Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Bneuf

Apr 18, 2011
Don't call the child stupid, or say she won't be able to take it, its just her father that seems to be a bit sensitive. He just doesn't understand.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
What...really? This is a joke right? Right?

*headdesk*

(I'm serious I thought this was a joke when I first read it...)

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
People who take offense at anything are weakening the species with their very existence. Other's right to express themselves is more important than an individual/group's right to feel important by bitching and moaning about having a thin skin. It offends me...... wait a minute.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
That's the problem with society today, they're too worried that their precious little angel will kill him or herself if he or she so much as walks out the front door. But then again, can you really blame them? What with child protection breathing down their necks every second it's amazing that parents even have kids. (The responsible ones anyway.)

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
brunothepig said:
Scott Bullock said:
The actual joke that upset the family was a moment in the game when a character tells the protagonist, "Alright, fatty. Adopted fatty. Fatty, fatty no parents." Taken out of context, the joke could seem offensive to both the obese and the parentally-challenged, but against the backdrop of an insane and childish robot actively trying to make the main character feel bad, you would think that some of the sting would be taken out of the remark. Especially when the character who slung the insult says seconds later that there really isn't anything wrong with being adopted.
To be fair, they then say "for the record, you are adopted and that's terrible".
It's just GLaDOS trying to confuse Wheatley and all that. Also just to poke fun at him.
But as I said on the earlier thread, there will always be someone who is offended by comedy.
"I'm outraged, I'm gonna write a shit letter to a bad newspaper." - Tim Minchin
I feel like those two have a lot of experience dealing with this.

Awesome man, awesome.

KezzieZ

Sep 20, 2010
What?

Come on, it's not as if the game can tell whether or not you're fat, adopted, etc. and cater the insult to the player. It's a cheap little pot-shot from an insane antagonist.

That insult is the type that little grade-schoolers would use whether or not the kid it's directed towards is adopted. Have we human beings really become so thin-skinned that we take scripted insults at the main character of a video game this personally?

I honestly don't think it helps the daughter to blow this out of proportion either. He's practically proving to her that someone acknowledging the fact that she's adopted (which wasn't even the case in this incident) is supposed to be some sort of grave insult.

Dark1Elder

May 16, 2011
Yes i will agree the statements Glados and Wheatley make about orphans can be a little, and i mean only a little offensive to young orphans. But that's why they said them, to try and insult the main character. and besides if the guy had played Portal, its kinda expected that all the insults Glados spews will possibly insult at least one person of every group. Its what she does after all, test, insult, and incinerate humans.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Player Two said:
I cannot believe this. Can you actually make humour - proper humour - that does not, somewhere, offend somebody? And why is it that one family, and one orphan, are upset over a few lines of dialogue in a freaking video game? What on earth is going to happen if he sends her to school?

Oh, so I guess Pokemon is 'E' for everybody except people who think that putting animals in cages is cruel. And Minecraft is 'E' for everybody except people who are easily reminded of the suicide bomber that killed their friend/relative/etc. Mario Kart is 'E' for everybody except people who became paraplegics in go-karting accidents.

Come to think of this, how did it even make the news?
people (especially if you are in US) love to exaggerate even small details.
I think most of them are malevolent, and want to use these kind of events for their profits.

your daughter is not offended, but you are offended - the question should be: "why".
exaggerating this event and carrying it to the media, will just be a disadvantage for your kid. because people in the school will probably mock her.

must everything be politically corrected? no.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Space Spoons said:
Controversy for the sake of controversy. Guy probably just wanted his fifteen minutes of fame and saw this as a way to get it. World keeps on spinning, happens every time a big-name game drops.

Also, let me just say, I probably wouldn't let my 10-year-old child play Portal or Portal 2. The games aren't violently to the degree of other games out there, sure, but they deal with some pretty scary stuff. I know if I'd played Portal when I was ten, I would have had claustrophobic nightmares about murderous computers and elevators that drop into fire-pits for weeks.
Srrsly. You are straight up informed that everyone else has been killed by evil robots and science.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
Look, it's not about mountains and molehills or any of that nonsense.

Making fun of obese people is borderline but okay, seeing as they do it to themselves and it is a lifestyle choice. Wait. No. Stop. It is. Nobody ever got fat behind their own back; there's a lot of opportunity to pull out of the project. There's no such thing as big-boned (or rather, people who have big bones have them because they are fat, and the body needs to buttress the extra weight and...just read this short article [http://scienceblog.com/43858/overweight-people-really-are-big-boned/] if you don't believe me). There's no such thing as genetic markers that make people more susceptible to obesity; we all have those same markers. The only markers that increase probability of obesity are environmental ones: your parents letting you eat like a hog, adapting rather than responding to the social cues of peers when they make fun of you, ignoring doctors (or not going to the doctors for fear of reprisal) when they tell you it's unhealthy...ETC., ETC., ETC.

Being adopted is not something you can control, and it always leaves a psychological mark that makes you question your own value. This can be dealt with, and overcome, with support from family, and in some extreme cases, therapy...but that doesn't mean it's proper for a major video game publisher making a game rated for everyone to poke fun at adopted kids. Not only is it poking fun at adopted kids, but it's actually insinuating that they are, in fact, defective (the primary emotional worry for adopted children). The primary thing about it all is that adoption revolves around abandonment of an innocent, for whatever the reason, which takes it a step further than just jibing. Whoever wrote that joke in was either an insensitive bully themselves, or adopted themselves, and wanted to show just how cruel insensitive bullies can be.

Imagine if the joke had instead been about skin color. "Alright fatty. Casper fatty. Fatty fatty red-eye." Or, "Alright, fatty. Coon fatty. Fatty fatty swampbuck..." It's the same thing, even if there are no slurs to describe adopted children. It is isolating something about someone that is out of their control and that has probably caused them pain before the age of reason.

Should they get sued over it? No. Should they get bad press over it? Maybe. Should they go in and do a one-day patch that takes the joke out of the game? I think so.

Should they get an oversight committee to ensure their writing staff acts with a level of decorum that renders situations like this moot? Abso-fucking-lutely.

It's just very tacky, Valve. Indelicate, crude, tactless, and just outright in poor taste.