Adding to the Escapist Experience With EXP

Archon

New member
Nov 12, 2002
916
0
0
Adding to the Escapist Experience With EXP

The Escapist is proud to announce its newest channel!

Read Full Article
 

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
I thought ScrewAttack had an exclusive deal with GameTrailers? Did this change?
 

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
314
0
0
Probably should have opened with this. That Screwattack video would have been better received with this as a preface.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
I wonder if James Rolfe still has a thing going with ScreAttack. I'd love to see AVGN appear on the Escapist to some extent. Wait... I've got it!

INVITE AVGN TO ESCAPIST EXPO 2013! :D
 

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
Fappy said:
I wonder if James Rolfe still has a thing going with ScreAttack.
It's tough to say. There's still a "AVGN/Cinemassacre" section on ScrewAttack's website, but nothing James or Cinemassacre has done in 2013 is on there. On top of that, AVGN videos have been going straight to YouTube lately, instead of GT/ScrewAttack first and YouTube years later (though they're still on GameTrailers at the same time as YouTube). I have no clue what the terms of their contract were, but I'm guessing ScrewAttack won't be getting any more new AVGN content, simply retaining the right to show what they've already got.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, though, this post is mostly speculation. I have no clue what's going on.
 

Mufujumon

New member
Nov 2, 2009
25
0
0
I'd love to see you get in touch with RockLeeSmile from YouTube and Indie-Impressions.com, and get some of his indie impression videos on the site. That'd be really cool! :3
 

VortexCortex

New member
May 1, 2013
30
0
0
And so it begins. Once the New Media had put down the Old Media Monopolies they soon took up the reins and began the cycle of content conglomeration again. Somewhere, in the distance, an even newer form of decentralized media is birthing in the minds of mankind. One where the Syndicate of Senseless Syndication Reduplication is replaced by redundant deduplication, one where commercials are obsolete because the users paid for the videos they want to see via crowd funding.

Quake Heartily, for Your business model is DUMB and thus doomed. This is the end of the beginning of the end.
 

Archon

New member
Nov 12, 2002
916
0
0
Covarr said:
I thought ScrewAttack had an exclusive deal with GameTrailers? Did this change?
I hope not, or lots of people are in big trouble!

PuckFuppet said:
Probably should have opened with this. That Screwattack video would have been better received with this as a preface.
No doubt. :-\ There was an internal error that led to the video being posted before my Publisher's Note. The responsible parties have been asked to commit seppuku.

MinionJoe said:
So a variety show is what's replacing Reel Physics? :/
No, not at all. EXP is a totally different business model and channel than our main line of shows. We publish shows like Zero Punctuation, Unskippable, or Reel Physics on an exclusive basis. We will continue to feature exclusive content for our site. The EXP channel is a place where we can distribute content non-exclusively, created by partners.
 

Archon

New member
Nov 12, 2002
916
0
0
VortexCortex said:
And so it begins. Once the New Media had put down the Old Media Monopolies they soon took up the reins and began the cycle of content conglomeration again. Somewhere, in the distance, an even newer form of decentralized media is birthing in the minds of mankind. One where the Syndicate of Senseless Syndication Reduplication is replaced by redundant deduplication, one where commercials are obsolete because the users paid for the videos they want to see via crowd funding.

Quake Heartily, for Your business model is DUMB and thus doomed. This is the end of the beginning of the end.
I shared this on my Tumblr. Several of my followers are re-tweeting it.
 

Archon

New member
Nov 12, 2002
916
0
0
Archon said:
No, not at all. EXP is a totally different business model and channel than our main line of shows.
Thanks for reply! I'd wondered after I posted if it wasn't a different business model. Seemed like the contracting would be different given the nature of the new feature, and now I know!

Doesn't mean I won't miss Reel Physics (Not to late to bring them back for season 2, is it?), but I appreciate the information.

