Adjusting Battlefield 3's Brightness Could Get You Banned

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Entitled said:
Another example of content holders caring more about securing total control over their users, than about having a sane business model.
Mortamus said:
This just seems like a whiny developer that doesn't like the fact that people aren't wanting to play the game the way they designed it. I never actually realized how dead the set pieces looked until I saw this. It seriously looks like there is no life in the game. Then color came in and it looked alive and thriving.
I think it's more about maintaining Battlefield 3 as a competitive online game. If some people are modding their game (even just changing the colours), then that has the potential to destroy any sense of a level playing field. How about if someone had a mod to make all other players stand out strongly from the background, making it impossible for anyone to hide from them?

It could be seen as lazy, but it's just easier to allow no mods at all than it is to try to assess each mod for game-breaking ability. (Or to maintain separate servers for using mods and not using mods.)

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Wars are often portrayed like recordings of WW2, in black and white or with so little colour that they might as well be. I don't like my games gritty and depressing so carry on modders.

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
This is so dumb, if I would ever get BF3 I'd want it to not make my eyes vomit.
I'm not saying battlefield 3 is a bad looking game, just all the filters like motion blur, desaturation, screen blur, noise muffling, dust fuckin everywhere is very diorienting for me and makes me nauseous everytime I play it.
if this little mod can fix that I'll risk getting banned

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
modding is inavoidable part of any game (except the craphole versions). you are much better off encouraging it like World of tanks did while making them unable to change actual gameplay than trying to hunt it off.
This looks like Putin dictatorship from EA.
ill just leave this here:

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
MetalMagpie said:
I think it's more about maintaining Battlefield 3 as a competitive online game. If some people are modding their game (even just changing the colours), then that has the potential to destroy any sense of a level playing field. How about if someone had a mod to make all other players stand out strongly from the background, making it impossible for anyone to hide from them?

It could be seen as lazy, but it's just easier to allow no mods at all than it is to try to assess each mod for game-breaking ability. (Or to maintain separate servers for using mods and not using mods.)
I can't agree with this at all, I'm afraid. While the environments where not colorful at all, the character models in TF2 were very colorful with the bright red or blue that popped out of the environment they were in. Having said that, TF2 has amazing competitive play.

I'm honestly confused by your argument.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I get that the filter removal could give players an unfair, if slight, advantage in multiplayer. I also understand that the way Battlefield is set up pretty much seems to make it so that you simply can't mod things, whether the intention is nefarious or not; whether you're altering the color scheme or making handgun bullets that explode like grenades, it probably just comes up as "CHEAT!" on some remote terminal.

That said, remember what a permanent ban means in the wonderful world of f@#$ing Origin. Little extreme, guys? Ya think?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Mortamus said:
MetalMagpie said:

I can't agree with this at all, I'm afraid. While the environments where not colorful at all, the character models in TF2 were very colorful with the bright red or blue that popped out of the environment they were in. Having said that, TF2 has amazing competitive play.

I'm honestly confused by your argument.
Yes, and in TF2 that's the same for everyone, so it's perfectly fair. The situation in Battlefield 3 would be that for one player (the one using the mod) the character models stand out from the background, whilst for everyone else they're camouflaged. So one player is able to snipe people from across the map, whilst staying completely hidden from everyone else's view.

For a game to be a solid competitive experience, everyone needs to be competing on a level playing field. This is not the case if some players have used a mod to give themselves an advantage.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
So people are surprised modifying game files gets you banned in an online game? Wow. You guys haven't played them much, have you? Got some news for you, this same rule goes for pretty much every other online game out there. Why don't you ***** at WoW about it? Hell, WoW banned a mod that was WITHIN its modding rights, modifying the UI only, because it gave an unfair advantage, EA is banning here because players are modifying the actual game files (in a purely competetive game at that).

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
the solution, dear gentlemen, is an FXAA injector. since it's injected into the game instead of modding files, it doesn't get you banned (i use it since day 1) and it has the same effect. now it doesn't give you any advantage ingame concerning spotting people easyer, but it sure as hell looks MUCH better.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I have always understood why dice wouldn't want to have people modding there game to much its fine in something single player but with multiplayer it is just frustrating ask any dayZ player but this is taking it a bit too far.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
EA really needs to fuck off and die.

If i buy the game, i own it and can change it however i want. Want to fight about it, EA, i'll take you to Australian court and we'll see how incredibly fucking badly that goes for you guys. Especially when the ban is for Origin.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Grr how dare someone want to use their $2000 gaming rig to render the 5369th gray-brown middle eastern city in a color palate that is a bit more apealing. Ban their asses. (basic summery of ea's and dice's logic)

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Such a shame. I can see why it might be considered unfair, possibly giving gamers using the mod an advantage but still. =/