Age of Kotick

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Xocrates said:
Samus said:
Cutting up the three acts of a single-player game and selling each at full price.
Et tu, Samus?

Why do people keep insisting on this point? This is bullshit, and you know it.

SC2 is out, we know we didn't get a third of a game as SC2 is indeed pretty damn big for an RTS. Whether or not we'll pay full price for the "sequels" is something we DON'T KNOW, as Blizzard has never been very clear on it though it implied they would probably be priced as expansions.

All Blizzard did was announce 2 expansions in advance. They did nothing that other more well regarded developers hadn't done before.
Actually, no.
They announced a full game, then (after Activision made them their *****), they announced they were splitting it into three games. Does it really matter if other two thirds of the game are full price, or slightly less? (Remember, it's ActiBlizz we're talking about here -you know, the guys that price WoW ExPs HIGHER than the original game- they're gonna be full price).
Also, SC2 is not "pretty damn big for an RTS". It's got a "pretty damn long campaign for an RTS", no LAN, crappy matchmaking system, no lobby, castrated multiplayer units/buildings...oh, and it's got FUCKING FACEBOOK INTEGRATION (the ultimate sin of them all).
Also, the fact that this fuck-you to the consumers happened more then a week ago doesn't mean it's still not exactly as true as when they announced it, their BS excuses about "wanting to develop more content" notwithstanding.

So, before you run to their rescue, remember who they have to bow to.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
No, he really isn't on our side. He's like a vampire, saving you from getting hit by a truck so that he can drag you into the shadows and bleed you dry.
Actually, I was thinking more of the guy who saves you from a beatdown in prison, just so he can take you to his cell and show you how stuff REALLY works there...
Also, about being on the same side as ol' Bob...hey, the Taliban actually were on the same side as me during the Soviet occupation of their country. Didn't agree with them then, don't plan to start now.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
RDubayoo said:
Brotherofwill said:
He really dropped the ball with the IW fiasco, but he made up for it. Guess who they have in place instead of IW now? Bungie. So much for attracting good talent to Activision. Now they can create original, sequel worthy games.
And with a competent CEO, Activision would have IW AND Bungie.

How do you like him now?
I don't like the guy. I hate the guy, but that has nothing to do with what I said earlier. I just doubt he's completely worthless at his job.

...and about the IW/Activision thing: Every conflict has 2 sides. I doubt it was all Kotick's fault just like I doubt that the flower childs of IW didn't have anything to do with it. He fucked up but he redeemed it with the signing of Bungie.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Shamus Young said:
This week John Funk said in his Twitter feed, "Let's be honest here. We could write the news story 'Bobby Kotick Opens Door for Old Lady' and people would *still* be furious with him."
That's because he kicked the old lady through the door for having grandchildren that play videogames, then stole her purse to make a point.

Either way, enjoying article. Getting through all the links took me a while.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
RDubayoo said:
Brotherofwill said:
He really dropped the ball with the IW fiasco, but he made up for it. Guess who they have in place instead of IW now? Bungie. So much for attracting good talent to Activision. Now they can create original, sequel worthy games.
And with a competent CEO, Activision would have IW AND Bungie.

How do you like him now?
I don't like the guy. I hate the guy, but that has nothing to do with what I said earlier. I just doubt he's completely worthless at his job.

...and about the IW/Activision thing: Every conflict has 2 sides. I doubt it was all Kotick's fault just like I doubt that the flower childs of IW didn't have anything to do with it. He fucked up but he redeemed it with the signing of Bungie.
Yes...every conflict DOES indeed have two sides. Just so happens that in this case one side got fucked over and the other one didn't even bother to apply some lube.

Also, if I screw an employee over, hiring a replacement doesn't redeem me in the slightest.
I'm exactly the same dick I was before.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Quaidis said:
Shamus Young said:
This week John Funk said in his Twitter feed, "Let's be honest here. We could write the news story 'Bobby Kotick Opens Door for Old Lady' and people would *still* be furious with him."
That's because he kicked the old lady through the door for having grandchildren that play videogames, then stole her purse to make a point.

Actually, he bought the door, kicked the lady through it, then sued her for property damage, then stole her purse.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I'm afraid I have to disagree massively with you on this article.

