Adventure Time & Modern Cartoons In General.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Gxas said:
I watched that pilot a while ago. I absolutely hated it. I did not laugh once and was just angry afterwards at the fact that it was actually being broadcast on television.

Maybe I'm just too old or my sense of humor is fading, but that show is not funny. Nor are any other children's cartoons that I have seen recently.
The Pilot? Yeah, the pilot sucks, though getting angry about it... sheesh.

Later though, it becomes really sarcastic and satirical, happily both using and decontructing tropes in chldren's shows at the same time, and to great effect.

Macabre9037

Jul 2, 2009
Father Time said:
Macabre9037 said:
Phineas and Ferb really might be the best cartoon since the golden age, in my opinion.
When exactly was the golden age?
Well, to me its the era that I grew up watching. So the nineties, basically, I think I'm probably biased though.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE Adventure Time, but I hate Flapjack even more. Oddly enough I love Chowder though. For Adventure Time and Flapjack, it's mostly the animation I hate, but the over all humor to me is pretty lame too. Simpsons lost it for me about 12 seasons ago, Futurama has pretty much always sucked in my eyes, and King of the Hill has been and always will be dreadful.

A few shows that come to mind that I'm more likely to watch:
Archer
Older episodes of Aquateen Hunger Force (it's lost its flare after season 6)
Family Guy (yes, I realize a lot of you are groaning right now, especially after my mention of dislike for Futurama and Simpsons)
Robot Chicken
The Boondocks
Total Drama Island/Action/World Tour
Chowder

I miss the original X-Men series, and even Evolution wasn't bad. Ed, Edd, and Eddy is sorely missed as well.

Ohhi

Nov 13, 2009
I dont like any of the new age cartoons i just dont get what is so funny about them to kids I guess i just lost my childhood at some point because i see no point in them and cant stand how stupid they are making the next generation.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I was unaware that anyone above or even below my age watched cartoons anymore... (15)

Anyways, cartoons nowadays suck even more than before. Last time I watched one was when I was actually young enough that I watched them. Futurama being the one exception if one would ever classify it and other "mature" cartoons among those other dreaded "cartoons".

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I do watch Adventure Time from time to time, and I'd occasionally watch Flapjack and Chowder, but for the most part I prefer the cartoons with a more structured story-line and less random humor.
Venture Brothers is my absolute favorite, with Metalocalypse, Futurama and Young Justice coming in at a close second. Those shows, while having their funny moments, are a bit more serious than the majority of the cartoons on air nowadays.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
I like Super Hero Squad and Young Justice, but I am curious to see the new Thundercats.

Zack McSleuthburger

Feb 3, 2011
There are a few decent or actually good cartoons today.

Too bad the majority of them suck.

Although some things in Adventure Time had me laughing. Such as the hero proudly declaring "We saved that woman using violence!"

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I only enjoyed cartoons back in the 90s, back when cartoon network was actually about cartoons, and there were shows like Thundercats.

templargunman

Oct 23, 2008
Adventure Time was actually originally shown to Nick several years ago, but they turned it down. My personal opinion about cartoons (and I assume this is about children's cartoons because cartoons aimed at adults are still amazing) is that they're too pc. Think about back to the late 1980s to early 1990s, when a large portion of the cartoons were things like Rocco's Modern Life. Does anyone remember that show? That show was fucked up, and it was for children, and that was what was awesome about it, it was immature for adults, but it gave a realistic world view to children while still appealing to them. Cartoons now can't have violence or negative role models, especially as the cartoons get aimed at younger and younger children. We grew up in the golden age of cartoons. Our children are learning morals. MORALS! I don't want my kid to have morals given to him by a cartoon, that's my job, make the cartoons funny and stupid, let me raise my damn child (I don't have a child but if I did, I'd make him/her watch reruns of invader zim and angry beavers).

elcamino41383 said:
Archer
Family Guy (yes, I realize a lot of you are groaning right now, especially after my mention of dislike for Futurama and Simpsons)
Robot Chicken
The Boondocks

I miss the original X-Men series, and even Evolution wasn't bad. Ed, Edd, and Eddy is sorely missed as well.
You like Total Drama Island? I have seen a few episodes of that and it's terrible, god awful, and dreadful all at once. On the other hand Archer is fucking hilarious.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Ice Car said:
I was unaware that anyone above or even below my age watched cartoons anymore... (15)
I only watch mature shows for mature viewers such as myself.

Anyways, cartoons nowadays suck even more than before. Last time I watched one was when I was actually young enough that I watched them. Futurama being the one exception if one would ever classify it and other "mature" cartoons among those other dreaded "cartoons".
Cartoons today are better now that they were seven years ago. Maybe if you sat down and watched some instead of brushing it off because of what you are expected to like based on age, you'd find some decent stuff.

To not watch something because of your disillusioned sense of "maturity" is just an excuse not to give something a chance, which is immature in itself.

