Actors with Real Talent

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
Man, I glanced at this thread and saw "Actors with Real Taint"

Damn, guess I'll have to take my perversion else where.

I like Tom Waits, he can take anything from creepy to funny and back to creepy again in nine seconds.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
DiMono said:
At the top of my list is Brad Pitt. Action in Troy, comedy in the Oceans movies, a ridiculous character in Burn After Reading (he's just about the only good thing in it, actually), hallucination in Fight Club... it seems like every time he does a movie it's a complete 180 from the one he did last. Top. Of. My. List.
I concur in regards to Brad Pitt, but you left off his performance in Snatch!! Which is seriously one of his best. I suggest you add spoiler tags for Fight Club though for the poor poor people who haven't seen it. Also, Burn after Reading is an awesome film in every respect.

My other vote goes to Daniel Day Lewis. That guy is AMAZING.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Johnny Depp.
Tom Hanks.
Will Smith.
Liam Neeson.
Gary Oldman.
Leonardo Dicaprio.
Matt Damon.
R. Lee Ermey xD
Tom Sizemore.

Just a pick, someone of them just excel at war movies and others in general.

IMakeIce

Dec 21, 2010
The fact that Dustin Hoffman, Steve Martin, Hugh Laurie, and Kathy Bates have not been mentioned at all in this thread while FotM actors get tens of posts dedicated to them is just sad. Truly great actors/actress who literally disappear into their roles.

The only thing saving you all from a gigantic /headdesk is that Jack Nicholson and Jonny Depp, who are of the same caliber as the above, are mentioned several times.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
Natalie Portman, based on recent memory. Saw her in Brothers and she did a great job. Then the other day I saw her in Leon/The Professional, where she was only ~13, and she did a fantastic job with what I think was the lead role, despite the title. The cast was great, but I think she carried it all on her tiny shoulders. And I just about forgot she was in Garden State, another great role.

Although I have to admit, I am a sucker for female crying scenes. I almost recommended Sarah Michelle Gellar, as she has tons of great scenes in Buffy and she performed them beautifully, but she hasn't done anything big besides The Air I Breathe.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Shit. In addition to the great actors I already mentioned I just thought of a guy who has played a kindly sergeant, a federal agent, a counterfeiter, an Idol Fish, Jesus, a real vampire, Dick Cheney, Bobby Peru, T.S. Eliot, Time Itself, The Green Goblin, a needy scuba expert, and He. Willem Defoe, is there anything he can't do?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I can name many. So I'm just going to do top five epic voices

Patrick Stewart
Sir Ian McKellan
Morgan Freeman
Sean Connery
Christopher Lee

They all have instantly recognizable voices and acting talent to match.

ERS86

Sep 13, 2010
Gotta give a shout out to Russell Crowe. I think some people forget he's a really great actor with a lot of range because Gladiator is the first thing that comes to mind. But with films like Mystery, Alaska, A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, and The Next Three Days, he does some really good work, and I don't think I've been disappointed by a film he's been in yet.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Liam Neeson, Hugo Weaving, Liv Tyler, Russel Crowe, Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle, Will Smith, Natalie Portman, Kate Blanchete, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellan, Kate Mulgrew, Robert Picardo, Denzel Washington, Brent Spiner. In no particular order.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
ERS86 said:
Gotta give a shout out to Russell Crowe. I think some people forget he's a really great actor with a lot of range because Gladiator is the first thing that comes to mind. But with films like Mystery, Alaska, A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, and The Next Three Days, he does some really good work, and I don't think I've been disappointed by a film he's been in yet.
Romper Stomper as well.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Leondardo DiCaprio. He better at least get nominated for an Oscar this year.

He was great in Shutter Island and Inception.

Edit: Also Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Will Smith, Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey, Demi Moore, Will Farrel.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Well considering all mine are already listed I'll just say all of the above!I'd like to say Clint Eastwood but Clint really only plays Clint.

Dark2003

Jun 17, 2010
Anthony Hopkins, no since has ever made me want a person who eats other people to getting.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Tony Jay
Michael Bell
Simon Templeman
Brian Blessed

To name a few. I list these for their godly vocal talents.

gostchiken

Aug 22, 2009
Christopher Lee, granted he mostly plays the bad guy, but the sheer number of bad guys he plays is staggering.

Dracula, Sauruman, Count Dooku, the Jabberwocky, a James bond villain, and a pagan cult leader just off the top of my head, but the list goes on.