Advocacy Group Angry That Moms Hate Dead Space 2

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
These commercials actually put me OFF of the game. They're silly and saying that "my mother hates it" due to its violent nature is...very childlike. I purchased the game and I love it, but I don't have to give two shits about what my mom thinks because I can purchase the game on my own anyways.

They'd have done better making an actual commercial instead of playing off of the silly expressions. The game is FAR more then something that "your mother will hate."
I was going to respond, but this post already sums up my thoughts pretty much exactly.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I was under the impression they're aiming at people still living at home - which is basically everyone under 18 and maybe as old as 22 or 23. So they have a 17+ game, and are therefore targetting 17-23 year olds. Seems pretty fail to me. Anyone and everyone who moved out couldn't care less if their mom would approve of the game. Why? Their mom won't see it!!

Also it was just a bad ad. And one of the moms looks like a necromorph.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
I think a better argument could be, "These ads are so stupid they could only appeal to someone without a fully developed brain."

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh for god's sake, it's a funny commercial. Let the games industry make their commercials any way they want...as long as it's not tasteless of course, and just role with it. I loved the reactions of the mothers because it was a real reaction from real people. That's how my mother would've reacted if she saw it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Omgsarge said:
The fact is, Dead Space is not being introduced as a new franchise to the gaming community. Also, nobody is going to buy a $60 game by seeing its box art or ad - they are going to make up their minds by seeing reviews or at least gameplay trailers. The only ones who might buy games purely through ad campaigns are apathetic moms and grandmas - oh wait. They're already being informed it's something they definitely wouldn't like.

You make a good point with ads trying to highlight atmosphere and story aspects. But the problem is, this is less of a gameplay trailer and more about building hype for an anticipated sequel. And the thing is, just like the car commercials, I'm getting a positive vibe of the franchise from the hilarity of the campaign. It's mostly a feel-good trailer, whereas reviews would be the real motivation for purchase.

Which brings me to this question - why would you base your buying decision of a title through an ad? Shouldn't you be basing it off something solid - like Yahtzee's take on it? I know I would. The ad might be funny/not funny, but it ain't a deal-breaker for me either way.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Call me one dimensional, but I just cant wrap my head around a commercial that's inherently funny about a game that's playing on a space station where everyone gets brutally murdered. It's just like advertising a movie about a massacre with a funny add campaign. I guess I'm a little stubborn about that but hey...everybody has different expectations.
I don't base my entire opinion about commercials. I'm no fool. Of course reviews play a much bigger role in deciding if you should buy a game or not. (I wouldn't call Yahtzee's views entirely solid however; he did share my view of Dead Space, though). This commercial just told me which aspect of the game they wanted to highlight to people who are not browsing video game sites all the time. And I don't agree with it. I'll get it when it's 10 Euros on steam.

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Do people actually forget to take a judge of the ages of the mothers they screened? Most of them looked in their late 40's to mid 50's. With that sort of mother age, then of course their kids will obviously be at least of adult age.

Though it did piss me off, 2 days after I got the game was playing multiplayer and heard the "Oh-so-usual-screech-of-the-10-year-old-on-xbox-live" whatever parent bought them the game should be shot....infront of their kids, just a brutal slaying of such a parent whom should never had had children in the first place. Let's see if their kids are then desensitized so much they won't care.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Omgsarge said:
Call me one dimensional, but I just cant wrap my head around a commercial that's inherently funny about a game that's playing on a space station where everyone gets brutally murdered. It's just like advertising a movie about a massacre with a funny add campaign. I guess I'm a little stubborn about that but hey...everybody has different expectations.
I don't base my entire opinion about commercials. I'm no fool. Of course reviews play a much bigger role in deciding if you should buy a game or not. (I wouldn't call Yahtzee's views entirely solid however; he did share my view of Dead Space, though). This commercial just told me which aspect of the game they wanted to highlight to people who are not browsing video game sites all the time. And I don't agree with it. I'll get it when it's 10 Euros on steam.
Thus, each man to his opinion.

But d'ya know the funny thing? I was arguing purely on principals. I never found the ad campaign funny, I don't plan on buying Dead Space, and at the end of the day you're a bigger fan of the franchise than I ever will be. :)

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I am 26 and my Mum hates Deadspace 2

Is it a kick ass ad? Yes.
Is it a little geard to the age group under 17? I think so.
Should it be taken off the air because parents can't figure out how to say no to thier kids? I don't think so.

Good on you EA keep up the awsome advertising. Too bad I don't play any of your games outside of the battlefield series.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
EA: trolls, or epic trolls?

The ads are a massive turn-off for me, but then again I'm not 15. And the advocacy group is right. The problem is, by railing against this they are playing right into EA's hands - "no such thing as bad publicity" and all that.

Also, I can just picture some bloated marketing firm that was sitting on the "yourmomhatesthis.com" domain, gleefully rubbing thir hands that their crappy e-real estate is now going to get some meager traffic because of this shitty ad campaign.

Dark_Lemon

Oct 21, 2008
I just wasn't a fan of the adverts as a whole. I am 23 years old and all I could think of was that it just made the entire thing seem a little childish... and that's not something I want in my Dead Space 2! I like my awesome, violent, sci-fi scare fests childishness-free!

I also found myself instantly thinking of the Soldier of Fortune: Bad Company advertising slogan "Pansy-ass pussies need not apply!"

...Yeah.... way to raise the medium guys.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Akalabeth said:
Senaro said:
Akalabeth said:
Kalezian said:
so, a parental advocacy group is complaining because a commercial is portraying what parents actually think about a game?

did........did we tear a rip in the space-time continuum?
No, a parental advocacy group is complaining because they believe the idea of rebelling against your mother and/or parents is more prevalent in the age group that is supposed to be prohibited from buying this game.

Point being if you're 18, and an adult, you may have moved out of the house or just don't care what your mom thinks of the game so why would the ad be appealing?
Because it's funny, even to orphans.
I wouldn't know, I haven't watched them.
You should at least watch the videos in question before criticizing them. Otherwise you're simply throwing out meaningless words about something you've never seen before.

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
I found the ad mildly humourous, though it certainly didn't make me interested in playing the game. Violence is not a very good selling point, a lesson which Manhunt teaches painfully well.

It certainly seems like an ad campaign that would appeal most to young teens, and just because there are laws to prevent mature content being sold to minors doesn't mean ads targeting them should be allowed to pass without comment. After all, I'm pretty sure there are still Junior High kids who smoke cigarettes.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
I'm with common sense on this one. "YOUR MOM WON'T LIKE THIS" might have impressed me at 12, but I don't really give much thought to what my mom thinks of a game at 27. I think this is along the same lines as a cigarette company using a cartoon character to sell cigarettes. Perhaps not thier intention, but it might be a good idea to tell EA/viceral that they're stupid in writing.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Ahhh EA, we love you and the games you publish and you've all really done a lot to discard your evil corporation label, but you're still all idiots