Adam Orth Resigns Following Always-Online Twitter Comments

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Mr.K. said:
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Seems a little extreme, firing a dude for acting out of context and being a bit of a cock.
But he wasn't fired he resigned, it's not like the company would force him into doing something he didn't want to do himself, he had complete creative freedom in the matter...
Executives and politicians very commonly "resign" rather than be fired. It's a way to let people save face. I seriously doubt that his departure was coincidental.

Zombie_Moogle said:
Who'd have guessed being an enormous ass to your employer's entire consumer base at once would be a firing offense?
#everybody.ever
Unless you work for Bioware, where it's high-fives all around.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
Many people don't understand that Freedom of Speech does not separate one from the Shackles of Consequence. The term is relative.
Indeed, you can be an asshole and say stupid shit but that doesn't mean you aren't going get your ass beat for it! :3

Honestly all I have to say about this is, good! It was the least he deserved for making a complete idiot asshole of himself in front of the world. They call it twitter for a reason, it's full of twits!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Callex said:
A shame, really. The thing is, the 'critic' the man was addressing was actually a friend he had a history of tongue-in-cheek verbally sparring with. This fact was completely neglected of course from any reports of the matter and now another career is down the drain. The kind of comments he made really should have been exchanged a little more privately...
IronMit said:
Fired for telling a bad joke....that's really quite sad (I am assuming the always online DRM xbox is not really happening)

However, if what he said was true, he has been fired for confirming something he shouldn't have.
You have to keep in mind that companies such as Microsoft rely VERY heavily on their public appearance. If you have one of your executives going around saying essentially "If you don't have good internet by now, fuck you" - even sarcastically or jokingly with a friend - in a VERY public manner...well, do the termms "PR Nightmare" mean anything to you? It's the same as that asshat that worked for the 3rd party game controller company, that guy that went around saying that he knew celebrities, game studio CEOs, and even mayors while insulting the customers. Granted, his douchebaggery was in emails, but as soon as those emails went public he got kicked to the curb.

A huge part of the job is customer relations, and if you do something that seems to very blatantly insult your customers like that then you can't expect to keep your job. If a company lets a dickhead like that say stuff like that without any comment or consequences, then the public could begin to think that said dickhead is expressing the company's real feelings, leading people to believe that the company is full of dickheads like that. As the article mentioned, he's not the first person to get fired for saying something stupid on Twitter and he definitely will not be the last. I'm sure Miicrosoft might have even been understanding to the situation as he explained it to them (which is why he was asked to resign rather than getting shit-canned), but from a PR perspective that guy had to go so the company could make it clear they did not condone his condescending attitude towards people without access to good internet connections.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The things he said were completely dickish, the bit about not wanting to live in areas with a bad internet connection is inexcusable, but are we meant to feel better that he's lost his job over this? It makes me hate Microsoft more that they're so willing to through someone under a bus

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Fayathon said:
I'd feel bad for the guy if he wasn't being such a giant ass about the whole thing.
Its said the whole thing is a back and forth of two friends trolling each other.

Something reporters fail to grasp, because that doesn't sell.
I heard that as well but conversations like that shouldn't be had on Twitter. The downside to being in a position like his is that you have to be careful with what you say while being publicly recorded.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
To be honest I feel sorry for him. This took an unexpected turn, it kind of reminds me of Donglegate. Is funny to think that tweeting something might get you, and other people, fired from a job.

Anyway...

Deal with it.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I wish I could muster some tiny bit of sympathy for Orth but... Can't. Not even a little. There is simply no other outcome possible when you insult your customers in a public setting, no matter who you are.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Not sure I like the idea of someone being fired for stating their oppinion like that but the guy was rude to customers/co-workers so it isn't surprising.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
JemothSkarii said:
Yes, I'm sure he resigned much like I did; 'Resign or be fired'.
Sounds a hell of a decision to make. Resign so you're not fired from a job that future employers will be aware of, or be fired so he can actually have a severance package...

Jan 27, 2011
Yup, not surprised.

I'm betting his boss called him into his office to tell him "You can't SAY stuff like that on Twitter! Do you have ANY idea how bad this makes us look?! We need every OUNCE of PR power to convince gamers that our always online console is a GOOD thing! And you ruined it! Either get out, or I throw you out! Take your pick!"

Grouchy Imp said:
Looks like he's lost connection with Microsoft's Employment server.

