Adult Escapists: What do you do for a living?

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Property rental and development. When dad died, he left me a substantial amount of cash, so I followed in my grandfather's footsteps, and started purchasing rental properties to fix up and rent out for profit.

At the moment my annual revenue is about 300k, but only 60k of that turns into profit due to maintenance and other expenses. And I have to do approximately fuck-all work towards this.

aretelio

61.8% Water
May 4, 2011
I manage an automobile parts department for a multi-franchise dealership. (Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, VW, Nissan and Sprinter)

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
WrathOfAchilles said:
Computer Programmer. Although I just got accepted for a masters in Network Security so I'll probably be back at school again.
You are luuckky. I'm still working on my BS in Information Security at UMCP. I cannot wait until I'm able to get a job in the field. Government preferably.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
I'm studying to become an audio engineer, the guy who works behind the desk when recording bands, I enjoy it but I'm no where near the stage I want to be at. I also work part time at a bar and I serve food and beer to football(soccer) hooligans at my local football stadium, it's not very glamorous but it gives me enough money to get by and a bit on the side.

Valredwulf

Aug 23, 2010
I've been grooming dogs at Petco for the last five years and I'm would like to work at a bookstore now, I'm getting tierd of dirty biting dogs.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Yes, every job has its uses or importance, but they aren't equal by any means. If there's a choice between a primary school teacher, and the Prime Minister of the U.K (Or your country leader), it seems that you're saying that it's an impossible decision because they're just so equal.

The teacher was born in a low-class family, and so wasn't exposed to much politics and didn't have the opportunity to get into it. It doesn't mean that the teacher is just as important now as s/he could have been if s/he were a politician, it means that the potential was there, but never used, so a different path was taken, thus making the teacher as important as a teacher, not a politician.

Back to the doctor thing for a minute: Let's say the Janitors have aaaall disappeared from the hospital, that's a *****, right? But not a game over situation. Anyone could help clean the hospital with a 20 minute crash course, and plenty of people willing to help - Hell, if needs be, the on-call doctors (Or even ones with the day off) could do the cleaning and be paid extra.
But if there were no doctors, no amount of Janitors are going to be able to perform the surgery, prescribe the pills and diagnose the illness.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
I work in a school. Currently I encourage little kids to be less stupid, but I've applied for a job at another school which is an IT technicians jobs. Older kids poo themselves less often, I'll get paid more and IT stuff is something I've always been good at. Really hope I get it.

Count Igor said:
The teacher was born in a low-class family, and so wasn't exposed to much politics and didn't have the opportunity to get into it. It doesn't mean that the teacher is just as important now as s/he could have been if s/he were a politician, it means that the potential was there, but never used, so a different path was taken, thus making the teacher as important as a teacher, not a politician.
I'm sorry, are you aware you're talking out loud? I don't understand hoe being lower class has anything to do with being a teacher. And are you arguing that teachers aren't vital?

Oh, and if all the janitors disappeared from the hospital, people would die. There'd be mass outbreaks of MRSA and whatever else. I'm not saying they're more important than doctors, but think about what you're saying.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I'm taking 18+ here as a definition of adult. Studying (or not) for a degree in Pharmacology and Molecular Genetics

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I'm a physician. Internal medicine, but trying to get a fellowship in gastroenterology.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I have a masters in Computer Science and work as a Software Engineer for a big american company at the moment. Also hobbyist game programmer, guitar player and bookworm.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Well im not an adult yet (senior in high school, 17) but i do work at a bakery doing baking and various things around the bakery.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
Programmer and tech support. Been working for small businesses since I graduated, so I've been the only tech guy at my jobs. I end up doing pretty much any and all tech related stuff.

JasonEllis66

Oct 23, 2008
CPA at a small accounting firm in California Bay Area: prepare taxes, perform audits, do business consulting and all that jazz.