(Addendum: I've found that making underlings commit sudoku improves production more than seppuku. Sharpen the mind, not the blade. :) )
 

Archon

New member
Nov 12, 2002
916
0
0
MinionJoe said:
(Addendum: I've found that making underlings commit sudoku improves production more than seppuku. Sharpen the mind, not the blade. :) )
Given how math-averse some writers are, playing sudoku might be worse than death!
 

Lunar Templar

New member
Sep 20, 2009
8,225
0
0
at first i was like 'o.o? wtf are they doing here?', though not in the bad way, love the top 10s and VGVs, then I was like 'o.o oh .. Welcome neighbors! -.- STAY.OUT.OF.THE.BASEMENT.'
 

Alfador_VII

New member
Nov 2, 2009
1,326
0
0
Well this is an interesting idea, but as I said in the thread for the first video, I hated that one. Well the only way is up.

Also if this is meant to be the latest and greatest thing, why on earth is the link to it hidden waaaaay down the bottom of the page?
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Alfador_VII said:
Well this is an interesting idea, but as I said in the thread for the first video, I hated that one. Well the only way is up.

Also if this is meant to be the latest and greatest thing, why on earth is the link to it hidden waaaaay down the bottom of the page?
We will be extending that part of our front page to include links to EXP content as more videos, series, and producers come on board.
 

Archon

New member
Nov 12, 2002
916
0
0
Alfador_VII said:
Well this is an interesting idea, but as I said in the thread for the first video, I hated that one. Well the only way is up.

Also if this is meant to be the latest and greatest thing, why on earth is the link to it hidden waaaaay down the bottom of the page?
That section of the page is one of our highest-trafficked areas. Our visitors like to scroll down to click "Read More" on the news. We heat-mapped it, and then placed EXP where we knew it would catch some eyeballs.

Also, each day, one show from EXP content will appear in the top carousel. So that'll be sort of an "editor's pick". That gets more interesting when we add more partners, of course!
 

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
4,797
0
0
Must say, this sounds like a really neat idea! =D

I have absolutely no idea who I'd like to see on it mind, but more content is almost always a good thing.
 

CriticalMiss

New member
Jan 18, 2013
2,024
0
0
I'm excited to announce the launch of a new slate of content for our site, called EXP. EXP, which is short "Escapist Extras Program"
I'm sorry, but I am going to be forced to called it EEP.

Is this going to be a weekly thing (one video per week) or will it have it's own schedule with different content on different days? The first video was kind of crap but hopefully they improve.
 

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
2,821
0
0
Archon said:
Alfador_VII said:
Well this is an interesting idea, but as I said in the thread for the first video, I hated that one. Well the only way is up.

Also if this is meant to be the latest and greatest thing, why on earth is the link to it hidden waaaaay down the bottom of the page?
That section of the page is one of our highest-trafficked areas. Our visitors like to scroll down to click "Read More" on the news. We heat-mapped it, and then placed EXP where we knew it would catch some eyeballs.

Also, each day, one show from EXP content will appear in the top carousel. So that'll be sort of an "editor's pick". That gets more interesting when we add more partners, of course!
I agree as someone who clicks the "read more" button for things I missed (though the button didn't work for a bit today, it's fixed now). I did notice the exp box but I would suggest some kind of a colour change, it doesn't really draw the eye when it has the same blue and white colour scheme as the rest of the escapist.

Anyway, always nice to have more content. Thanks for the effort!

EDIT:

After checking it out again I see it's a bit darker than the normal format but a slightly thicker outline around the box it's in might help draw some eyes without clashing too much with the rest of the layout.
 

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
314
0
0
Archon said:
PuckFuppet said:
Probably should have opened with this. That Screwattack video would have been better received with this as a preface.
No doubt. :-\ There was an internal error that led to the video being posted before my Publisher's Note. The responsible parties have been asked to commit seppuku.
Their sacrifice will be honoured in the coming Empire.