Alan Turing Receives Royal Pardon For Homosexuality Conviction

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alan Turing Receives Royal Pardon For Homosexuality Conviction

Alan Turing, the legendary Second World War cryptanalyst who was convicted of the crime of homosexuality in 1952, has been granted a posthumous pardon by the Queen.

There's no question that Alan Turing's work leading the successful effort to crack Germany's Enigma code during the Second World War saved countless lives, but he was also an extremely influential early pioneer in the field of computer science, and the "Turing Test" he devised in 1950 remains relevant in the field of artificial intelligence to this day. He was also homosexual, which was very sadly a crime in Britain until 1967, and that led to his arrest in 1952 after a fight with a former lover. He opted for chemical castration over a prison sentence but committed suicide two years later.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown offered a formal apology for Turing's treatment in 2009 but in 2012 the British government refused to issue a pardon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115706-The-Father-of-Computer-Science-is-Still-a-Criminal], saying that it would be inappropriate to pardon someone who was "properly convicted of what at the time was a criminal offense."

Yesterday, however, Turing was granted a royal pardon by Queen Elizabeth II. "Dr Alan Turing was an exceptional man with a brilliant mind," U.K. Minister of Justice Chris Grayling said. "Turing deserves to be remembered and recognized for his fantastic contribution to the war effort and his legacy to science. A pardon from the Queen is a fitting tribute to an exceptional man."

Royal pardons are normally granted only when a person has been found innocent of the convicted offense and a request for pardon has been made by a family member, neither of which occurred in Turing's case. A Ministry of Justice representative explained, "Uniquely on this occasion a pardon has been issued without either requirement having been met, reflecting the exceptional nature of Alan Turing's achievements."

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/10536246/Alan-Turing-granted-Royal-pardon-by-the-Queen.html]

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown offered a formal apology for Turing's treatment in 2009 but in 2012 the British government refused to issue a pardon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115706-The-Father-of-Computer-Science-is-Still-a-Criminal], saying that it would be inappropriate to pardon someone who was "properly convicted of what at the time was a criminal offense."
Isn't saying "eh, fuck what the law says, he's an OK guy in my book" literally the entire point of pardons? I'm pretty sure it isn't based on the notion that the queen, prime minister, or president is better at spotting a false conviction than every single judge the case has been appealed to.

Dec 14, 2009
About fucking time.

This man deserves schools named after him, statues built in his honour.

The way he was treated was a fucking disgrace.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
If there's one thing the British Empire is known for, it's timeliness. The only entity that works faster in the Vatican.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Didn't Turing kill himself with a poison apple?

Side note: I had always suspected that the Turing Test wasn't so much a concept of telling human from machine, but a man from a woman.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Okay, next for some posthumous medals or some other actual honours beyond "pardoned for being born". If you're going for platitudes, at least make them something "valuable".

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
This shouldn't have happened, plain and simple.
I find it insulting, just because Turing was a large help in the war he alone gets a pardon? It's like saying "It's a good thing you were so smart, because if you weren't prosecuting you for being homosexual is still ok" I find this detestable.

Turing was special but not in this way, he was just one of the thousands who were given the choice of chemical castration or jail and not a one of them was guilty.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
BigTuk said:
Yeah, at this point I think it must have been a slow news day for this to make news. I mean it's been over 40 years since homosexuality was a crime in britain. I think this is less a sincere amends and more just someone trying to get their name in a news article by mentioning someone famous.
Absolutely wrong. He was one of the primary unsung heroes of World War II, and a major reason why the field of computer science is the way it is today. Without him, we might be decades behind where we are. Given the work he did for his country, his conviction was a travesty, and I'm glad to see him pardoned, even if the many others convicted under the statute likely won't get the same.

Also, the Queen is just trying to get her name in the news? Really?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Zacharious-khan said:
This shouldn't have happened, plain and simple.
I find it insulting, just because Turing was a large help in the war he alone gets a pardon? It's like saying "It's a good thing you were so smart, because if you weren't prosecuting you for being homosexual is still ok" I find this detestable.

Turing was special but not in this way, he was just one of the thousands who were given the choice of chemical castration or jail and not a one of them was guilty.
The reason why Turning was arrested because he was at Cambridge in 1930s with Bruges, Philby, Maclean and Blunt. All of whom were gay or bisexual and soviet spies. Turning was know to be gay for at least a decade before his arrest and action was only taken after the Cambridge 4 were unmasked as spies.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
albino boo said:
The reason why Turning was arrested because he was at Cambridge in 1930s with Bruges, Philby, Maclean and Blunt. All of whom were gay or bisexual and soviet spies. Turning was know to be gay for at least a decade before his arrest and action was only taken after the Cambridge 4 were unmasked as spies.
No he wasn't, Turing was arrested after his house was broken into and during the investigation he admitted to having a sexual relationship with his male housemate.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Zacharious-khan said:
albino boo said:
No he wasn't, Turing was arrested after his house was broken into and during the investigation he admitted to having a sexual relationship with his male housemate.
So why did MI5 know he was gay in the 1940s and did nothing. Its not like the security services can stage a breaking or anything.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
He doesn't deserve a pardon. He was a homosexual and his deeds don't change anything. Giving him a pardon implies that in some way the law was justified and that he was in fact, a criminal. What about all the other convicted homosexuals? Do they get a pardon or are they not important enough.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
albino boo said:
So why did MI5 know he was gay in the 1940s and did nothing. Its not like the security services can stage a breaking or anything.
You're entering serious conspiracy theory territory, and Turing's boyfriend knew the burglars so this really probably wasn't an MI5 sting operation.