Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is Building Up to Something... But What?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is Building Up to Something... But What?

This week's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is packed with both action and plot.

Read Full Article

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
This episode was a lot of fun. I really like Mockingbird and think the team's going to be a lot more interesting with her around.

vid87

May 17, 2010
-I'm not overly fond of Raina right now. "You're acting just like when I first took you in..." ANOTHER orphan/stray/dependent lacky storyline?

-I'm not familiar with Mockingbird (kind've wished they would've name-dropped at least once) so I wasn't sure where they were going with her and her being a *second* mole did throw me for a loop even if I was already aware she's a good guy. Didn't really like the bellhop suit though.

-Speaking of Palacki: Disney actually seems to be flipping the bird to *both* its rivals - "Hey everyone, we've got Wonder Woman on one show and Mr. Fantastic on the one after! Suck it!"

-I almost felt sorry for the sad-sack Simmons framed for sending the Shield messages and actually had to remind myself that it was ok since he openly endorsed genocide not long ago.

-I wonder if making Fitz bi would be another curveball like May and Ward coming out of nowhere and upending audience predications?

-I like the Hyde/Quake idea (even if Quake sounds a bit lame overall) and I'm still ok with High Evolutionary/Spiderwoman, just as long as it's not the Hulks. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see them, but as I've said before retconning here would be a massive waste of potential.

-Really hating the "Won't listen to Ward" stalling: "I have information that will advance the plot and wrap up a lot of loos--" "NOPE!"

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Ugh.. People, get off the Fitz being Gay bandwagon. His projection of Simmons would respond exactly as he thinks Simmons would. He thinks Simmons would comment on his physique, so of course the imaginary version of her would act in kind. It has nothing to do with his inclinations.

People were also disappointed in their reuniting scene. I think it was done perfectly. Awkward, full of trepidation. Simmons knows his feelings for her, thinks he's still broken. He -knows- he's broken, and has been living with his image of her for a while. It's gonna be weird..

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Ok, it seems everybody saw the twist with the other mole coming, except for me.
I thought up to the last second it would be a trick to get Simmons to admit stuff about SHIELD.
They have these holographic facemasks, after all....

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I really hope Bob's prediction for Simmons is correct since otherwise, her entire story of being inside Hydra was pointless and simply an excuse to have Fitz go to a much darker place. Still, this was definitely the best episode of the season for me. Skye's dad is sufficiently creepy.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Adrianne Palicki's Agent Bobbi Morse joins the team (after some fun but utterly-unconvincing misdirection where she appears to be a HYDRA Agent)"

Maybe if you'd seen/heard about her character's name etc. before, but I was genuinely surprised they played her straight.
Kept expecting her to be a fake, and Trip in the plane (which HYDRA has a ton of, right?) could be wearing a Winter Soldier face mask.

Also I wondered if SHE would remove the mask and prove to be... Black Widow. But she's too expensive/busy for a cameo/role I guess.
The way she ends the fight looks to be the same stance as BW took on in ... Iron Man 2? Or some other movie. So either that's not a signature move, the choreochrapher was lazy or it's "A standard high level SHIELD fighting move!".

What also played into my HYDRA tricking Simmons theory was the fact that the stealth jet flew away for a long time... in plain sight.

What REALLLLLLLY sucked was;
Super hacker Skye: maybe block all radiowaves so Raina cannot send her text message thing?!!!
SHIELD: Why don't you detect the wireless signal going from the camera's to Dr.'s iPad? Or block all signals so no one can get videofeed from inside BEFORE you all walk in there NO SKI MASKS ON!!!
Raina: Why not show the kill switch thing on your hand(?) to Coulson?!!! He'd be very inclined to let Fitz take a look at least.
I don't think it's a tracker btw, didn't he say it was just a kill switch? He wanted The Obelisk, not caring were Raina went to get it. If she delivers it... just threaten her life some more so she gets you MORE stuff?

Overall: Great ep!

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Hiramas said:
Ok, it seems everybody saw the twist with the other mole coming, except for me.
I thought up to the last second it would be a trick to get Simmons to admit stuff about SHIELD.
They have these holographic facemasks, after all....
Ditto. I kept assuming she was trying to "out" Simmons, and was setting up a fake escape as a way to test her. Because up until the rooftop she only clobbered guards, you never even see her take out the "boss", so until she actually shot that one guy I was kept wondering if she was for real or if this was all an elaborate setup.

Unless this was an extra elaborate setup, to get Simmons back to SHIELD after mind control... But that seems extra convoluted, and they haven't done a plot twisty-twist like that yet. Just twists.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
jabrwock said:
Because up until the rooftop she only clobbered guards, you never even see her take out the "boss", so until she actually shot that one guy I was kept wondering if she was for real or if this was all an elaborate setup.

Unless this was an extra elaborate setup, to get Simmons back to SHIELD after mind control... But that seems extra convoluted, and they haven't done a plot twisty-twist like that yet. Just twists.
Yeah, the Boss thing caught me too. Either it was a continuity error or something "twisty" is going on.

Captcha "Double-cross" How do you know????

