Alan Wake Actually Sold Quite Well

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
D Moness said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Ultimately, this just reinforced my notion that most gamers are shit.
Yeah a lot of people scream they ant something new/different and when something different gets released it just gets ignored. In the end they do complain all the games are the same. There are just a lot of hypocrites in the world.

It is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.
Now, if that happens to Xenoblade, then we'll really know there's no justice in the world.

OT: Don't have a console, didn't even know a PC version was in the works. Still, that does kind of suck for Remedy, and I can totally sympathise (British spelling, problem?)

ThirdPrize

May 14, 2009
So they sold 330k which was "half the story", that means they must have given away a similar amount of copies as well. But over a million people pirated it. That is still not selling many copies is it? I think thats whats known as a lose/lose situation all round.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
It's good to hear that Alan Wake sold better than first thought, but it's still shit that the game didn't do better for Remedy. Those guys are too talented to deserve such an apathetic response.

Ultimately, this just reinforced my notion that most gamers are shit.

"Yay, there's a new game coming from the writers/developers of Max Payne that manages to marry action gameplay with strong survival horror trappings and briliantly suspenseful storytelling, while also including top of the line graphical presentation and a genuine willingness to experiment with new ideas... fuck it, I'll buy Call Of Duty/Assassin's Creed/Bad Company 2 instead."

Games like Alan Wake are the reason that the industry focuses so much on cashcow franchises and sequelitis. Every once in a while, a developer tries to create a new game with interesting gameplay, great storytelling and new ideas, and it gets ignored at launch for the latest iteration of Warshooter Alienmurdersim XXV instead. Gamers keep lamenting about the lack of original, new games released, yet continue to ignore the genuinely innovative titles that are released.
thats not just games..thats ALL forms of entertainment

Im not saying its right..BUT please dont insult me for not purchasing a certain game, mabye some gamers didnt find it quite as "amazing" as you did

people buy thease well selling series because games are expensive and they more or less know what they will be getting, its a certain amount of reliability (and in regards to assasins creed, its no call of duty, there is a story going on)

and somtimes the games that do stuff differently get noticed, or cult fanbases at least...remember a little game called assasins creed?

and you know I could say the exact same thing about skyrim. its ANOTHER elder scrolls game, same bland typical fantasy setting, same tired gameplay...ohh right, its not a shooter, so therefore is exempt from criticism

so yes I see your point, but please take your insults elsewhere

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Pirates chose to pirate Alan Wake and Dante's Inferno most? Come on, really? I'm not for piracy in any way, but at least have the decency to pirate big titles like MW2 or the tenth freaking Mario game this year, opposed to sticking the proverbial boot up the ass of smaller developers.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Fawxy said:
More on topic, I hope Alan Wake gets a sequel. Damn good game.
They recently released a teaser for the game for the Spike GOTY awards.

Something about a motel. I think it's taking place in a desert.

Edit: Reading through the comments and barely anyone mentioned anything about the sequel being developed...

I know I can't be the only person who saw this thing.

Yeah... this thing
Right? Unless it's teasing for the award it might get. But that didn't come out this year, did it?

I'm not in the Twilight Zone am I?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Vault101 said:
thats not just games..thats ALL forms of entertainment

Im not saying its right..BUT please dont insult me for not purchasing a certain game, mabye some gamers didnt find it quite as "amazing" as you did

people buy thease well selling series because games are expensive and they more or less know what they will be getting, its a certain amount of reliability (and in regards to assasins creed, its no call of duty, there is a story going on)
Firstly, Assassin's Creed and Call Of Duty both have ongoing stories. You may not like the story in Modern Warfare, but you can't claim that a game doesn't have a story just because you don't like said story. That's exactly the hyperbolic attitude which causes so many problems in the first place.

Second, you are perfectly free to buy whatever games you want. What annoys me is when gamers repeatedly buy the latest yearly installment at the expense of buying something more original, then complain that publishers aren't releasing enough original games.

Look at the new Rayman game. Sure, Rayman is an established series, but Origins is the first game in well over a decade to go back to Rayman's 2D platforming roots. The visuals are absolutely top notch, the gameplay superb, the soundtrack incredible... and it was directed by Michael Ancel, the man who directed Beyond Good and Evil, a game that everyone likes to hold up as an example of unloved genius. Reviews everywhere are praising it as one of the absolute best platformers this generation, and a work of demented genius. You'd think this would guarantee gamers going out in their droves to support one of the industry's top talents, right?

Nope. The game's tanked. According to VGCHartz, across all platforms it's sold about 10,000 copies. Internationally.

