Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Mysticgamer

Apr 14, 2009
Player Two said:
I cannot believe this. Can you actually make humour - proper humour - that does not, somewhere, offend somebody? And why is it that one family, and one orphan, are upset over a few lines of dialogue in a freaking video game? What on earth is going to happen if he sends her to school?

Oh, so I guess Pokemon is 'E' for everybody except people who think that putting animals in cages is cruel. And Minecraft is 'E' for everybody except people who are easily reminded of the suicide bomber that killed their friend/relative/etc. Mario Kart is 'E' for everybody except people who became paraplegics in go-karting accidents.

Come to think of this, how did it even make the news?
I read this on 1up.com under the title slow news day in (whatever the city the family was in)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Good lord. Grow a backbone please. If you can't take a light joke, wait 'till you hear the serious stuff intended to make you feel like trash.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Meh, I got no problem with the guy whining about it, at least he's not being over-dramatic about it or attempting any mindless legal action. Hell, he's still playing the game, but he loses major points for making this into a news article. Some people just need to grow up about the notion of what is 'offensive' and how they respond to it.

Sep 9, 2007
Bob the frantic said:
Ruley said:
NB: E for everyone? American rating system I take it?

My portal 2 box says 12+. I guess we Brits have the right idea in terms of age restrictions (in this situation).
Please, that's nothing. The winner is definitely Australia, the most overprotective country for games. It's PG 15+ here. (Technically, it's the second lowest rating in the system, but I've never understood why it jumps to 15 like that)
Uhh... PG is not 15+, that is either M, or MA15+. All it means is that Parental Guidance is recommended, nothing more.

Sauce: Here [http://tinyurl.com/yf5q62p]

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
The Eupho Guy said:
Bob the frantic said:
Ruley said:
NB: E for everyone? American rating system I take it?

My portal 2 box says 12+. I guess we Brits have the right idea in terms of age restrictions (in this situation).
Please, that's nothing. The winner is definitely Australia, the most overprotective country for games. It's PG 15+ here. (Technically, it's the second lowest rating in the system, but I've never understood why it jumps to 15 like that)
Uhh... PG is not 15+, that is either M, or MA15+. All it means is that Parental Guidance is recommended, nothing more.

Sauce: Here [http://tinyurl.com/yf5q62p]
My mistake. I come from the old days before colour coding when my statement was true. Looks like Australia is less overprotective than I thought (It still is though *cough* R rated games *cough*).

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Player Two said:
I cannot believe this. Can you actually make humour - proper humour - that does not, somewhere, offend somebody? And why is it that one family, and one orphan, are upset over a few lines of dialogue in a freaking video game? What on earth is going to happen if he sends her to school?

Oh, so I guess Pokemon is 'E' for everybody except people who think that putting animals in cages is cruel. And Minecraft is 'E' for everybody except people who are easily reminded of the suicide bomber that killed their friend/relative/etc. Mario Kart is 'E' for everybody except people who became paraplegics in go-karting accidents.

Come to think of this, how did it even make the news?
Good humor always offends.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Geez people. Give the guy a break. The child is 10. 10 year olds can be susceptible to all sorts of insults, and perhaps more so being adopted.

I think he has a right to be annoyed. It's not like he's blaming videogames for fucking up humanity here. He's just saying his 10 year old got upset by the E rated game.

I think some of the reaction I'm seeing here is exactly the reason people think we as gamers are violent angry individuals warped by our hobby. Some people need to stop thinking the world's against them and just chill out a little.

EinTheCorgi

Jun 6, 2010
Am I the only one who found it funny that there daughters name is Zoey and they were playing a valve game? but anyway its a joke and its a robot...robots aren't nice...

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Oh gamer community, getting all worked up because one person among the billions in the world thinks a game that you like is offensive. How silly.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
captain underpants said:
Why does he hate fat people?
They ate the cake.
At his birthday party. There were supposed to be candles and everything, but the fat people ate those too.

We can get you more cake, if you just come back to the furnace room?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
ineedscissors said:
"...and I'm thinking maybe it's rated 'E' for everybody except for orphans."

Don't know why, but for some reason this line made me laugh so hard.
It does sound like something GlaDos might actually say -.-

IDTheftVictim

Jan 20, 2011
Despite how over-sensative this parent appears to me, I'm glad that the parent said "We'll just avoid that part" rather than yelling at others to fix it. I think it shows the parent actually being a parent rather than trying to load the responsibility on another group like most attacks on "offensive" gaming, not sure how he made the news though.

silentx3ro

May 9, 2011
I love when these things pop up, not just for the daft folk getting all offended by the smallest thing in a video game but also for some of the comments the articles get on here of just pure bile and flame.

"ARRRGH they are offended by something...that offends me, now here is a wall of curse words!"

XD

OT: I found the back and forth about adoption in Portal 2 to be hilarious, I should mention here that I am an adopted orphan, which is likely why I found it so funny. As for the fathers concerns that he had never told his child and what damage it might do, I discovered I was adopted in quite an abrubt way at a young age, come to think of it two bantering ai would have made it alot better.

I'm the same ethnicity as my parents so it was totaly out of left field to me, however, they raised me pretty well so I delt with it and moved on and it had no major impact to my identity or my life.

Anyway, my point being, if this is something that really effects this girl now or in later life she is going to have a hell of a bad time out in the real world.

Another win for over reaction and media mountains from molehills.

SamuraiShinrai

Oct 11, 2010
Pipotchi said:
I'm an adopted child watch now as I build an enormous mountain out of this molehill. this is taken completely out of context and this man should be ashamed.

Plus newsflash mate if your white your wife is white and your daughter is Chinese? Yeah she knows shes adopted shes ten, not an idiot.
Agreed, there's only so much to be said here other than this guy getting pissed off for no valid reason.