Agent Carter Blitzes Your Expectations with Misdirection

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agent Carter Blitzes Your Expectations with Misdirection

"The Blitzkrieg Button" sees Agent Carter's story really start to pick up steam while laying the groundwork for some big plot points down the line.

Read Full Article

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
And the ratings drop again to lower than multiple repeats on the same night this is now a dead man walking with ABC now and forever saying that this was an 8 episode mini series never intended to get a second season (unless the ratings were better than awful anyway).

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
And the ratings drop again to lower than multiple repeats on the same night this is now a dead man walking with ABC now and forever saying that this was an 8 episode mini series never intended to get a second season (unless the ratings were better than awful anyway).
There probably won't be a second season, but it's not as if the US ratings are the beginning and end of it. Just like Shield the show has one trump card: international viewership is what matters, since the show is all made in house ABC gets money from licencing it too, not just from advertisement.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
the December King said:
Peggy is capable of 170 one armed pushups? Wow. Is she also a super soldier, like enhanced or something?
I do believe Bob got the number wrong there. If I remember correctly, Stark says it's 107, not 170.

Anyway, I liked this episode. Then again, I've liked all the episodes. I'm enjoying this much more that SHIELD. Looking forward to next week's because the team is getting put back together and thus we get to see Peggy really shine.

I was not on board with the Black Widow theory that people were throwing around. I thought it sounded cool, but I figured there was no way they'd do that. But after this episode, now I'm not so sure. The way she moved looked very familiar. Of course, that could just be the same type of training, but I'm on board with the theory now.

One has to wonder how people like Mink manage to get other people to work for him. He executes his two henchmen for really no reason. They still got the money it looked like. He did it just for the sake of being evil, and I have to wonder how insane you have to be to work for a man like that. Surely eventually he'd run out of willing helpers.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Interesting that Bob went straight for the Abomination theory with the soldiers being ripped apart. Reminds me more of that village where everyone was killed in Agents. I figure they will try and tie Agent Carter into the Inhumans plot of Agents of Shield somehow

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
the December King said:
Peggy is capable of 170 one armed pushups? Wow. Is she also a super soldier, like enhanced or something?
I do believe Bob got the number wrong there. If I remember correctly, Stark says it's 107, not 170.

Anyway, I liked this episode. Then again, I've liked all the episodes. I'm enjoying this much more that SHIELD. Looking forward to next week's because the team is getting put back together and thus we get to see Peggy really shine.

I was not on board with the Black Widow theory that people were throwing around. I thought it sounded cool, but I figured there was no way they'd do that. But after this episode, now I'm not so sure. The way she moved looked very familiar. Of course, that could just be the same type of training, but I'm on board with the theory now.

One has to wonder how people like Mink manage to get other people to work for him. He executes his two henchmen for really no reason. They still got the money it looked like. He did it just for the sake of being evil, and I have to wonder how insane you have to be to work for a man like that. Surely eventually he'd run out of willing helpers.
Yeah... pretty sure that Peggy's neighbor will turn out to be another product of the Red Room, not Widow herself. Now, that redheaded child we got a glimpse of in the teaser for next week's episode (which takes place in Russia)? THAT could be a different story. :)

Of course, Blondie could easily be Yelena, and they just pulled a predecessor/successor swap on us.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
the December King said:
Fair enough, but hat's still a superhuman effort of one-armed pushups, though!

Or is it? Hmmm...

Oh, hang on... just looked at the numbers- world record for pushups and such: http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html. I guess, while still strong, Peggy is not necessarily superhuman.

You know, I don't know why this caught my attention so much... I guess it's because I could only manage 120 pushups at my best when I was like 20, and I don't even remember trying a one armed pushup back then!

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Zontar said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
There probably won't be a second season, but it's not as if the US ratings are the beginning and end of it. Just like Shield the show has one trump card: international viewership is what matters, since the show is all made in house ABC gets money from licencing it too, not just from advertisement.
Please name me a show on OTA broadcast TV in it's 1st or 2nd year that was saved by 'international' viewership?

Shows in there 3rd year (if they have a full 3 season order) get an automatic 4th season renewal for syndication.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
Zontar said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Please name me a show on OTA broadcast TV in it's 1st or 2nd year that was saved by 'international' viewership?

Shows in there 3rd year (if they have a full 3 season order) get an automatic 4th season renewal for syndication.
Well I think Agents may qualify given the level of viewership it had at the end, though like Carter it is a special case. Most shows made in the US don't care for international viewership, which to them is only icing on the cake. But in the case of Agent Carter and Agents of Shield there isn't a dependency on domestic viewership for one simple reason: it's all in house. While most shows are made by one studio and broadcast by another, ABC is the one both making and broadcasting the series (Marvel and ABC are part of the same corporate family, the house of mouse). While most broadcasters only make their money off the advertising, ABC gets it from both domestic advertisement and from international licencing. This means that the 2 million Canadians, million Australians, 3 million Brits and 10 million mainland Europeans who watch the series all are counted, even if not at the same value as American viewers (the foreign broadcasters are the ones making the ad money off the licences after all).

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
The absolute ratings don't matter as much as a show's ratings against other shows on the same network. Carter is beating Revenge, Resurrection and Forever in hour-long scripted shows. Also working in it's favor is that ABC owns the show, which makes it cheaper to produce. Right now I'd put it on the bubble, depending on what ABC has in the pipeline for development and how much room they need.

I wouldn't characterize Thompson as a meathead. He's too good of an interrogator for that. He came this ][ close to breaking Jarvis and would have if Peggy hadn't intervened. He's an ass to be sure, but a good investigator and gave Sousa props for finding the bum after mocking him twice earlier in the episode.

And it wasn't beer, it was Scotch that he gave the bum. Chief Dooley's Scotch, no less.

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
Given that this show is, unlike "Agents," actually produced by Marvel's cinematic crew, I don't know why I was so surprised at the Stan Lee cameo last night, but it cracked me up.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
I was almost expecting a "Police Squad" type Stan Lee cameo in the shoe-shining scene.

I think they're setting up Thompson & Sousa teamup or at least mutual respect for each other's abilities by the end of the season. Thompson is the direct approach guy, and knows how to crack suspects but gets distracted by the "big target". Sousa is the one who thinks outside the box and is methodical, but doesn't really have people skills.

Sniper Team 4 said:
It seemed like he had another goal in mind that they failed to accomplish. The money was just the excuse? I think he was trying to draw Stark out (which Stark then foiled by smuggling himself).

Hunter Grant

Aug 27, 2013
My guess, the Leviathan group are incomplete super soldiers. An early experiment before going full on with an american subject, or just a Russian offshoot of the project. They stole from Stark because they need a sample of Captain America blood to fix problems and maladies they are suffering. They may try to tempt Sousa with an opportunity to fix his leg should he help them. Interesting the actor for Sousa was the young cop in Avengers. If not that, then the Russians were killed by an Inhuman or two and they are going to tie it to the current plot of SHIELD.