1. He should be exceptional at coming up with new business ideas.
Not necessarily. As a CEO he needs to keep a broader view of the entire company and all its parts. It becomes Kotick's job to identify the good ideas, which he should help foster within Activision-Blizzard (AB), and then finds ways to implement then. Kotick is dealing with a huge businesses and it would be almost impossible for him to manage these directly, which is why he would have advisors. This is particularly evident in AB as in the recent interview he even mentions that his only contact with Brutal Legend and its development was through someone else. Granted he should be able to come up with ideas to take the business forward, and I imagine that he played a considerably part in the Activision Vivendi merger, which is why he was elected to CEO of the subsequent merged company. All because we only here about the 'bad' ideas which spawn within AB doesn't mean there aren't good ones. Kotick been a CEO in Activision since 1991 all the way up to it overtaking EA as the largest publisher.

2. He should be good at finding and attracting talent, and at inspiring and motivating his people.
This is not an issue for Activision, as Kotick highlights in the recent Edge interview, Infinity Ward received 5,000 CVs in the last six months. Although the 38 employees that left them was a big blow, there certainty wasn't a shortage to replace them. As a massive publisher with a numerous subsidiary developers they would have the ability to pick from the best of the market, as people would want to work for them, even if it's only for a few years to beef up their CVs. This happened despite all the bad publicity they receive about working conditions.

Looking at the first of companies which Activision bought prior to the big merger, [ur]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision#Current[/url], they bought a load of good studios. Although it is a risk, as it is with any business when buying a external studios, that the culture will clash with that of the acquirer However, Activision are seemingly doing a good job because if they weren't they wouldn't of produced game like Singularity, Prototype, DJ Hero and Blur. Although they may not be the best, they were still decent games with their fans.

In the press side Kotick's ability to motivate people may be a bit lacking, but not being privy to all of Activision's internal memos and emails, I wouldn't dare speculate of what happens and how the structure works. I worked for a big company and it was always funny to see how the press/public perceive your actions.

3. He needs to possess a keen understanding of the gaming industry.
He does. In the Edge review it goes through his history in the market, which was why he was able to make criticisms of EA structure. He could do this from had first hand experience. Again, he was probably instrumental in the merger to create Activision-Blizzard and he also had the knowledge not to mess with Blizzard and its IPs (Starcraft 2 and Cataclysm don't full short of Blizzard traditional standards). He also notes in the Edge interview that Blizzard hasn't increased the subscription since its beginning, something which Kotick could easily do if he wanted.

Yes, he has arguably made lots of gaffs recently, but that doesn't change the fact he has been CEO in Activision since 1991 and then in the merger . You don't last this long by being an idiot and not knowing the market. Again, he would also have advisors, because it would be impossible for him to juggle AB whilst keeping up-to-date on the day-to-day news in the industry.

Remember when Kotick said that, "With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming $100 million plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us."
I interpret this quote differently. To me he saying "we don't green light new IPs unless it has opportunities for sequels." This is not saying "we don't green light new IP FULL STOP." To me, they are merely on the lookout for games which are intended to be created as Trilogies (such as Mass Effect with EA and Gears of War). They don't just want single stand alone games. Also, remember that Activision were the ones that funded Brutal legend's development, although they dropped it because of Schafer's, alleged, inability to meet deadlines, they still took the initial risk on it.

4. He should be skilled at public relations.
To be fair the PR department clearly have an impossible task here. Being one of the few people who seemingly read the entire Edge interview with Kotick, I felt that, overall, he came out of it quite well. It was just that sites would only report what a couple of lines from the interview and out of context. People assumed Kotick was just bad-mouthing people when in reality he was merely responding to questions. Edge brought up his relationship with developers, which prompted the response about Schafer. Edge brought up Infinity Ward, which prompted a response (and I might add we can't be certain about what truly went on here).

But to sum it up, you started with Funk's quote and I'll end on it.

"Let's be honest here. We could write the news story 'Bobby Kotick Opens Door for Old Lady' and people would *still* be furious with him."
It doesn't matter what happens with AB, Kotick has become the face of it and any bad piece bad news or misinterpreted quote always get directed back to him. Rightly or wrongly. We in the general populace are not privy to all his day-to-day functions and can't really make an accurate assessment of him. But we do know he's been the CEO of Activision which, arguably, overtook EA as the largest publisher. You don't achieve that by being an idiot. Any number of incompetent CEO would have destroyed Activision and Blizzard, but both are seemingly prospering right now.

