Alan Turing Receives Royal Pardon For Homosexuality Conviction

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
At first I thought, "huh, cool." Then, when reading the official reasoning, and how rare pardons are when the deceased person *was completely, obviously guilty* (regardless of how fucked up the law was at that time), I became more and more convinced that this was not actually a good choice.

He is, in essence, receiving a pardon just because he was a good help to the war effort, and I think that it is a terrible precedent. Imagine a kiddie-diddler/serial rapist being pardoned because he was a famous singer, or a President getting away with committing war crim- oh wait. That does actually happen here (with R. Kelly, and Clinton/Bush/Obama, respectively). So then my case is even stronger: This IS a terrible precedent, if it ever ends up tied into celebrity fame like it is in the US. That his 'crime' should never have been a crime changes little, since the law is not meant to give favoritism towards famous people over commoners.

In addition, I think that pardoning someone after their death is a poor symbolic gesture unless, as the British government said, the man was actually innocent, which in this case, he was not. Unless it's applied all-or-nothing, this case harms more than it helps.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Longstreet said:
Election time coming up over there or something?
Yeah the Queen is really hoping she gets a large share of the vote this year/sarcasm.

Lunar Templar said:
wow ... that was a crime? really? I have no words for how utterly detestable that is.
Many american states had anti homosexual laws until 2003

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
Wow, so it took like 60-some years for the Queen to pardon him?

GG government, also hiding it behind flimsy excuses such as "it was illegal at the time" is bollocks, as at those times, on the other side of the world, it was also acceptable to institutionalize witch hunts under the veil of patriotism and "doing right by your countreh".

Fuck, the amount of stuff that Turing had done for England and the World deserved a pardon in the late 80's at the latest.
To be fair, how would you feel if someone who had stabbed a child in his house got pardoned years later because "yeah, its legal now".

I mean its all well and good going "yeah, this is good, he clearly wasn't in the wrong" but the problem is he's not in the wrong now. He was in the past and inevitably in the future it will be "wrong" again.

E: Hell, look at russia right now, who think its wrong. Your morals might scream its ok, but that doesn't mean the integrity of the law should be shaken just because. I admit, I am happy to see him pardoned, but it does bring the question of the laws solidarity into question.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dogstile said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

GG government, also hiding it behind flimsy excuses such as "it was illegal at the time" is bollocks, as at those times, on the other side of the world, it was also acceptable to institutionalize witch hunts under the veil of patriotism and "doing right by your countreh".

Fuck, the amount of stuff that Turing had done for England and the World deserved a pardon in the late 80's at the latest.
To be fair, how would you feel if someone who had stabbed a child in his house got pardoned years later because "yeah, its legal now".

I mean its all well and good going "yeah, this is good, he clearly wasn't in the wrong" but the problem is he's not in the wrong now. He was in the past and inevitably in the future it will be "wrong" again.
It's sexual preference, and it was at a time when the state was still somewhat influenced by religion.

Also it has been legal for a loooong while now.

I'm not saying that they should've immediately pardoned him after sentencing, as yes, I understand, relative to context, but 60 years for forced castration is a bit long.

30-40 years is somewhat drawn out, but still not as silly as about 3/5 of a lifetime, and ideally when he should've been pardoned.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
Dogstile said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

It's sexual preference, and it was at a time when the state was still somewhat influenced by religion.

Also it has been legal for a loooong while now.

I'm not saying that they should've immediately pardoned him after sentencing, as yes, I understand, relative to context, but 60 years for forced castration is a bit long.

30-40 years is somewhat drawn out, but still not as silly as about 3/5 of a lifetime, and ideally when he should've been pardoned.
You're preaching to the choir. I know it was bullshit, doesn't mean I like the idea pardoning everyone who committed a previous crime which isn't a crime now, regardless of crime.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
He doesn't deserve a pardon. He was a homosexual and his deeds don't change anything. Giving him a pardon implies that in some way the law was justified and that he was in fact, a criminal. What about all the other convicted homosexuals? Do they get a pardon or are they not important enough.
good point
though in someway i pardon is at least something. Then again i don't think their will ever be a way to make this right.