Shame.
His fault. He should have lived somewhere with a better connection to the employment server. #DealWithIt

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Ken Sapp said:
I hope that if MS were planning on "always-online" as a feature that this episode has caused a quick about face.

Callex said:
A shame, really. The thing is, the 'critic' the man was addressing was actually a friend he had a history of tongue-in-cheek verbally sparring with. This fact was completely neglected of course from any reports of the matter and now another career is down the drain. The kind of comments he made really should have been exchanged a little more privately...
Doesn't matter if it was to a friend. Twitter comments are notorious for being a broadcast message. By the very nature of the service it is difficult to track a conversation and thus every executive should be conscious of how their posts or replies may be misconstrued by people other than the intended target. Also, it is hard enough to convey things like sarcasm using text alone and it is even harder to do so with only 140 chars. As such messages should be kept private or say only what you actually intend in clear language.
Usually I'm against holding things people do on their own time against them, but I think you're right that in this case it's justified. Twitter is a public forum, it's not like Facebook where most people have an expectation of privacy. If a high level employee of a company posts something about that company on twitter, it comes across as an official statement, whether it's meant to be or not. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of holding twitter against people without looking at the circumstances[footnote]for example, that 17 year old in the UK who got fired from her job for something she posted when she was 14, that shouldn't have happened.[/footnote], but this is a case where it looks justified. Whether it was for upsetting the customers or letting the cat out of the bag about the always online DRM, that was a dumb move on his part. Especially because it came off as really insensitive and out of touch -- there's wide sections of the United States where the people are spread too thin to justify anything faster than dial up to the service providers, unless you want to pay through the nose for satellite internet, which is only marginally faster. People on the coasts have a bad habit of forgetting that about the people in the middle of the country, and I say this as a Floridian. We have great internet, by US standards. Which are terrible by international standards, but I digress.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
JemothSkarii said:
Yes, I'm sure he resigned much like I did; 'Resign or be fired'.
Sounds a hell of a decision to make. Resign so you're not fired from a job that future employers will be aware of, or be fired so he can actually have a severance package...
Well for me the choice was easy enough; Resign so I'd have another reference. Granted I worked in a customer servicey kind of place and the circumstances which lead to my resignation were completely different (health reasons), but considering the reactions that he got to himself...I'd say that was the choice he got considering the absolute shitstorm he kicked up.

But I've never worked for Microsoft, never will.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
I would hope that any plans to make the console always online got reconsidered with this backlash.
I want to agree with you, but that would require consideration for the consumer and foresight on Microsoft's part. Neither of these are allowed in the upper echelons of the game industry these days.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Fayathon said:
I'd feel bad for the guy if he wasn't being such a giant ass about the whole thing.
Its said the whole thing is a back and forth of two friends trolling each other.

Something reporters fail to grasp, because that doesn't sell.
Acting as an ass in public does not excuse that it's between friends, if you want to make jokes like that don't do it where the world can watch.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Callex said:
I'm sorry, but regardless of how he may have tried to save face after the fact, the guy still acted like an idiot and basically caused a PR nightmare for his employer by all but publicly saying that their customers could go fuck themselves if they didn't like the sound of an always online console.

You're absolutely right when you say that the comments should have been exchanged privately. But they weren't and he deserved to get fired for being an idiot about this. If his career now goes down the drain the he has no one to blame but himself. I'm not going to feel bad for someone who points a gun at their own foot and pulls the trigger.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
GAunderrated said:
IronMit said:
Fired for telling a bad joke....that's really quite sad (I am assuming the always online DRM xbox is not really happening)

However, if what he said was true, he has been fired for confirming something he shouldn't have.
That is what we are going to find out in May. Did he get fired for revealing it before they tried to spin it like its something gamers wanted or did he get fired for getting microsoft all this negative press?

I personally think its because he hinted at the always-online before the PR department has finished their brainstorm on how to re-brand it. lol.
My suspicion is that yes, always online was in fact part of the core design of the New XBox. But MS is in a state of quiet panic over that after seeing the disasters that were Diablo 3, and in particular the pure evil that was the SimCity release, and the public backlash against the concept. So they are scambling to either spin the feature or figure out a way to rip it out this late in development. Regardless they do not want to talk about it this close to the Simcity debacle, because their is no way that that benefits them. Tying their systems functionality to Simcity's flaws in the consumers minds will increase Sony's PS4 sales. As I said, they have been trying to lay low and not talk about this in any way until gamer outrage over the concept of always online dies down a bit.

And then this dude opens his mouth and spills the beans...