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
As far as the double cross goes... Wasn't Bobbi subjected to the compliance machine in an earlier episode? If so, that means Shield just let a compromised double agent into their headquarters under the assumption she was a trustworthy agent.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Yeah, I don't believe Agent Cooper Skye's dad is seriously going to cooperate with HYDRA. It remains to be seen what his secret agenda is, though.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sylocat said:
Yeah, I don't believe Agent Cooper Skye's dad is seriously going to cooperate with HYDRA. It remains to be seen what his secret agenda is, though.
I think he just wants his daughter back. However, as we saw, he's not entirely, um...there, shall we say? Right now, Skye sees him as a monster and he doesn't like that. Thus, he blames Coulson and S.H.I.E.L.D and, it true crazy fashion, has decided to team up with their worst enemy to make them all suffer for turning his daughter against him. When he turns on HYDRA is going to be epic I bet.

I see I'm not the only one who instantly picked up on the possibility of Simmons being a new sleeper agent, but I really hope that's not the case. If it is, the torture she endured most of have been horrific. We saw what they did to a tough girl like Agent 33. Simmons is not that tough. Still, I suppose it would give Fitz purpose and it would also allow them to find a way to unbrainwash everyone else.

A little sad about what next week's episode is going to be. A lot more innocent people are going to be killed. I don't like it when people who are just doing their job or in the wrong place at the wrong time are killed, like this episode's opening.

Captcha: It happens.
Oh ha ha. You're so funny internet...

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Is anyone else hoping that Skye's dad is actually a still possessed Agent Cooper and we are going to get the upcoming Twin Peaks miniseries crossed over with the MCU?

Anyone? ...*sigh* I'll just start writing the fanfic then I guess.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
nekoali said:
As far as the double cross goes... Wasn't Bobbi subjected to the compliance machine in an earlier episode? If so, that means Shield just let a compromised double agent into their headquarters under the assumption she was a trustworthy agent.
No, that was [url+http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Agent_33]Agent 33[/url].

Although, it's still unclear how Bobbi got into HYDRA in the first place. When she initially approached Simmons, she made the very astute point that Simmons never had any loyalty to HYDRA before The Winter Soldier. I doubt that HYDRA would make someone who never displayed such loyalty before a chief of security. Let alone at the office where a Head of HYDRA works. There's a huge gap between when she divorced Hunter and when Coulson recruited her for SHIELD 2.0. So, unless next week there's a discussion between her and Lance to handwave where she's been, there is a possibility that she's compromised. Or even HYDRA.

Or a Skrull [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingbird_(Marvel_Comics)#Avengers_West_Coast].

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
I really hope Bob's prediction for Simmons is correct since otherwise, her entire story of being inside Hydra was pointless and simply an excuse to have Fitz go to a much darker place. Still, this was definitely the best episode of the season for me. Skye's dad is sufficiently creepy.
Mockingbird stole her hard drive when they escaped with all of her Hydra research. It wasn't a complete loss.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
spoonybard.hahs said:
nekoali said:
No, that was [url+http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Agent_33]Agent 33[/url].

Although, it's still unclear how Bobbi got into HYDRA in the first place. When she initially approached Simmons, she made the very astute point that Simmons never had any loyalty to HYDRA before The Winter Soldier. I doubt that HYDRA would make someone who never displayed such loyalty before a chief of security. Let alone at the office where a Head of HYDRA works. There's a huge gap between when she divorced Hunter and when Coulson recruited her for SHIELD 2.0. So, unless next week there's a discussion between her and Lance to handwave where she's been, there is a possibility that she's compromised. Or even HYDRA.

Or a Skrull [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingbird_(Marvel_Comics)#Avengers_West_Coast].
We never saw Mockingbird actually fight the Hydra #2 guy in the hallway. It wouldn't surprise me at al if he gave her the, "Comply blah blah blah" trigger phrase and sent her into Shield to infiltrate.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
spoonybard.hahs said:
nekoali said:

Hydra still operates in cells, right? I assumed Bobbi was given a falsified Hydra background for her cover. Assuming Hydra is indeed in cells, it stands to reason that a Hydra higher-up can be somebody that a given cell is not familiar with.

That, or it's a cheap way to progress the plot that falls apart under minor scrutiny.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
I agree with you Bob, since most all of last season I've assumed Skye was Inhuman. I desperately hope Kyle Mclaughlin is Maximus Boltagon.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
revjor said:
RedDeadFred said:
Mockingbird stole her hard drive when they escaped with all of her Hydra research. It wasn't a complete loss.
I know, but that just seems like it's going to be a lazy plot device in the future. I'm imagining them having some issue, and then they'll just go to her research and find an answer. I'm just hoping for something more than an easy way to write the team out of certain situations.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't know if I want superhero codenames in the SHIELD team. I know she has been part of SHIELD for a while in the comics, and her presence is not necessarily out of place (considering there are other agents outside the series named Hawkeye and ; but I think I like more when SHIELD is a bunch of normal badasses than if they start identifying them with superhero names and costumes. In fact, I think Mockingbird joining the team is probably a sign that she will betray them soon enough (probably with the brainwashing machine) and they will to put her down.