need to turn it around.

"I think that the case is drastically overstated in terms of the reality that I see," he said in an interview with Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35319/Interview_Activisions_Eric_Hirshberg_On_Being_The_Bad_Guy.php]. "I see a very creative company that gives its developers the tools and the resources they need to do great things, that isn't afraid to [delay] games if that's what it takes to get them right."

One of Activision's biggest problems from a public relations standpoint is that it tends to be seen as a relentless machine that grinds ideas into money, an image that CEO Bobby Kotick sometimes seems to actively cultivate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94711-Bobby-Kotick-Wants-to-Take-the-Fun-Out-of-Making-Games]. That's a perception that Hirshberg would like to change.

"It's about putting a human face on the company. It's about being transparent and honest and human in our dealings with our community," he continued. He pointed out the handling of the Modern Warfare 3 leak [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110190-Activision-Engaging-With-Fans-Turned-MW3-Leak-Into-a-Triumph] as a fine example of the right way to go about engaging the fan base, adding, "We got a lot of props and a lot of pleasantly surprised people in our reaction to that. People assumed that we would go silverback gorilla crazy, and we didn't."

The upcoming Call of Duty Elite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110483-Activision-Unveils-New-Call-of-Duty-Online-Service] is a prime example of the Activision dichotomy: forums exploded with rage over the idea of a subscription-based CoD service while at the same time, more than two million gamers rushed to sign up for the beta. Hirshberg acknowledged that the limited information revealed in the announcement, necessitated by the fact that much of it is embedded into Modern Warfare 3, caused confusion, but he also noted that some people are just determined to get mad about things. "I'm not sure that there was any way we could have messaged it any better and not gotten that response from that portion of the audience," he said.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
its undeserved reputation as gaming's Evil Empire.
Riiiiight.

We don't just hate you for no reason Activision.

Although to be fair EA did turn it's act around... you have a chance.

We <3 you EA.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
"It's about putting a human face on the company."

As opposed of course to putting Bobby Kotick's face on the company.

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/galleries/display/47/47362.jpg

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Bobzer77 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Riiiiight.

We <3 you EA.
EA was doing pretty good but lately they've been doing some evil empire shenanigans again. The whole BF 3 preorder stuff comes to mind.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
One of Activision's biggest problems from a public relations standpoint is that it tends to be seen as a relentless machine that grinds ideas into money, an image that CEO Bobby Kotick sometimes seems to actively cultivate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94711-Bobby-Kotick-Wants-to-Take-the-Fun-Out-of-Making-Games]. That's a perception that Hirshberg would like to change.
So he wants to change the perception of the public, rather than the reality behind the scenes. This is the exact reason we hate Activision because grinding games for money is what they do. Every IP must produce an annual game. The second those games stop being profitable, the development studio is fired or sold. Yes Harmonix's music games weren't doing so hot, but you could have let the team branch out into other areas rather than crack the whip and force them to make another rock band no one fucking wanted.

Why not have them do another game like FreQuency? But no, to hell with that it's easier to just sell them. Punish them for doing [exactly what upper management told them to do, mainly, "make rock band games".

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hirshberg, naturally, says that rep is entirely undeserved, but he also recognizes the need to turn it around.
Yeah, he would say that. It's his job to make the company look better so they make more company.

The upcoming Call of Duty Elite is a prime example of the Activision dichotomy: forums exploded with rage over the idea of a subscription-based CoD service while at the same time, more than two million gamers rushed to sign up for the beta.
That doesn't mean people aren't going to try it, and that doesn't mean that 2 million people aren't going to walk away hating the idea of paying for whatever features they may have to pay for.

OT: Meh, he is trying his best. I think he is completely delusional, them grinding the shit out of good properties to make a buck is not false. They just over create sequel after sequel in quick order, it's a bad business policy, it's "take the money and run" mentality. I mean, their most successful division (Blizzard), hasn't make a new game in almost 10 years. Not that StarCraft 2 is a bad game, but it's hardly ground shattering as far as concepts are concerned. I am mostly talking about WoW.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Damn. I misread as "Activision Publishing CEO Wants to Euthanize the Company".

Maybe if they stopped re-packaging the same game and trying to pass it off as a sequel. That and the hideously overpriced, playerbase-dividing map packs. And being so cheap as to do away with dedicated servers in favour of a Wait for the Host minigame.

Needless to say, they have a long way to go.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
*Raises hand*
Um, yea hi. I have some idea for making your company be human.

1. Stop turning out games on an annual basis, it makes you look like a Chinese factory pumping out shoes.
2. Stop ripping off your customers for things that should be much less.
3. Keep a fucking muzzle on Bobby.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Bobzer77 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Riiiiight.

We <3 you EA.
Exactly.

I wonder who's the genius that decides to release PR bullcrap like this only few days after Kotick has trash-talked about BF3. It kinda makes you think that whole Activision is filled with money-hungry liars, the kind that would tell you that there is no Earth while looking you straight in your eyes and being absolutely serious, if only non-existence of Earth was profitable for them.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Two million applications for a free beta will not translate int two million members of a paid service but I can easily see the mass market CoD audience paying for at least 1 month no questions asked. If there's anything you can count on the mass audience to do it's marching blindly into anything so long as it's advertised the most. I'm sure shareholders spend every day thanking the government for it's lack of public education support.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
"I'm not sure that there was any way we could have messaged it any better and not gotten that response from that portion of the audience," he said.
It doesn't matter how you 'message' it. When you tell me you're going to use my sack as a speed bag, no linguistic gymnastics will prevent the inevitable response.

If you want to improve your image as a company, confess your sins and repent, Activision.

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
Just put some heavy duty ducktape on Boby Kotick's mouth and it should be fine. No matter what he says, customers will see something bad in it. Usually that is because Kotick means to say something bad.

Jun 11, 2008
theriddlen said:
Bobzer77 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Riiiiight.

We <3 you EA.
Exactly.

I wonder who's the genius that decides to release PR bullcrap like this only few days after Kotick has trash-talked about BF3. It kinda makes you think that whole Activision is filled with money-hungry liars, the kind that would tell you that there is no Earth while looking you straight in your eyes and being absolutely serious, if only non-existence of Earth was profitable for them.
This is kinda every company. More so ones that only care about their shareholders which is unfortunately the kind of company Activision has turned into.

OT: The only reason I signed up for the Beta is that I want to see what they actually think is worth paying for not that I think the service will be good or worth it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
There's already a "human" face for the company. It's called Bobby Kotick, wich I really doubt if he's still human at all.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
From an objective viewpoint as I can muster, removing Bobby Kotick from the equation would actually do wonders for their image, simply because so much bad press is attached to him alone. The next step would be to go ahead with the humanisation and transparency described above. The third step would be to at the very least make efforts to appear to care more about games and not money. Obviously it's a huge business, and money is the driving force behind it, just as all businesses are, but if they give themselves an image of someone who cares about gamers and not their wallets, then they'll lose a further chunk of their bad press.

Some damage can't be undone, but a lot of it can be with some clever changes.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Minecraft sells 2.5 million copies, and suddenly Activision realizes they need to act like human beings.

Coincidence? Or a dreadful fear of the power of the indy market and how games could once again fall into the hands of the independent developer, over the soulless, directionless, lets just shove the same crap in a box over and over again and add a number to the end of the title cause the morons will still buy it mentality companies like Activision have?

Power to the people. http://unity3d.com - Steamworks and the Union for life.

We don't need Activision any more. And EA, I have my eye on you too.