This might be a bit messy because I didn't write the points in order. And, no, I don't work for Activision in case anyone cares.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
erztez said:
Quaidis said:
Shamus Young said:

Actually, he bought the door, kicked the lady through it, then sued her for property damage, then stole her purse.
Ah, that does make more sense than what I heard. But I swore it had something to do with the lady's grandchildren playing video games...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
erztez said:
Actually, no.
They announced a full game, then (after Activision made them their *****), they announced they were splitting it into three games. Does it really matter if other two thirds of the game are full price, or slightly less? (Remember, it's ActiBlizz we're talking about here -you know, the guys that price WoW ExPs HIGHER than the original game- they're gonna be full price).
Also, SC2 is not "pretty damn big for an RTS". It's got a "pretty damn long campaign for an RTS", no LAN, crappy matchmaking system, no lobby, castrated multiplayer units/buildings...oh, and it's got FUCKING FACEBOOK INTEGRATION (the ultimate sin of them all).
Also, the fact that this fuck-you to the consumers happened more then a week ago doesn't mean it's still not exactly as true as when they announced it, their BS excuses about "wanting to develop more content" notwithstanding.

So, before you run to their rescue, remember who they have to bow to.
Adjusting for Inflation, you are paying the same exact amount for content today in Starcraft 2 as you did in 1997 for the original Starcraft and its expansions.

Formula: (The average price of goods has risen approximately 50% since 1997)
So...$40 (original price for Starcraft 1) * 1.5 (150%) = $60
Its expansion was priced around $35 on launch, plus or minus $5 based on retail rates and promotional events (I actually received a $5 return for pre-ordering, and the pre-order didn't cost me anything then. Funny how the world changes like that).

However...

It's when Blizzard started chopping features out of Starcraft 2 entirely (for example, LAN) that the comparable value begins to fall.
Compounding this: The intentions of Bnet 2.0 are insidious at best, the new monetized features are almost completely worthless even in comparison to Warcraft 3's system, and this necessity to be connected to the internet to play skirmishes against the AI on your own fucking computer is beyond paranoid (yes, this was done to fight piracy); it's tasteless.

Were it not for all that, I'd say that those who believe that "Split 1 game into 3!" argument were being closed-minded at best. Sadly, that is not the case. Blizzard is prospering, but I don't think we will ever see the same kind of great quality and value that they used to produce.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Javex said:
I bet Shamus could run the shit out of that company. In a good way.
I know I'm really late on this one, but can the CEO of a major corporation be elected? It's an appointed position by shareholders right? If you appeal to the shareholders, and you're the ones that routinely give them the money they're interested in...

I for one am totally ready to become a Day 1 customer of any game produced by "Shamus Young's Activision"

Can somebody make a "I'd Vote for Shamus" Forum badge/ group?... this needs a little momentum.

Oh and Kotick is just a nice target guys, he's not a disease, just a symptom. Old-school business models (in this case, book publishing I believe) slapped on to an entirely new medium. It's a bad fit since books don't take 10 million bucks and hundreds of people to produce. Until the industry finds its own model this is how it is: It's messy, it's ugly and it's full of people looking to screw us.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So, after he saves our asses at the California "Free Speech" trial, how long until he goes away?

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Adjusting for Inflation, you are paying the same exact amount for content today in Starcraft 2 as you did in 1997 for the original Starcraft and its expansions.

Formula: (The average price of goods has risen approximately 50% since 1997)
So...$40 (original price for Starcraft 1) * 1.5 (150%) = $60
Its expansion was priced around $35 on launch, plus or minus $5 based on retail rates and promotional events (I actually received a $5 return for pre-ordering, and the pre-order didn't cost me anything then. Funny how the world changes like that).
That's absolutely correct, wasn't talking about SC2 though. I was talking about WoW. The expansions for THAT cost more then the goddamn original game...which is frankly retarded, but hey, I'd still take it like the ***** I am if the ExPs(I'm looking at you Cataclysm) were actually any good.
However...

It's when Blizzard started chopping features out of Starcraft 2 entirely (for example, LAN) that the comparable value begins to fall.
Compounding this: The intentions of Bnet 2.0 are insidious at best, the new monetized features are almost completely worthless even in comparison to Warcraft 3's system, and this necessity to be connected to the internet to play skirmishes against the AI on your own fucking computer is beyond paranoid (yes, this was done to fight piracy); it's tasteless.
And the funny fact? It didn't even work. You can play skirmish games just fine on the pirated version, and there's even a LAN mod in the works...
Bnet 2.0 is of the devil, and not in a good way. It is, by far, the most useless piece of bloatware ever to see the darkness of a basement dwellers dungeon. And that's counting M$ Office.

Were it not for all that, I'd say that those who believe that "Split 1 game into 3!" argument were being closed-minded at best. Sadly, that is not the case. Blizzard is prospering, but I don't think we will ever see the same kind of great quality and value that they used to produce.[/quote]

Amen to that, I'd support the split if I knew that Blizzard was actually behind the idea. I'm not so sure about that.(Read: I fucking well know they weren't).

