Adult Escapists: What do you do for a living?

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
For my sins i'm a barber, though i hate it! Decided to go back to education at the ripe old age of 22 (after a five year absense). I'm now studying 'interactive media' with hopes of breaking into the gaming industry when i finish. If i'm going to spend the rest of my life working i want to do something i enjoy!

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
Unemployed. I've been trying to get a job for ages, but employers just won't give me a chance. The job market and the system is just screwed: application forms, interviews, contracts, temporary positions, English and maths tests, stupid questions you get asked at interviews, having to kiss the employers' ass... I've just grown tired of it all. If only someone would just give me a chance! My grades aren't particularly impressive, but I did do an NVQ in retail. Fat lot of use that did for me.

I claim benefits to help feed my gaming addiction.

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
I currently work at KBS [http://www.kbs-clean.com/] cleaning stores such as K-Mart, Target, Macy's, Kohl's, etc.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Realitycrash said:
I study moral philosophy at the University of Gothenburg.
You mean Ethics? Cause I'd love to do something along those lines. I can probably blackmail my parents into financing my dream of becoming a classical philologist, but I've too much pride for that.

Right now, I'm a researcher for hire. Mostly college professors hire me to do research stuff outside of the field they subsidized by their institutions. Occasionally, professionals ask me to prepare proposals, resumés, and other things of this sort. I'm money roughly equivalent to a retail job, but the work is done mostly from home, and I get to learn about a lot of stuff which I would, otherwise, never had come to know.

SidingWithTheEnemy said:
I'm getting paid to torture children with Maths, English and Natural Sciences. In other words I am freelance private teacher. Yes, I love my job, let's hope I can do that until I die of old age.
Gah, I tried that, and I got payed pretty decent for it too. I just couldn't stand it. The boy, a high school freshman, was actually a decent kid, but the mother wanted just a little too much say in how I was teaching. I quit after two weeks.

wraithian

May 6, 2010
In a leadership position with the state's (Wyoming)info tech division. Mostly mainframe stuff, but also setting up data centers, etc.

Marzirocks

Mar 14, 2011
I'm the assistant manager at a fairly lame cheap stuff from China type store, and in nursing school.

Hell-On-Wheels

Sep 30, 2011
I'm a conductor at Union Pacific.
Great job with excellent pay and benefits, if you can stand to work on call 24/7/365 and be gone for a few days at a time.

A good gaming laptop and the awesome wifi at the hotel I stay at away from home help me to keep my sanity...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm a laboratory researcher, studying high-temperature alloys for energy turbines. It's got it's moments, but I'm looking for something new at the moment.

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
I work at a group home for the disabled, and I'm getting my second degree in Environmental Technology. My frist was Biopsychology. I also write theatre reviews, but I don't get paid for that.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I´m an achitect. I´m currently working in a number of competitions, which is the primary source of work for architects in my country. Yeah, economic crysis...you suck. Anyway, it´s a fun job, i love creative activities like drawing, and designing 3d models :)

JoeAverage1977

Oct 27, 2011
Event Scripter at Ubisoft Montreal, recently finished up AC rev. Easily the best job I've ever had (I've been here 6 years, does that qualify it as a career instead of a job yet?). The moment I knew this was the carreer for me was the moment that instead of thinking "Holy crap there's 4 hours left till I go home, this sucks" I thought "Holy crap it's already leaving time, man the day flies by!"

I'm annoyingly lucky that way :p

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
I'm a technically a civil technician. Branched out into architecture and by accident full engineering and architecture design. (I don't claim to be great at either, just how the ball dropped and what you got to do) also doing a degree in engineering by night as well as a diploma in invention and innovation. Throw in to that art classes (from which I sell tattoos I draw) and there you are.
Oh oh and some free lance design and planning permissions for new houses and such, surveys (green site etc.) and I have a small farm (5-6 acres of potatoes and some veg) as well.

Jesus it sounds a lot more busy when I write it like that then it actually is. :) I still have time to come on here and have a social life outside. Its good to be busy.