That's pretty much sunk any chances for a new Rayman game, and has probably left Ancel and his team in a worse position creatively than they were in before.

and somtimes the games that do stuff differently get noticed, or cult fanbases at least...remember a little game called assasins creed?
Why yes, I do remember Assassin's Creed. I believe I mentioned it in the very post you quoted. Are you talking about the same Assassin's Creed, which has been milked for four iterations already and has got a fifth one on the way next year? I'd hardly call an annually updated AAA franchise a 'cult' hit.

and you know I could say the exact same thing about skyrim. its ANOTHER elder scrolls game, same bland typical fantasy setting, same tired gameplay...ohh right, its not a shooter, so therefore is exempt from criticism
Where did I anywhere mention Skyrim? Who are you to assume how I feel about the game when I haven't once mentioned it? Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what you could say about Skyrim. I personally haven't picked it up yet, simply because it seems to be the same os Oblivion, only a bit more polished. I didn't really dig Morrowind or Oblivion, so I don't see the need to pick up Skyrim.

Now if you'll kindly stop trying to put words in my mouth.
1. I dont think you can blame ONLY gamers..it goes both ways,,kind of like asking if DRM or piracy is the bigger problem, they both seem to compliment each other

2. as for rayman....well I guess most "core" gamers arnt interested in 2D platformers..unfortunatly just like many great games It will be considered good but not a big seller, you can blame the people for it I guess...

3. my point about assasins creed was that it STARTED as somthign very different and even inovative at the time...and now its done the usual thing with sucess...became a big name for better or worse

4. I know you didnt mention skyrim...but its painfully obvious that games like modern warfare or RAGE are going to get criticized for being "brown and shooty" and "same old"..and as I said I can say many similar things about skyrim...but that gets a free pass because its skyrim

my point is the whole "anit brown shooty" thing is getting really OLD,

and no that probably wasnt your point..I SEE your point, BUT my main problem is you insulting everyone who care to call themselfs a gamer...I see it the same as me saying "all PC gamers are fucking pirates"

seaquels or not the line-up this year has been great

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
leet_x1337 said:
Now, if that happens to Xenoblade, then we'll really know there's no justice in the world.
I can see it happening unfortunately.For all the talk of the "Operation Rainfall" crowd how many copies is a hardcore JRPG realistically going to sell on Wii outside of Japan?

OT:I loved Alan Wake and wish it had been a bigger success but I think the timing of the release didn't help.Didn't they release it like a week before Red Dead Redemption one of the most highly anticipated games that year?

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Hexenwolf said:
D Moness said:
Such a shame for an interesting game. Yeah it isn't a great game but it was really fun to play. One of the few games i bought the deluxe version of and never regretted it.

To bad the low sales meant it killed the franchise.
Oxymoron much?

Not really , just because i love the game it doesn't mean it is a great game(looks at Wet that i really enjoy). I can see the flaws the game has and a good developer would looks at the flaws and try to fix them if the get the chance to make a second game.

Enemies when they hit you , more often then not can combo you(taking out a lot of health). Aiming/shooting your weapon wasn't always that simple. Near the end all the running around the forests do get a bit repetitive.

Also is it me or did the difficulty got knocked up in the first special. It is giving me much more trouble then the normal chapters

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
That's good to hear about Alan Wake, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, especially the mechanics, but I'm glad they aren't making a sequel! It struck me as the type of thing a sequel would just spoil... Like Donnie Darko...!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Space Jawa said:
Kopikatsu said:
Space Jawa said:
So the game was copied and downloaded somewhere between more than and nearly as much as it was actually purchased?

Huh. Oh well, I'm sure it's safe to assume that nobody was actually hurt in any way by all that digital bootlegging. <___<
Did you see the source? =x

Apparently PC games are pirated 4x as often as console games. Who woulda thunk it.
What source are you talking about?
http://torrentfreak.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-most-pirated-game-of-2010-101228/

That one.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
Baresark said:
The problem for me is that if you give people a copy of the game, you can't really consider it a sold copy. Also, people may have not bought the system for the Alan Wake game at all, but for the Forza 3 game.

The problem is that there is no way to turn this into a metric for how much Alan Wake sold. And... for 5 years of development time, that is still shit numbers. They only put 1 year into each COD at this point and it sells exponentially better.
It really doesn't matter how or why they bought it, it was still bought so it counts as a purchase. They're not going to go back and discredit the sales from people who bought a copy to give to someone else, are they?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I picked up a copy. It's not too bad really and they did a great job on messing with your head, wondering what was real or not. Original story idea too. It'd be a shame if there was no sequel.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Monoochrom said:
1. The big ''Innovation''...ha ha ha ha ha...see the thing is, being different isn't enough, you also have to be good. Alan Wake failed for multiple reasons:

- Xbox Exclusive, any Dev who does Plattform exclusive can go choke on a dick as far as I'm concerned. No, I don't care that they are owned by Microsoft.
This makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. Microsoft paid for and published the game for their Microsoft platform. Are you saying the makers of Halo, Gears of War, God of War, Uncharted, Infamous, and every Nintendo game ever made are failures that deserve your scorn?

Monoochrom said:
- Unless you are Blizzard or Valve you don't get to take half a decade for a new IP. Seriously, do you think Half-Life 3 has any chance whatsoever of living up to hype and expectations at this point? Because if you do, you need a reality check. Max Payne is ok and everything, but it wasn't good enough to give them that kind of rep.
You've played Max Payne 3? You must tell me where, because I heard the game isn't even out yet.

