Actual City of Juarez Wants Videogame Juarez Banned

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
wait, first of all, children shouldn't even be playing those games, secondly, if they are going to ban this game, they should ban all violent video games.

Just because it has the name "Juarez" in it doesn't mean that it encourages people to be murderers and drug dealers. It is the content of the game, how do they not realise this?

Also, I highly doubt that it is the video game anyway, more like all the gangs everywhere and the upbringing rather than a bit of play time on a violent game...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
For the first time since I joined this community, I'm dissapointed at The Escapist.

Saying that Mexico, my very own country, is "not the safest place right now" is just an over statement. Yes, there are places worse than others, certainly my city isn't the meaning of safe, but at least it's not as bad as Juarez. Also, as for what I've recently heard, there are a couple of places in the US that aren't that "safe" either.

Sorry, I overreacted myself, it's just that I find it unfair, even offensive, when somebody points at us and state that my country is a bad place, almost like a war zone.

Juarez, as long as I remember, was always a really, really bad place. Thousand, if not millions, of women have unfairly died for the simple fact that they are women. Many people have died and it sucks to live there right now.

This is a bit delicate, I for one, don't advocate for censorship and I support the free will of speech, but to ban a game in just 1 small state that's almost a warzone seems like a smart choice for me. Although, piracy is huge in my country, so whoever wanted to play the game in the first place will find it.

Viva Mexico cabrones!!!

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Definitely do not advocate video game censorship, but it would be a little insensitive to take this particular case out of context. I mean, people are *still* dying everyday for crying out loud. It's not a case of history being shown for what it is or something. However, Medal of Honor was based on Afghanistan, how come that wasn't made an issue out of? I mean, are people desensitized to that already? Just like the African civil warring? Where is this line drawn?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Jumplion said:
Amidst all the knee-jerking "Kids aren't supposed to play it, dood!" I just have to think.

The situation is already bad enough over there that they don't need video games glorifying the situation there (because I have absolutely no confidence in the developer to deliver a thoughtful, mature story or gameplay with it) making things even more desensitized there. From what I have read on previous threads on the subject, it seems that there's barely any regulation there, let alone one for video games, so I'd say that it'd be very easy for kids to get their hands on the game.
I´m Méxican, and pretty much no parent really cares about what their kids are playing, its not that they dont know, they just dont care

you see those moms and dads that refuse to buy a toy gun or a toy sword to the kid because it promotes violence?? here most of us would actually laugh at the idea that a TOY is making my kid violent, I AM making my kid violent, or i am not, its not the toy, its how i raise him

and as most adults see VG as toys, well, they give them the same treatment

but well, most places here in MX dont have the problems kids face in schools on the US (bullies, discrimination, etcetcetc)

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Milky_Fresh said:
You guys fucking amaze me with how fucking self-absorbed you are.
Do you realise how much of a problem this shit is in Mexico? Do you realise that the only reason the problem isn't going away is that more and more 15-20 year olds are being drawn into it? For fuck's sake, the last thing that country needs is a fucking video game making drug cartels look like modern fucking cowboys. This game will glamourise these psychos, because if it isn't fun to play then they've fucking failed, haven't they?
Step outside of your fucking bedroom once in a while and have a look around. The world isn't "out to get" video games, even if Fox News is. Fox News isn't the world. I live in fucking Australia, besides Germany there is no worse place in the developed world to be a gamer, and I'm telling you that this game needs to be banned, because it will get people killed. Grow the fuck up.
woah man, you took it to harsh, i get what you are saying, not just 5 days ago we had a shooting in my town, i live in México, in Cuautla Morelos, this town has neve being trully peacefull, but a shooting in broad daylight was a new one for me (25 yo living here all my life) and i can only imagine what it would feel like to have those every day, i know most of this guys only read "VG-Violence" and ramble on like always, but it says it right in the news post that its making being in a cartel glamorous, something no one over here wants

but you took it a step too high mate, no reason to curse, not even if you are completelly right and people keep being so self absorved

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Who is on board of a 9-11 game? I mean, think about it. We could make it real cool, tell a real high octane story of survival and overall badassery, all from the passengers' viewpoint. Throw in some cool stealthy and shooting mechanics and you can have the videogame version of the first half of passenger 57.

You can retake the plane and feel the thrills of saving everyone onboard, changing the course of American history...forever!

How about that? I mean, this is the exact same kind of thing. If you agree with that game seeing the light of day (Call of Juarez) then you should agree with this game (9-11: Redux). At least for the sake of consistency.

I like censorship as much as I like this game, as I do admit it is pushing a rather sore spot, but whatever, have it your way guys, I do understand that you don't care, that you don't have to care, and that you are entitled not to care (no sarcasm here, honest). But let's all agree then that a 9-11 video game could be cool 'cause I'm starting to get some nifty ideas.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HentMas said:
Jumplion said:
Amidst all the knee-jerking "Kids aren't supposed to play it, dood!" I just have to think.

