Actor Gene Wilder Passes Away Age 83

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Actor Gene Wilder Passes Away Age 83

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1346/1346238.jpg
The star of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, Young Frankenstein and Stir Crazy has passed on.

Gene Wilder, star of classic hits Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory and Stir Crazy, passed away early Monday morning at his home in Stamford, Conn. He was 83 years old, and according to his nephew, filmmaker Jordan Walker-Pearlman, the cause was complications of Alzheimer's disease.

Wilder established himself as one of the great comedic actors of our time, working with infamous parody director Mel Brooks on movies like Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. His rule for comedy: don't try to make it funny; try to make it real. "I'm an actor, not a clown," he said more than once.

Perhaps Wilder's most famous role was in Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, where his fantastic portrayal of the titular Wonka helped the film to become a cult classic.

Wilder was an accomplished stage actor as well as a screenwriter, a novelist and the director of four movies in which he starred.

He is survived by his fourth wife Karen Boyer, whom he married in 1991 and his nephew

He will be missed.

Jan 12, 2012
Press F to take the Wonkavator to a better place.

Also, is Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory really a 'cult classic'? It's not like it's underground or popularly unappreciated.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Aww, I'm gonna be sad now whenever I see that meme :(

I only knew him from Will Wonka but I really liked that movie when I was younger, mostly because of him.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Awwww... Well, it's not like he didn't have a good run.

BTW, if anyone hasn't seen Start The Revolution Without Me!, I highly recommend it. It's an obscure film though so you may have some trouble indeed finding it. Assuming of course, you don't just order a hard copy of it on Amazon/Ebay.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Welp here's the obligatory one: Fuck you 2016!

Aside from that, I'm glad he quit acting in films when he did. What we're left with are the treasured memories he gave us, he bowed out at just the right time. While we'll all miss him, because he bowed out so early, at least we aren't left with the feeling of "but he could have done so much more!" He was a great man, a unique treasure that will live on forever in his work.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Press F to take the Wonkavator to a better place.

Also, is Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory really a 'cult classic'? It's not like it's underground or popularly unappreciated.
When it was released, it did poorly at the box office. It only really gained popularity in the years to follow. Ergo, "cult classic"

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I am now incredibly sad and irritated. Sad at the fact that he passed away and irritated at the fact that I could have met on of my all-time favorite actors and will now never get the chance.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Well his name was Gene, but most people called him...Gene.

Man this is very sad, he will be greatly missed RIP :(

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Last night I quoted Willy Wonka on Discord (well, my friend quoted him, but I corrected the line and said it how it was in the film :p), not 5 minutes later, a friend in the server reads on the news he died. My friends and I are all like "wtf!?"

Good day, sir.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
see you that and raise you this

"not a spec of light is showing
so the danger must be growing
are the fires of hell aglowing?
is the grizzly reaper mowing?
YES The danger must be growing
for the rowers keep on rowing
AND THEY'RE CERTAINLY NOT SHOWING
ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!"

I swear this scared 6 year old me so bad.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Jingle Fett said:
Well his name was Gene, but most people called him...Gene.

Man this is very sad, he will be greatly missed RIP :(
Actually his name was Jerome Silberman Gene Wilder was a stage name that over the years everyone came to know him as

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Ocelano said:
see you that and raise you this

"not a spec of light is showing
so the danger must be growing
are the fires of hell aglowing?
is the grizzly reaper mowing?
YES The danger must be growing
for the rowers keep on rowing
AND THEY'RE CERTAINLY NOT SHOWING
ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!"

I swear this scared 6 year old me so bad.
And that's where it should have ended

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
He was my favourite actor in Monty Python's The Quest For The Holy Grail.