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
Gazzoid said:
Unemployed. I've been trying to get a job for ages, but employers just won't give me a chance. The job market and the system is just screwed: application forms, interviews, contracts, temporary positions, English and maths tests, stupid questions you get asked at interviews, having to kiss the employers' ass... I've just grown tired of it all. If only someone would just give me a chance! My grades aren't particularly impressive, but I did do an NVQ in retail. Fat lot of use that did for me.

I claim benefits to help feed my gaming addiction.
I know its a balls looking for work. My only advice is after every interview write down all the questions you remember being asked. Keep em and read over them before the next interview, make a growing list. The same questions always come up for these things. Oh and prepare for interviews, review the company and show interest.

BTW I am not trying to sound condescending, I have been through it. Even now I still write down the questions I am asked in interviews for promotions just for the next time if I don't get it.

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
aba1 said:
Count Igor said:
Back to the doctor thing for a minute: Let's say the Janitors have aaaall disappeared from the hospital, that's a *****, right? But not a game over situation. Anyone could help clean the hospital with a 20 minute crash course, and plenty of people willing to help - Hell, if needs be, the on-call doctors (Or even ones with the day off) could do the cleaning and be paid extra.
But if there were no doctors, no amount of Janitors are going to be able to perform the surgery, prescribe the pills and diagnose the illness.
So your saying that if there were no janitors than they would just hire someone to be a janitor? That logic makes no sense because then there are still janitors. If you are trying to make the point that they are more easily replaced I will agree but if you are saying they are less important I really have to disagree.

Education does not make a job more important it just means it takes more knowledge to do.

Just like a company owner is not more important than his workers because without them nothing gets done they are what makes the operation go sure his job is a one man thing which makes him unique but more important I disagree.
Count Igor said:
aba1 said:
Count Igor said:
Back to the doctor thing for a minute: Let's say the Janitors have aaaall disappeared from the hospital, that's a *****, right? But not a game over situation. Anyone could help clean the hospital with a 20 minute crash course, and plenty of people willing to help - Hell, if needs be, the on-call doctors (Or even ones with the day off) could do the cleaning and be paid extra.
But if there were no doctors, no amount of Janitors are going to be able to perform the surgery, prescribe the pills and diagnose the illness.
So your saying that if there were no janitors than they would just hire someone to be a janitor? That logic makes no sense because then there are still janitors. If you are trying to make the point that they are more easily replaced I will agree but if you are saying they are less important I really have to disagree.

Education does not make a job more important it just means it takes more knowledge to do.

Just like a company owner is not more important than his workers because without them nothing gets done they are what makes the operation go sure his job is a one man thing which makes him unique but more important I disagree.
Yes, it's saying they're easily replaced - I didn't say that no-one could ever be a janitor, I said that the current ones disappeared.
The education required for a doctor makes the individual person more important, as few people can do what they can, while many many people can do what a janitor does. Even if anyone can be a doctor, like anyone can be a janitor, the job itself is still more important, as each doctor has great significance to each patient's life.

Another one is that if someone is suffering from a mysterious illness, and a mediocre doctor can't do anything, because they cannot diagnose it, while a fantastic one can, then the potential for the job (As in, when you are really skilled at it, then you can have a very large impact on the world/people) has a wide range. But a really good janitor.. what can he do? Be slightly faster? That job has very low potential.

With your company idea, you're comparing a single man to an entire staff - If that one owner had never been born, then the company would likely not exist now, because it rests solely on him. If he dies, then there's a good chance the whole company goes into turmoil, or goes bankrupt, or simply just suffers a big setback.
But if a single worker was never born, or dies, it really doesn't matter to the company either way.
The owner has great significance and value to the company, which is the very definition of important. The worker has very little.
I have to say that Count Egor sounds like typical middle management, where I am myself. I promised myself I would never be like that if I got to where I am. One thing I do know. Everyone is a number in work. Everyone can be replaced. Every man / woman has pressure that is relative. Not to their job but to them. I do engineering and architecture work across a broad range (long story) and from my beginning I learnt that the first people you need to get to know in a company are the people who empty the bins and the canteen staff. They know what is going within the company more than management. Please please realize you do your job, can be replaced and in a fully functioning strong matrix organisation (study it please as I have) have specific role but are in no way vital. The same goes for directors once a company has progressed far enough.