Air Force Might Be Troubled by PS3 "Other OS" Removal

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Seems like the Air Force buying 2000 PS3s, and other groups buying similar numbers for doing cluster computing, would be real bad for Sony. There's a reason why they're so cost-effective for that purpose: as we all know, console manufacturers sell their hardware for less than it costs to produce, and recoup their losses with inflated software prices - and the Air Force ain't buying any games.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
What I don't get is why they used clusters of gaming consoles in lieu of a super computer.
Cheaper, I'd imagine.

OT: Wait, so the Air Force can't ask for dev units? Why the hell not? Wouldn't that serve as a useful workaround for this whole absolutely-blown-out-of-proportion, overreacted, not-very-important-at-all issue?

Also, if the PS3 hasn't been hacked already, either nobody cares to hack it, or those trying are doing a very useless job at it.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Awesome! One day companies might realise how anti-consumer it is to make us 'sign' end user agreements simply when we open the box and BEFORE we can actually READ the end user agreement.

Oh, we can take the item back ... but it's open ... so no refund in most countries. Try telling a store that you want a refund because you don't agree with the EULA! Good luck!

And EULA or not, changing advertised, and much TOUTED, specs and features after sale, especially when any disagreeing owners will have the goods held at ransom, shows blantant disrespect for consumers. It is as if these companies feel that after all the brainwashing and making us dependent, they can now treat us like cattle.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The shit has just hit the fan. If Sony's doesn't do something to rectify this, there may be...problems.

The Air Force is NOT someone who you want to get into a fight with.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
I could see a corporate deal made. Still screw consumers, but help out the big Gov.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
I'm backing the USAF on this one. Although, Japan are pretty tooled up technology wise, it could go either way....

Ahaaa, still Sony, when the USAF says it's 'dissapointed' in what you have done, it's actually part of a larger sentence. That being "We are dissapointed by what you have done because the result of your action, with be thermonuclear carpet bombings."

Sorry Sony, you could have picked on France or somewhere, but nooo......

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I sure hope 80% of these are sarcastic comments, cause really people, this is a non-issue. It's better PR more than anything. Under all of our noses the USAF have been using PS3's for processing power and research of things we can't even fathom yet. You would think the USAF would much rather try to make the Xbox work or buy an extremely expensive super computer rather than resort to a Japanese entertainment system!

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Right now, Paul's 3 PS3s seem like nothing compared to the USAF's 2000+
Goddamm ninjas! I salute you sir.

On Topic: I have a feeling that Sony may have some exceptions to their new "no other OS" rule...

Also, how will Paul install linux on his PS3s? LRR humour will prevail!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
So while the government tells everyone that games are bad because they turn children into psychotic killers, the US military is using game consoles to power their research? Oh god. The irony is so delicious *om nom nom*

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
The way I see it, I think someone else already mentioned it, is that Sony made a lot of promises about the PS3 that they later went back on. They advertise it as doing pretty much everything when the truth is that there's a lot it can't do (like be affordable to the working poor, which a lot of Americans are whether they know it or not, although that's less of an issue with lowered prices)... My point is that Sony stated their console would be made a certain way, then they went back on their word later on and changed it.

Now I don't know if it was talked about BEFORE or AFTER the console came out (the changing of the OS option), but if it came out afterwards, than yeah the USAF has something to be pissed off about. It's not that they can't just do it themselves (and may well be doing so already), it is more about the fact that you can't just start changing things willy-nilly and expect to get away with it. Sales, profits, popularity... for a company like Sony (and Nintendo) it is a very important thing.

It also points towards Sony trying to find ways to keep the hackers at bay when I've said before they should just stop trying, it's not going to happen. The Wii's been cracked since almost day one, and I know that people have done interesting things with the Xbox and possibly the 360, as well.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I think we'll see a behind-the-scenes agreement from SCEA that they'll provide the USAF with customized PS3s for a slightly higher cost that have the Other OS option.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
What would happend if they had made (if they could) a cluster with 360's :p

Why did they tried to save money buying a ps3s instead of a supercomputer? arent they the fucking military?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
That muffled crack and subsequent screaming is the sound of a jack-ass shooting himself in the foot with a *very* large calibre round...

But as has been stated very early on in this thread, I'm sure Sony aren't stupid enough to piss away all that business from the US Air Force.

I see there's very little on what the hell the USAF were doing with the PS3's in the first place.... Oh, well. Back to the conspiracy theory board.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Sony makes a loss on each console, instead getting profits from game sales, peripherals, and other things. I'm sure for PR purposes Sony will work something out for the USAF though.