Age of Conan Goes Free-to-Play

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
im surprised this didnt happen sooner. i liked this game but the community sucked big time. no one wanted to do quests, everyone was either afraid of other players or would spend all their time ganking new players. also the spiders scared me.

i wonder how many people will even be able to play this though. when this game first came out, i had to spend like $600 upgrading my pc

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm downloading it now. I always wanted to try it out, my mate said it was great fun. Now that it's free I have no excuse not to try it.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
So, TF2, WoW, AoC... is another game going F2P every few days now? I could live with that. Which one could be next?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Tried it once and while I liked it, my graphics card didn't and just couldn't display some things correctly. If I got a new card, I'd definitely give it another shot.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Is it me or is everyone hopping onto the "let's make it free now!" bandwagon that Valve started? Mind you, I'm not complaining, but I am curious.

Feb 13, 2008
Android2137 said:
Is it me or is everyone hopping onto the "let's make it free now!" bandwagon that Valve started? Mind you, I'm not complaining, but I am curious.
TBF, it was around a long time before Valve got to it.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Every time I've tried to play I came away liking the game. The lack of auction house access for trial users always pissed me off though. If F2P players don't have access then I wont waste my time. I can't seem to find any info on this on their site either.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Android2137 said:
Yeah but I think he's talking about the fact that after Valve did it,other AAA game developers are doing it too.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Eventually the whole F2P gambit won't be enough and it'll be right back to the arms race of quality and features that they should have been focusing on in the first place. I'm glad that games have the F2P option to avoid fading into the aether, but doesn't anyone else have more confidence in subscription-only games? Personally, I think a game that can survive on subscribers alone is likely a better game than the mass of perpetual going-out-of-business sales that comprise the F2P market. With subs, they have to focus on making the content match the investment; if players don't think they're getting their money's worth, they leave and then the game goes F2P. With F2P games, they only have to be just fun enough to keep people paying for cash shop items. Instead of the launcher advertising in-game or RL community events, they're hocking the latest vanity item. Or maybe that's just Champions Online.

I have no problem with F2P as a concept, but I don't think every game should be expected to cater to people with no money or who avoid subscriptions "on principle" or whatever. That would be like expecting a Porsche to sell at the price of a Kia, saying that "more people would drive it," as if every schlub owning a Porsche was even the goal.

edit: I do realize however that some games are good, but just don't have the market presence or come out at the wrong time. I'm betting some of these typical fantasy MMOs that came out during WoW's reign were probably pretty fun and full-featured, but just had trouble making a splash and getting to that crucial tipping point. I'm not saying every F2P game is bad and every sub-only game is good, I'm just venting and generalizing somewhat to convey my thoughts on this.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
Heh I remember playing this game in it's pvp heyday back during 1.4 good times. Played after the 1.5 patch had some good time's but the game felt like it was on a timer to going f2p and I called it 2 years ago. Just remembering the unique ffa pvp enviroment and the guilds being more akin to a brand then a group of people who play together good times. You guys will enjoy the game it still has some semblance of its fast paced no holds bared roots but it isn't what it use to be.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I remember trying a 14-day trial of it and uninstalling it after the 3rd day. It did not impress me.

Also, Sieges not given to free players? Aren't those like, the main PVP events of the game? Doesn't AoC pride itself with being -the- PvP game? Sounds like a shot in the knee right from the starting line.

SailorShale

Apr 3, 2010
So soon? Err, that means Funcom has no pay-to-play MMORPGs. Are they expecting The Secret World to do that awesome? Makes me kinda nervous actually...

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
25 arse suckling Gigear-bites?! This 7.5 is only for the 1 - 20 content?! Hopefully it'll let me play it when this is done (in another 2 hours, 5 down), and I'll see how it runs on my laptop. Assuming I can get a playable frame rate and a fov that doesn't end at my nipples, I'll play on and if I'm gripped I'll keep it downloading. If it's nothing special or it causes a small fire under my fingers, it's gone.

D4rkLigh7

Feb 12, 2009
Wait...people still play Age of Conan? I remember play at the start and I got bored of it quickly.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
I played it for a while. It is a good game, but it has some inherent flaws that kept it from sticking into mu HD, unlike LotRO.

It is a good F2P ride for those who didn't try it already, though.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
I guess it'll be free to get camped at the spawn point now. Yeah, I'm a little bitter. I wanted to enjoy AoC.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Alphakirby said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Android2137 said:
Yeah but I think he's talking about the fact that after Valve did it,other AAA game developers are doing it too.
Actually, Turbine was really the company that started the free-to-play craze. They made Lord of the Rings Online F2P and suddenly quadrupled their revenue. All of a sudden, tons of other games started jumping on the bandwagon.