The situation is already bad enough over there that they don't need video games glorifying the situation there (because I have absolutely no confidence in the developer to deliver a thoughtful, mature story or gameplay with it) making things even more desensitized there. From what I have read on previous threads on the subject, it seems that there's barely any regulation there, let alone one for video games, so I'd say that it'd be very easy for kids to get their hands on the game.
I´m Méxican, and pretty much no parent really cares about what their kids are playing, its not that they dont know, they just dont care

you see those moms and dads that refuse to buy a toy gun or a toy sword to the kid because it promotes violence?? here most of us would actually laugh at the idea that a TOY is making my kid violent, I AM making my kid violent, or i am not, its not the toy, its how i raise him

and as most adults see VG as toys, well, they give them the same treatment

but well, most places here in MX dont have the problems kids face in schools on the US (bullies, discrimination, etcetcetc)
Fair enough, but I think the people of Juarez specifically or wherever the violence is happening in have bigger problems to deal with than regular bullying (which subsequently turns into real-life violence). While I think much of the complaints are extremely premature, as we know next to nothing of the game, I can understand their concerns of the game and it's impact on the area.

Ulixes Dimon

Jul 25, 2010
If these politicians knew anything about the game or video games themselves they would know not only is the games title a mere coincidence but also that the game is for those who are 17 and older.

(If you didn't know there are two previous titles also named Call of Juarez, the origional title was about the fabled gold of Juarez, also there was a man named Juarez in the game, hence the name. So it really does have NOTHING to do with the town it is just a continuation of the series into modern day. The main character from the original,who was a reverend at the town church, he turned to violence because a stranger came to town and started killing people so i assume that this time the Drug Cartel is causing trouble and he is fighting it.)

WhiteShadow2401

Jul 10, 2009
Kaleion said:
CardinalPiggles said:
this is rediculous, he may as well be saying ALL violent games should be banned.
It's different, you don't understand there are people dying every day over there and it's a truly horrible situation, and to make it worse the government is not really doing anything to stop this, there are people getting raped and murdered over there, I don't know if you understand but it's really horrible to make a crime game in real city where people are getting killed and raped, and the cartels have practically taken over the place, it's really quite offensive for those of us who live in Mexico.
Well... I'm mexican, I live quite close to Chihuahua and I want to play this game. Out of curiosity, mostly. Offensive? Maybe. Do I think they should ban it? Nah.

It's GRAW all over again... And I actually liked that game. So maybe I'm a "malinchista" (For those who don't know what that is, it means that I basically hate everything about Mexico) or maybe, just maybe, I don't think that a game is going to make any difference, either for better or worse, in Ciudad Juarez or anywhere in the country.

Bah! I'm sure two months after the game is out, everyone will have forgotten about it. And all this fuss? Just ANOTHER waste of time.

But that's just my opinion =P...

Nov 12, 2010
Really now,just because you finally have a game based around the area that isn't about vacations or such,it gets the hammer?Frankly,I see this as funny.

Since when was slandering fact a substitute for anything in a successful and in no way negative manner?There are mental issues just waiting from hiding away this stuff for people to find as kids.Really,the best thing to do would be to have children accept reality before all this awkwardness and confusion sets in from the lies.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
"But we also should not expose children to this kind of scenarios so that they are going to grow up with this kind of image and lack of values."

What? They don't need to see a video game to see that shit, they fucking live with it.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
How about doing something to fight the actual crime in Juarez instead? That seems too logical for these people I guess.

Not to mention they are judging the game even before they know what it's about. JUST BECAUSE IT'S A VIDEO GAME. They would never do such a thing if it was movie. They would at least wait until they've seen it. My observation from a couple of screenshots is that protagonists in the game are COPS who fight THE CARTEL! Isn't that good publicity for these morons?

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
squid5580 said:
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
I can't support the ban as I never condone censorship. But in this case I can understand the logic.
What?? why? Is Ubisoft going to force people to play it? Because if people aren't being given the choice not to buy/rent/play it then ya i can understand the logic. But if we banned every game some group found offensive we would only have Tetris.

And it will probably have an M rating meaning it is already off limits to children.
Tetris is offensive to the families of people who have been crushed by falling blocks.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
As juvenile as it is and for all the good it would do, I really cannot blame him for taking a punt on this. The power that drug cartels wield in countries like Mexico is phenomenal, and beyond terrifying and anything that makes these assholes look good is in poor taste from his point of view.

On the other hand, if the point of the game is to gather a legion of supermen and women to go and take the fight to the cartels, then the game should be distributed for free in Mexico.

Take that you murdering, miserable bunch of bastards.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Don't complain Mexico, if you can't stand seeing games made off of the Cartel, kill the Cartel, don't disrespect someones hard time and work into a video game!

whtkid6969

Jul 11, 2010
It always goes back to "the children". I say go for it, cause technically the only kids playing the game are those who are supposed to be mature enough that their parents think they can

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
VGC USpartan VS said:
Don't complain Mexico, if you can't stand seeing games made off of the Cartel, kill the Cartel, don't disrespect someones hard time and work into a video game!
Maybe you should try rubbing two brancells together before making a statement to a whole bunch of people: kill the Cartel. Really?

Just a thought.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So we're two months into the year and already two big gaming controversies have popped up:

Bulletstorm vs. Fox News and idiotic psychiatrists or whatever

Call of Juarez vs. City of Juarez

Hm... I wonder what other controversies we can expect to see. Maybe Duke Nukem will get chewed out within the next month or so. Any other ideas? lol