Justanothergamer300 said:
The moment they killed Saturday morning cartoons things started going downhill

But maybe people need to stop looking at tv animation and try some internet shows people have more freedom to do what they want on the internet.
Saturday morning cartoons, by the end of the era, was the nadir of the western animation world. I consider its demise a mercy killing.

elcamino41383 said:
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE Adventure Time, but I hate Flapjack even more. Oddly enough I love Chowder though. For Adventure Time and Flapjack, it's mostly the animation I hate, but the over all humor to me is pretty lame too. Simpsons lost it for me about 12 seasons ago, Futurama has pretty much always sucked in my eyes, and King of the Hill has been and always will be dreadful.

Archer
Robot Chicken
The Boondocks
Chowder

Saying that Evolution, Robot Chicken, TDI, and Chowder were good gave you away. You almost had me going saying that Futurama sucked and then praising undiluted shit.

twistedmic said:
I do watch Adventure Time from time to time, and I'd occasionally watch Flapjack and Chowder, but for the most part I prefer the cartoons with a more structured story-line and less random humor.
Venture Brothers is my absolute favorite, with Metalocalypse, Futurama and Young Justice coming in at a close second. Those shows, while having their funny moments, are a bit more serious than the majority of the cartoons on air nowadays.
>Stoner humor bullshit show #18741267541267654781254099209 pushed out by Adult Swim
>Serious

LOL NO

I swear to God you could harness my unleaded rage from this thread to power the world's largest industrial nations for decades to come. I wasn't expecting you guys to have great taste or to hold back praising shows you barely remember small fragments of from 15 years ago, but good Holy Mary Mother of God.

10.0 Best New Mad.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ah, Adventure Time. The western equivalent of Bobobo-bo bo-bobo. Totally random, yet strangely hilarious at the same time. I watched an episode a while back, and I must say, I laughed very hard while watching it, but I find random humor funny, while others hate it. There are other, better cartoons from ages back though, so I do not think one okay new one makes up for all the annoying others that seem to be on television nowadays, compared to the seemingly vast amount of good older ones.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Small Waves said:
Ice Car said:
I only watch mature shows for mature viewers such as myself.

Cartoons today are better now that they were seven years ago. Maybe if you sat down and watched some instead of brushing it off because of what you are expected to like based on age, you'd find some decent stuff.

To not watch something because of your disillusioned sense of "maturity" is just an excuse not to give something a chance, which is immature in itself.
It's not because I think it's immature to watch. It's because the last cartoon I watched or happened to "have" to watch as I wasn't the one holding the remote, those cartoons were absolutely horrible... It was all just the kind of humor (If you could even call it "humor") that befits that of a 5 year old... Nothing I'm interested in. I never bothered to watch cartoons after about 5 different ones I've watched for a short time that were just absolute crap.

Apr 28, 2008
I like it a lot. I think cartoons are getting better. Adventure Time, MAD, and Regular Show are really good, and if Cartoon Network keeps pushing out shows of similar quality, I think thats just great.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
It all just looked like random nonsense at first, but then Abe Lincoln appeared, and I saw that it was GOOD random nonsense.

"Your mind has been transported back in time. And to Mars." And suddenly it all made sense!

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Ice Car said:
It's not because I think it's immature to watch. It's because the last cartoon I watched or happened to "have" to watch as I wasn't the one holding the remote, those cartoons were absolutely horrible... It was all just the kind of humor that befits that of a 5 year old... Nothing I'm interested in.
Yes, a lot of shows are shit, but there's also a lot of great stuff out there. It's not different than any other era of animation. You have to keep an eye out for the rolling stones collecting the most moss, approach hype and acclaim with cautious optimism, and don't judge based on appearance or marketing. Throw away your biases and jump into the pool without testing the water. It should take at least three or four episodes to decide whether or not a show is for you.

After four episodes of the My Little Pony series, and I came to the conclusion that I liked it and freaked out for a few moments, then stopped giving a shit because I liked the writing, characters, art, animation, and humor, and that's all that matters. I also watched the same amount of episodes of MAD, and I think it's the worst thing that has ever been animated in the last 10 years because it's embarrassing for me to watch. It's like having a friend who finds out about memes 3 years too late made into a show and then fires them out in a machine gun fashion and the animation makes the average Newsgrounds cartoon look like The Secret of Kells.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
Small Waves said:
elcamino41383 said:

Archer
Robot Chicken
The Boondocks
Chowder

Saying that Evolution, Robot Chicken, TDI, and Chowder were good gave you away. You almost had me going saying that Futurama sucked and then praising undiluted shit.
I never said I made any sense about it. It's just my taste. I can't explain it and I know it's kind of stupid, but there it is. Futurama has never been funny to me, so yes, in my not so humble opinion, it sucks. It care around the same time Simpsons got stale, so the humor never really appealed to me. And I never said any of those shows were a "favorite" just that I'm more likely to watch.