Activision Publishing CEO Wants to "Humanize" the Company

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Bobzer77 said:
We <3 you EA.
I hate EA as much as Activision, as they're two sides of the same coin. Both publishers are doing their hardest to fuck gamers hard, with EA fucking over PC gamers especially hard, while Activision is approximately doing the same to console players by selling the exact same game to its audience. Both publishers would gleefully fuck over any developers Darth Vader style:

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
"I'm not sure that there was any way we could have messaged it any better and not gotten that response from that portion of the audience."
Yes, there was a way.
TELLING US WHAT WE'D HAVE TO PAY FOR! DON'T LEAVE US THINKING WE HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009

I don't know...something not right about him, almost like he hiding something. Do you guys trust him?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Here's a thought: Instead of making your company LOOK more humane, actually BE more humane.
What? That would cut into profits? Welp, looks like that won't happen then.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Try doing some innovation, that's all I demand. Spend money on gaming research and let new and wild ideas flow. You got more money than God, so why not play God and create, instead of recreate?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Phht.

Yup. This is totally a thing that is going to happen.

Come to think of it, I really don't see why they would care. They own the biggest brands in gaming and sell huge quantities. Why bother with the opinions of a bunch of people on the internet?

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Kevlar Eater said:
Bobzer77 said:
We <3 you EA.
I hate EA as much as Activision, as they're two sides of the same coin. Both publishers are doing their hardest to fuck gamers hard, with EA fucking over PC gamers especially hard, while Activision is approximately doing the same to console players by selling the exact same game to its audience.
I'm a PC gamer and I have no problem with EA atm, if you are talking about the BF3 dlc, who really gives a shit if someone gets a re-skin of a weapon? It's not like they are packaging off the game to sell in bits or developing day 1 dlc ala Bioware.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Prince Regent said:
Why do we hate these guys again? I forget.
they were decent up to CoD 4.

in which they found a goldmine.

then milked the fuck out of every franchise they owned for some reason.

Feb 13, 2008
If you want to humanize Activision, don't you already admit that you've got a shitty rep?

How about, and this is just an idea, that worked when everyone loved Activision - Back in the River Raid, Park Patrol days, stop working on your fecking mask of humanity and put a bit of humanity back into the company.

See how Valve did it? Showed people their lunchroom.
See how Apple did it? (Yes, Evil Apple) They turned their shops into temples and taught their service reps to smile at the customer.
See how Microsoft did it? (EEEEEEEEVVILLL Microsoft) After the shite that was Vista, they brought out 7 - which did most of the things it said.
See how EA did it? Oh...ok....EA still haven't done it.

You want to humanize the company? Start employing fecking humans and not Gordon Kotecko.

We don't care if you make money. We quite like it if you make money. But if you're going to lie, cheat and steal, then we're gonna call you thieves. ESPECIALLY if you boast about it beforehand.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
1)Stop treating people who buy used games like criminals and breaking half the game.
2)Stop taking away options to run our own servers and make our own maps.
3)Stop treating pc gamers like second class citizens. We made you EA and it's a damn shame some of the shit you've pulled.

Do all of that and I might actually start buying your games again. Until then stop with the fluff pr "don't hate us" that you put out every damn month. It's disingenuous at best.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Good luck with that Activision. You've been reskinning the same game over and over again and selling it for full price. Now you want to charge a monthly fee to enjoy these reskinned games to their fullest.... Not exactly a friendly move.

I really hope that subscription service FAILS. If not, we **will** see other developers and publishers try the same thing.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:

I don't know...something not right about him, almost like he hiding something. Do you guys trust him?
I could be wrong, but i'm not sure that's the right way to attach an eye-patch.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
So he thinks his problem is "messaging?"

How about this: Stop treating your employees like sharecroppers, and stop treating your customers like a strip mine.

You can start by humiliating yourselves in front of Infinity Ward...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
[Eric Hirshberg approaches Kotick's office/sacrificial pit]

Eric: Uh, Bobby? We need to talk.

Kotik: [ala generic evil emperor] Why have you come without an offering?

Eric: Uh, right... [Motions two henchmen to throw a terrified intern into the sacrificial pit] Listen, I've been talking with some of our customers and we need to change this arrangement. First, you need to get rid of the pit. We're loosing interns and thus unpaid labor. Second, we need to talk about your public persona. Quite frankly, your evil assholishness is being compared to a number of extremely evil characters, including Darth Sideous, Sauron, and Dick Cheney.

Kotik: That was what I was going for.

Eric: Yeah... listen: That has to change. I'll end on this one, but expect more of this in the future. You need to shift more resources to new IPs instead of shoveling it to the poor sods whom you've hollowed out and filled with your essence. We're loosing good talent because you remove their humanity and feed on their souls once they've proven themselves to be useful. I'm thinking this is sending a bad message...

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Prince Regent said:
Why do we hate these guys again? I forget.
Because they do not develop games based on quality, only on how well it will sell. Call of Duty is the best example of this. They also shun new IPs, and are only interested in games that will become a franchise.

They're in it for the bucks, and they treat their consumers like shit.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
How can they go back and correct their problems, you can't humanize a monster. They have two choices, go valve style and cut earnings buy pleasing fans or stay the course they are on now. I think their company motto must be " a Fool and his Money are easily parted".

We are nice guys, but we still are going to Dollar and Five you ( as if it were only nickle and diming we wouldn't care as much" On all content you "would" pay for.

Other such Blizzactivision quotes.

Extras? Fuck extras, that shit is 10 dollar dlc right thurr son.

What do you mean there are 20 maps on launch, Cut them up and sell them 3 for 15$.

Used games? Bah Day one dlc, and unlock codes for multiplayer woooooo!

Bungie did it for free? Psssh they'd pay money for that shit - whispers - They wiiiiill.

How can we apply a (fee, montly charge, rent to own, mortgage) To this game.

I don't care if it only makes the game 4 hours long that dlc needs to come from somewhere.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Give Kotick the boot, drop the exploitative attitude towards the medium, then we'll talk.