Activision Pulls the Plug on Guitar Hero Franchise

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
z3rostr1fe said:
TehIrishSoap said:
Ok Activison, before you pull the plug, please release "Stairway To Heaven" as DLC?
I think you are already late... O_O
No Stairway? Denied!

On-topic, I got ten bucks that says motion control eats it next. Kinect and Move are going to be on the scrap heap by year's end. The fads of the last decade are running their course.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
They signed their own death warrant when they oversaturated the market like they did. It was fun while it lasted, but the interest died fast.

Feb 13, 2008
"anticipation of a continuing weak environment for casual and music-based games."
Damn, Popcap must be quaking in their boots now.

Watch what happens in 2 years time though, when someone releases a music based game and Activision starts slapping them with law-suits.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Jellly said:
About fucking time.
Just was I was going to say.
The Guitar Hero franchise has felt like they were beating a dead horse when they released the third game.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Honestly, how can they justify this?

The lack of care and consideration is astounding. They milk a franchise to death and they dispose of the developers they hired to make them? Activision is clearly responsible for those people losing their jobs, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Hopefully we'll have Rock Band for long enough for other competition to arise. It is rather astounding that the music/rhythm games have come and gone so fast. I think a strategy like Harmonix's will give them better longevity, and will maybe benefit from having the market to themselves.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Why couldn't they have gotten Stairway to Heaven BEFORE this happened? Now I'll never get to play it on Guitar Hero.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I was never a fan of anything but the soundtracks. I'm sure the game will be missed by many, but not me.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
About damn time, I only really appreciated the second one, after that it was just like an obnoxious retarded child doing anything for attention.

Mogule

Mar 17, 2009
In a certain gaming magazine (not sure if I can say the name here without mod wrath) issue 171: Fallout 3, the editor wrote about the virtual rock opera Harmonix and Red Octane were performing. It just hit me, that this is the obvious next step.
Darkong said:
I don't think its the last we'll see of Guitar Hero, maybe if they let it cool off for a few years it could be brought back.
Cue a shady bar late at night four years later. Harmonix is down on it's luck thinking about the days of old, when old pal, Red Octane, comes by for a visit:

Red Octane: Hey man, been a while.
Harmonix: Red Octane? Whadda you want?!
RO: Chill man. I just wanna talk. We're worried about you.
Ha: Who's worried? No one! That's who.
RO: That's not true! I'm worried. Umm...J-Jim's worri-
Ha: WHO'S JIM?!
RO: I WAS ON THE SPOT! I couldn't think of anyone.
Ha: I'm fine. Ya hear me? FINE! *hic* Didn't you play my last game?
RO: I bought three copies.
Ha: Who the hell buy's three copies of the same game?
RO: It was half off, and I needed a quick Christmas present.
Ha: Those were released late November, why are they hal-
RO: Listen, that's not the point. I want the old you back. The old games back.
Ha: Karaoke Revolution?
RO: Little newer.
Ha: Karaoke Revolution...country
RO: Let's get off the Karaoke.
Ha: UGH...it's Guitar Band isn't it?! *hic*
RO: You're not sober are you?
Ha: Don't think so.
RO: Probably for the best. ANYHOW, I got some money left over and a bunch of fans out there still-
Ha: I know, I know, I know what you're trying to...to do, and it's not not going to work.
RO: So no new Guitar Hero then huh?
Ha: Oh...that doesn't involve giraffes at all. I'm down for it.
RO: Great, you remember where the studio is?
Ha: Nope
RO: Good, we moved. Actually...do even remember who I am?
Ha: Gimme three guesses. *hic*
RO: Sure
Ha: Ted Turner
RO: Close. Let's try a company next
Ha: Disney
RO: If only. Remember, we worked with you for a bit. Made some games.
Ha: MTV
RO: Was that Red Octane? Bah, close enough. Anyhow, here's the direction's to the new studio. Be there at 10 Monday.
Ha: What's this for?
RO: You're not gonna remember any of this...
Ha: This wasn't your best idea, huh?
RO: Close to it. Oh well, here goes nothing anyways. Hope to see ya there.
Ha: Where?
RO: Exactly. But it's cool, I figured this would happen, so here's the recording of this conversation.
Ha: Oh shit. You're like Batman. With your gizmos and stuff.
RO: Sure. Whatever you say.

I think that would make for one hell of a plot arc.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Activision killed the genre itself. This has nothing to do with a decline in quality and everything to do with oversaturation.

They turned the Guitar Hero franchise into an overpriced whore (pardon the French) instead of a quirky party-goer. It's what they do, and they seem to have no regrets in doing so.

It's a shame, and I feel sorry for the people that lost their jobs because of this, but honestly I don't think the world will be any worse for losing the franchise. At least for a while. It's not like it couldn't recover in a few years and bring something new, like it should have done in the first place.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
That's how the free market works I guess, no profit, no product. Still, Harmonix seems to be doing fine, I wonder if it has anything to do with them making games instead of money.

Also, I wonder if when we look back on the '00s in 20-30 years, if Guitar Hero will be one of those iconic decade specific trends that just kind of disappeared...

xhannay

Jan 25, 2011
I never played past the first two games and even now I still dig them out from time to time. But, as many comments above this one have said, the GH franchise pushed for too much in too short a period. It was only a matter of time before it burned out.

Still sad though. RIP Guitar Hero.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
marcogodinho said:
A classic case of franchise overexposure. Activision milked those franchises to death.
So very true. I'm tempted to say that this may well happen other franchises that they're milking as well, such as CoD. I imagine it'd take a while for that particular brand to go to pieces though.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I was always hoping for a "country hero" or "country band." They use generally the same instruments, but oh well.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
I'm thinking Guitar Hero is a victim of its own success, I mean I've bought two games from the franchise and now have two guitars, a drum set at home, and I got bored of it after a year or so and wouldn't buy another game like this in future. If I want to play this I'll just return to the game and instruments I already have. Considering the fact that many people have the games and instruments already at home, there is a small amount of people to sell the new games to.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I've been a Rock Band fanboy for a while now, so this makes me a little happy.

Though I have GH fanboy friends who may be a bit devestated. Especially the one who was always telling me how GH was so much better than RB

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Another classicly stupid decision by Activision. Take perfectly good programmers and throw them out on the streets. Don't find them another project ... something ORIGIONAL to do or nothing. What an utter waste.