Activision Unveils New Call of Duty Online Service

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
"There is a subscription fee, but Activision says you won't have to pay it to play online...yet"

*Fixed*

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
getting as much of consumer surplus as htey possibly can I see.

How long does it take htem to delete everlything if you dont' pay?

That is the most important question here and decides if it's reasonable or not. Blizzard's WOW ispretty okay at this, hopefully COD ELite is too.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So this is like Battlefield's VIP packs, only you have to pay for it even if a) you bought the game new and b) you've bought it before?

Brilliant!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Thyunda said:
Antari said:
Thyunda said:

Fuck that

Won't stop me buying the game, but I certainly won't be paying no subscription fee. Whose bright idea was it to start making us pay to get special league tables? Still, I guess a thousand Christmases just got easier for two thousand parents.
And you are the reason why this sort of thing is happening. Your still going to buy the game? Convincing them they've done a good job?
Modern Warfare 3 looks beast. 'Elite' doesn't. So I will buy one, and not the other. I'm not going to punish the developer for what's shaping up to be a decent game. And I'm certainly not cheating myself out of it just because they're offering some of the content for extra money. If everybody bought the game, and nobody subscribed, they'd cancel that service and also encourage new things. Already MW3 looks like a huge jump away from MW2, which was essentially the same as the original.
Huge jump from the original? How? It looks like the same plot, but even more a parody of itself. It's going to have the same 'ole multiplayer modes too.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Thyunda said:
Antari said:
Thyunda said:

Fuck that

Won't stop me buying the game, but I certainly won't be paying no subscription fee. Whose bright idea was it to start making us pay to get special league tables? Still, I guess a thousand Christmases just got easier for two thousand parents.
And you are the reason why this sort of thing is happening. Your still going to buy the game? Convincing them they've done a good job?
Modern Warfare 3 looks beast. 'Elite' doesn't. So I will buy one, and not the other. I'm not going to punish the developer for what's shaping up to be a decent game. And I'm certainly not cheating myself out of it just because they're offering some of the content for extra money. If everybody bought the game, and nobody subscribed, they'd cancel that service and also encourage new things. Already MW3 looks like a huge jump away from MW2, which was essentially the same as the original.
Huge jump from the original? How? It looks like the same plot, but even more a parody of itself. It's going to have the same 'ole multiplayer modes too.
It's gonna have a horde mode, dude. That makes it awesome to me. Plus, the whole game feels like it's going to be built more for us than the twelve year olds - except for the elite subscription. I get the feeling only the high-profile YouTubers and small, annoying children will be paying for that.
Also, my CAPTCHA was in freakin' Arabic. What the hell.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dexter111 said:
He's pretty much said so himself: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35786/Kotick-turns-50-into-500

?In the last cycle of videogames you spent $50 on a game, played it and took it back to the shop for credit,? Kotick told attendees at the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference in San Francisco, as spotted by Spong.

?Today, we'll sell you for $100 a guitar. You might add a microphone or drums, you might buy two or three expansions packs, different types of music. Over the life of your ownership you'll probably buy around 25 additional song packs in digital downloads.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.263871-Activision-Pulls-the-Plug-on-Guitar-Hero-Franchise

Yeah, that worked, didn't it?
In Activision's mind it did. They ran the franchise into the ground, got all they could out of it, then moved on. They're like the aliens from Independence day. They move from planet to planet, using up all the resources, draining it, then moving on. The Activision business model matches that of the plot of the antagonists from a summer action flick. Astounding.

Thyunda said:
It's gonna have a horde mode, dude. That makes it awesome to me. Plus, the whole game feels like it's going to be built more for us than the twelve year olds - except for the elite subscription. I get the feeling only the high-profile YouTubers and small, annoying children will be paying for that.
Also, my CAPTCHA was in freakin' Arabic. What the hell.
Yeah. You can't get Horde mode from any other game out there that's been out for years. It's certainly not in BFBC2, Gears 2, you can't just play Left 4 Dead for a similar, but better experience either. It is necessary to drop $60 on the yearly CoD roster update.

The Apothecarry said:
I will be getting Modern Warfare 3 for certain, but if the multiplayer is as broken as Modern Warfare 2 (you DO NOT design perks specifically engineered to counter other perks), it'll be back on the shelf within the week. I at least have to play campaign mode.
Why not just rent it then?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It was bound to happen. They stopped supporting the PC as much and blamed piracy, but really they were taking control away from gamers so they could force people to their "subscription based console games" where you pay full price for half the content and then pay again for the second half and as time goes on you'll pay full price for less initial game content

The kiddies will ***** and moan and cry "boycott", but still pay for it.

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU BUY AND SUPPORT DLC.

Gearheart

Aug 16, 2010
So wait.

They're expecting people to pay a subscription for XBL, so that they can pay another subscription within that?

Oh my god. It's a metascription. Where does the madness end?

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
"I've never wished death upon anybody, but I've read obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain

For me, Bobby Kotick will be one of those obituaries.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
This is ridiculous. I'm just done with CoD, that's it...

Oh, and to all of you saying "it's just optional, it won't affect anything, you're over-reacting", this is most certainly something to worry about. I mean, look around. CoD 4 and MW2 brought a series of crappy rip-offs that featured modern warfare. Then CoD or Halo start charging 15 dollars for map packs, and now any semi-multiplayer game is. Everthing that CoD does is something that tons of other companies try to ripoff. And it never stops. Activision keeps on pushing the boundaries, just barely keeping from being labeled as total jerks so they can still sell copies of their game. If people support this feature by buying it, we WILL eventually start paying extra just to get a lag-free game. Anyone with a shred of common sense could see where this is headed.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
I like COD and as long as I don't have to pay I'll consider it. I'll buy map packs, but only if I like every map in the pack. 1 map I don't like and its out of the question. Seriously, don't get so bitchy over something that may not even cost money in the first place.