Also curious why you give Blizzard and Valve a pass... Nintendo does the same thing. Many of their original IPs were years in the making, from Animal Crossing to Pikmin to even Zelda. Halo began its life as a third-person strategy game on Macintosh computers years before it was snatched up by Microsoft. Final Fantasy VII was worked on for years on prototype N64 hardware before being moved to the Playstation. I hear those games turned out great.

Monoochrom said:
- Games are about Gameplay, if that isn't up to par, you fail. Thats how simple it is. You can go on and on about the ''amazing'' storytelling, but that is pretty much entirely subjective and not the actual core of games.
Gameplay can be subjective too. I know some people LOVE the battle system of Final Fantasy XIII; I'm not one of those people. Some people love the old tank controls of old Resident Evil games, while I don't. Inversely, I heard some people criticize the controls of Alice: Madness Returns, and I found it to be one of the most responsive platformers ever.

That said, an amazing story DOES go a long way. A movie can have great editing, great casting, great music, great special effects, and a bad story, and it can be a bad movie; but a movie with a lot of problems, and a good story, can survive as a good movie on its narrative. In a lot of ways, so can a good game. Silent Hill 2 doesn't have the best gameplay, but it's story, characters, and world are so worth the price of a playthrough.

Monoochrom said:
3. About Rayman...well, what should that tell the Devs?

- Don't be a dumbass and release your little 2D Plattformer at a time where actual AAA Games are duking it out. That should have been fucking obvious. A 2D Plattformer is something you play to kill Time, it isn't a Timesink like Skyrim, it's more along the lines of Angry Birds, something you play, not because it's just so awesome, but because it's better then doing nothing and you currently don't have access to the big games. This looks like the kind of Game that should be on Cellphones, a Arcade Titel, not a major release. So, in other words, pure marketing and design fail.
And I bet you haven't played this game at all, yet you assume so much about it. Hate to tell you, but Rayman Origins isn't a "little" game. It's quite long (certainly longer than Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Halo: Anniversary Edition, and even Uncharted 3). Just because Skyrim is the longest game ever made doesn't mean any game that is not 400+ hours isn't worth playing; the notion of "quality versus quantity" could be kept in mind. Rayman Origins is absolutely NOTHING like Angry Birds; and if you stopped talking nonsense and played five minutes of the game, you'd see, without a doubt, the most lush, animated, fluid, and fun platformer in years that could only exist on next-gen systems.

Monoochrom said:
- Understand that you killed Rayman a long time ago. Rabbids were just the last straw that threw him entirely into obscurity. Kind of like Gex and Crash Bandicoot, nobody gives a shit about those anymore either.
Rayman hasn't appeared in a Rabbids game in nearly a decade, and Rabbids aren't even in this game, unless there's some cameo I missed. That's like complaining that Mario was "killed" because he was in all those Mario Party games with Waluigi.

Monoochrom said:
- Pretty much every Game is ''critically acclaimed'', fuck, I'm sure some would give Microsoft Excel a 8/10. So, critically acclaimed means nothing.
Over 40 different journalists from all walks of life, different tastes in games, and different standards of gaming, awarded the game extremely high praise... while that doesn't mean YOU'LL like the game, you might as well toss out the system entirely if you don't think a critical consensus matters. And I don't think they gave Duke Nukem Forever much praise, despite all the hype that game got...

Monoochrom said:
- If you want to sell, your game needs real exposure, I'm willing to bet with you that most people don't know it exists and that even most Gamers won't be able to say much about it.
And how would you go about it? I've seen commercials on this website, on the internet, TV, in gaming ads and magazines, it's been talked about and scored highly in the gaming press... what have they done that, say, Saints Row 3 hasn't done?

Monoochrom said:
- People seemingly just plain aren't too interested in your 2D Plattformer...that's what we have Indies for ;)
Oh yes, like the little indie developers that made Super Mario 3D Land... Seriously, what does it matter if they're indie or not? A good game from a good developer is a good game from a good developer. I know I was interested, and I bet if more people played the damn game themselves they'd be interested too... maybe YOU should play the game; it might change your mind since you're talking about a game you very likely know little to nothing about and haven't tried out yourself.[/quote]

Monoochrom said:
Game Devs and Publishers are full of shit. Also, I never played Beyond Good and Evil, so I simply don't care.
You can get Beyond Good & Evil real cheap on XBL and PSN. As a gamer of 25 years, I can attest that BG&E is one of the greatest games ever made, an imaginative blend of adventure, combat, stealth, puzzle-solving, character development, story, atmosphere, emotion and beauty, diversity, treasure hunting, investigation, racing, shooting, drama, and pure gaming joy. It's one of the best games to exist with some of the best characters to exist and if you don't care about Beyond Good & Evil, it's simply because you never bothered to give it a chance in the first place... because I've rarely met a soul that didn't walk away from that game and go "wow, that was incredible."

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Wow, now I feel like shit for borrowing it from a friend. I didn't know it had the reputation of a flop. Otherwise, I would've bought it. :\