Activision Unveils New Call of Duty Online Service

Feb 13, 2008
Dexter111 said:
He's pretty much said so himself: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35786/Kotick-turns-50-into-500

?In the last cycle of videogames you spent $50 on a game, played it and took it back to the shop for credit,? Kotick told attendees at the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference in San Francisco, as spotted by Spong.

?Today, we'll sell you for $100 a guitar. You might add a microphone or drums, you might buy two or three expansions packs, different types of music. Over the life of your ownership you'll probably buy around 25 additional song packs in digital downloads.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.263871-Activision-Pulls-the-Plug-on-Guitar-Hero-Franchise

Yeah, that worked, didn't it?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Some of those thing seems like they should be free, but oh well, seems fine. People should seriously relax, and I've got my hammer ready for those who don't.
Loved the ending, but am already doubting the engine :(

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Dark Harbinger said:
And so The Empire Strikes Back.

Wait, why am I complaining? That will be keeping the COD kiddies off Battlefield 3!

All is forgiven Bobby.
What this person said.

Dansrage

Nov 9, 2010
Agent Larkin said:
Dark Harbinger said:

Wait, why am I complaining? That will be keeping the COD kiddies off Battlefield 3!

All is forgiven Bobby.
What this person said.
It's all clear to me now! Bobby has been shielding us from the horrors these past years, shouldering the great burden himself.
Because he's the hero Gaming deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hate him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

lolj/k hes a filthy scheming con-artist

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I will be getting Modern Warfare 3 for certain, but if the multiplayer is as broken as Modern Warfare 2 (you DO NOT design perks specifically engineered to counter other perks), it'll be back on the shelf within the week. I at least have to play campaign mode.

And I have no idea if it's Activision or Infinity Ward's idea for the Elite service, but I for one am not subscribing. As I recall, and a few have mentioned this, Bungie already does this for Halo 3 and Halo: Reach for no charge. That's right, I said "no charge." Why does it seem that this franchise is trying to be more like the series it wanted to distance itself from?

This pisses me off as much as the special edition owners of Black Ops recieving the original Nazi Zombies maps. The special people get access to different maps? THAT is a mild digital equivalent of segregation (for those of you planning to get this service, I apologize for using big words like "is"). I understand the concept of recognizing those that are willing to dole out a little more cash to show how much they love a game, but a player skin or a gun skin is fine. When you give those special players access to multiplayer content that affects the game's overall experience, like maps that only they can access from a Ludicrous Edition or pre-orders, you've just given a giant middle finger to all the gamers who don't want to or can't afford to front the cash for it. Put it up on PSN or Xbox LIVE Marketplace and it's there for everyone to get when they can afford it.

The amount of money you put down for a game should not affect how much fun that game is.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Logan Westbrook said:
VanBasten said:
Logan Westbrook said:
That's not actually what Kotick said. What he said was that it wouldn't be as good if it was a free service, which I think is a fair comment.
My point still stands, while yes, it wouldn't be as good if it was free(whatever that "it" is as we still don't know) that doesn't mean it couldn't be as good if it was free if Activision decided to lower their existing profit margins by just a slight bit.

So to say that money is the issue why they have to charge for it, as if their original intent was to create something that would be at no extra charge and not something that would further increase their profits, well, that is kinda BS.
You're making quite the assumptions there. You don't know how much the service will cost to run, so you can't make claims about how much it will or won't impact Activision's profit margins.

Besides, the subscription is an optional part of an optional service. It's a bizarre thing to get upset about.
WoW cost 200 million to run for the first 5 years, that's including everything except the development team. Now, unless their "elite" service runs on machines powered by burning money, there is no-fricking-way it's going to cost anywhere close to that for 50 years. That's a safe bet.
you got it wrong buddy thats including development costs, And to be fair thats damn cheap compared to the 1billion they get in pure profits every year

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Agent Larkin said:
Dark Harbinger said:

All is forgiven Bobby.
What this person said.
This is hilarious, seriously I can't believe they are actually doing this. Still, a stat tracker you have to pay for... Jesus, I think thats stupid. But it keeps the retards off other games and on their Call of Duty Modern Warfare noob edition, that's all good.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
TheEvilCheese said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
You know, so long as the core online play is unaffected I don't really care. I won't get it, but I don't mind it being there.

In any case, cue lots of bitching in 3,2,1..
Entirely agree with you, but I have a feeling they will be advertising the crap out of it in-game in MW3.

And hasn't Halo had pretty much this (admittedly we don't know the final content of Elite yet, but I digress) for four years? for free? Just wondering how they can justify charging for this sort of service.
You had to pay... around 800 MS points for a full year. It was for a service called Bungie Pro that allowed more file-sharing slots and allowed you to render films in Halo 3 in a format that a PC could read. It doesn't do clan support though. Halo 3 and Reach don't support those. But most of the things being advertised in the trailer are things that Bungie.net does.... for free. Heatmaps and statistics included.
I meant the and heatmaps/weapon stats. Bungie Pro was really designed for those who wanted to make/edit Halo videos for the PC and didn't have capture cards (woohoo)... I quite like Bungie's attitude to this sort of thing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I'm just going to quote Alec Meer:

Call of Duty already isn't a million miles from being a subscription game, at least in terms of multiplayer - every November you cough up another $60 for a few new weapons, features, maps and a ridiculously overblown but relatively brief and heavily scripted singleplayer experience, but essentially continue having the same experience year after year. (That's before you factor in the Xbox Live sub, if that's your preferred platform for the game). If the Elite fee is to be, as hinted, around $8, that means you'll be spending some $156 a year on Call of Duty if you want the complete package, to ensure you're getting all the Call of Duty there is, and keeping up with whatever Joneses most matter to you. This is, clearly, quite a lot of money. You could buy around five other new release, big name games for the same sum, but clearly that's exactly what Activision wants to dissuade you from doing. Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Soooooo it's like a Steam with a subscription?

God, people will gobble every shit Kotick puts in their mouth.

I want to state straight away:

Anyone who will buy this game is a REAL cancer killing video games

Honestly, after Blops anyone with half a brain abbandoned the series, but this is actually for the first time something I would end friendships over. Nothing justifies supporting this cancer of a company.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Oh wow, that's amazing...ly abysmal. 1) first minute of the video? Christ, didn't even want to watch beyond that. 2) the footage? Is that really what that game still looks like? I mean, I swear it's identical to CoD4 - models, animations, textures, effects, the lot. 3) what's being sold? Honestly? That's the best that a company ROLLING in cash could come up with - a stat tracking system and community chat rooms? For a fee?! They realise that Steam's being doing that since forever, and apparently Halo was doing it 4 years ago and both for free?

Christ, makes it even easier to ignore them now - I think Battlefield will remain my gritty shooter series of choice quite easily.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
Not going to ***** because it's their business decision and I don't have to buy in. But if they think they're getting a cent of my money for this...

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
The service doesn't sound like it offers anything decent for the subscription cost, I'll still probably pick up MW3 but I won't be paying for the service.

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
So it sounds like:
Competitive Groups(for matches), Steam Groups(for friends with Peanut Allergies), Stat Tracker, and Theater mode of BOPs/Replay posting to Youtube feature.

GreyKnight3445

Nov 2, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
You know, so long as the core online play is unaffected I don't really care. I won't get it, but I don't mind it being there.

In any case, cue lots of bitching in 3,2,1..
That is the kind of comment that relies on the first one, so congrats on the timing :D