Crunchy English said:
I know I'm really late on this one, but can the CEO of a major corporation be elected? It's an appointed position by shareholders right? If you appeal to the shareholders, and you're the ones that routinely give them the money they're interested in...

I for one am totally ready to become a Day 1 customer of any game produced by "Shamus Young's Activision"

Can somebody make a "I'd Vote for Shamus" Forum badge/ group?... this needs a little momentum.
Thing is, ActiBlizz shareholders don't give a flying fuck about our opinions. What they DO give a fuck about is that most of us still keep forking over our hard(or easy)earned cash for whatever cut-down piece of crap Bob decides to let us have.
Oh and Kotick is just a nice target guys, he's not a disease, just a symptom. Old-school business models (in this case, book publishing I believe) slapped on to an entirely new medium. It's a bad fit since books don't take 10 million bucks and hundreds of people to produce.
Read any Stephanie Myers books lately?:p
Just saying:)
Until the industry finds its own model this is how it is: It's messy, it's ugly and it's full of people looking to screw us.
That's actually a pretty fitting description of the planet Earth right there.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
dathwampeer said:
The one and only problem I have with Kotic is his cut and dry business attitude. When someone as powerful as he (in the industry) decides to set a trend. Everyone and their dog follow it.

Yes I understand this is how money squeezers think. And I actually kind of respect him for vocalising what he's thinking. Most companies are all 'U gaiz iz da bestes. We's dooz whatver u saeys! Coz yous is awesome an maed of candi' When what they really mean is, 'This is a really cheap product and will net us trillions. God were you born in a funny farm you fucking sheep?'

Kotic just say's the second part in public. I respect the little fucker for that.

What I'm pissed off about is that his company ignores fringe indi developers like the fucking plague. And nom's up anyone with a generic FPS idea... Because it's safe.

I understand that it's safe. I understand that from a business perspective that's about as mouth watering Angelina Jolie in spandex with the crotch and nipple areas cut off.

I'd just rather they spend at-least some of their enormous budget on funding some smaller companies with a bit of a different idea.
Hot damn, another chance to use this. What am I at now, like 5?

Ahem.

You have to understand : Indie = risk. FPS = low risk. Lower the risk, lower the return, but theres still going to be a good return.
Lower the risk, longer the life of the company. The company obviously won't prosper, but they won't instantly die out, it'll go rather slowly.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
erztez said:
[
Amen to that, I'd support the split if I knew that Blizzard was actually behind the idea. I'm not so sure about that.(Read: I fucking well know they weren't).

Rage.

Okay, tell me this. Have you played mass effect? Any game with a sequel?

Okay, lets talk mass effect. Would you seriously think it's fair to only pay 60$ for both one and two? The same damn thing applies to starcraft, and almost every sequel. If you played starcraft 2, you know damn well that it's a long game, and isn't easily finished in a single sitting.

And getting angry about removing lan? come on, it's not that big of a deal, and i'm sure it'll be back, along with a plethora of old bnet 1.0 features soon.

xuberfail

Jul 23, 2010
On an almost unrelated note. Where I come from (New Zealand) we *are* charged for shopping bags at the grocery store.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
InterAirplay said:
erztez said:
And you couldn't PAY me to play Guitar Hero, I still think of a guitar as a piece of wood/plastic with metal strings that make sounds while you pluck them.
I will agree with everything else you said, but by christ, I take issue with this one.

Guitar hero, no matter who makes money off of it, is built for a bit of arcade fun. FUN. F. U. N. A bit of multiplayer among friends. Some enjoyable high-score climbing, all while listening to - and using your controller to the beat of - some awesome music. Do you have any arguments against buying it other than "Activision's evil empire will get more money" that are valid? because I'm pretty sure that "feh, well, it's just for losers who can't be arsed playing the real guitar! *snort snort*" Doesn't actually count, considering that... well, it isn't.

But then, what would you know? you never actually played it.
Never said I didn't play it, we all make mistakes when hammered out of our minds.
Never said it's not a fun game(it's not fun for me, but neither's watching American Idol, and we all know people love THAT).
And no, I don't think people playing it are losers, same as I don't think people playing MW2 are losers just because they didn't skip the game, enlist, join the SF and go kick ass in Iraq.
They're games, playing them doesn't make you a loser. Also, I didn't spend 6 years learning to play the guitar to push a few shiny buttons:p

So, to sum up, there's two reasons I don't buy ActiBlizz...
1.)Their games bore me out of my skull
2.)I don't want the pressure of having supported their business model on my conscience.