Alan Wake II

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Alan Wake: Remastered will be available to PS+ Extra subscribers on July 4.
I am currently subscribed to that so I'll have the opportunity to play it. Whether I will or not will depend on what else I got going on, but I probably will.

I tried playing the original on my laptop but it didn't really work well and I got annoyed and quit halfway through then watched the rest on youtube but didn't really pay attention. Then listened to Nick Colandra play some of it on his stream. So I kind of now what happens.
General consensus on the game is mixed with criticisms of the actual combat/gameplay but I would think the remaster helps with that?

Anyway- Alan Wake is the kind of thing where I like the idea of it but question the execution. So it'll be interesting to see where the sequel goes. They seem to be leaning hard into a pure "horror game" vibe which makes sense since that is a popular genre but it's not one I like usually.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
General consensus on the game is mixed with criticisms of the actual combat/gameplay but I would think the remaster helps with that?
We've seriously reached the point where 80% is considered mixed? Fucking hell...poor developers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We've seriously reached the point where 80% is considered mixed? Fucking hell...poor developers.
I wouldn't go that far on "mixed". There are some flaws with the combat, and while can get repetitive in some regard, the shooting still holds up well. While the game didn't get the best nor worst reception during it's initial release, Alan Wake came out during a time where grim dark cover shooters were all the rage. So that's where some of the "mixed reception" came from at the time. Years of build up, and the game being ported to PC, changed the opinion of many that finally gave it chance, and those that were stuck on cover shooter syndrome actually played the game, and realized: hey, you can a make fun 3rd person shooter and not be constantly in cover! Notice how Alan Wake is still here, yet all of those wannabe Gears nor COD clones never made it pass the PS3 or 360.

I will say that the main problem with Alan Wake are the open driving sections. Certain ones in late chapters go on for way too long, and would have been better off removed and made just as cut-scenes. Another thing @Old_Hunter_77, the Remastered version is based off the PC port, so the difficulties got switched. Normal became Easy, and Hard became Normal, etc. So expect a difficulty increase, if you played the 360 version originally. You did say you played the game on laptop, so you might already be familiar with the increased difficulty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nox

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can see where Sam is coming from, but sometimes it's best not to wait that long. I'm just happy they're finally releasing the game this year.

This isn't a bad thing, but my main issue was the driving sections. Hopefully, they've axed those.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Played Alan Wake when it was free on PS+ last month and really enjoyed it. Good vibe and gameplay. Was a good decision to put it on Plus, because I wasn't previously interested in #2 but now I'm quite hyped.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
@hanselthecaretaker2, @Silvanus, @PsychedelicDiamond, and @Old_Hunter_77: Gameplay without any commentary for those interested.

I like Saga’s section more than Jake Wake’s in terms of both combat and the investigation stuff. I think the slow motion flare attacks that Wake uses are what made me less interested in the first one. Just seems too excessive, especially if it’s a basis for his combat.

What would make me want to play more is if Saga was the main character and Wake was more like a pencil pusher that she collaborates with to solve the game’s mysteries.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Played Alan Wake when it was free on PS+ last month and really enjoyed it. Good vibe and gameplay. Was a good decision to put it on Plus, because I wasn't previously interested in #2 but now I'm quite hyped.
I think it’s the only game I got on Epic’s platform when they did free stuff (or if they still do? Idk). Haven’t played it though. This new one looks more interesting from the gameplay trailer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like Saga’s section more than Jake Wake’s in terms of both combat and the investigation stuff. I think the slow motion flare attacks that Wake uses are what made me less interested in the first one. Just seems too excessive, especially if it’s a basis for his combat.
I did notice with his flare attack in this installment, they toned down the slow motion by a lot. Usually a slow-motion happened is when you do a perfect dodge (which Saga and Wake can do), or if you killed 3 or more enemies with a flare, flare gun, or flash bang in the original. Saga's being a bit more action focused, while still being scary, makes more sense due to being a trained federal agent. While Wake gets more light-based tools and weaponry, with him being more familiar with the Taken. I'm excited for both characters' gameplay and story. They do meet up with each other at some point.

What would make me want to play more is if Saga was the main character and Wake was more like a pencil pusher that she collaborates with to solve the game’s mysteries.
The good news is that you can select at the start or continue however you want with either character. Remedy made a statement about this. Ex., You play as Saga for three chapters, but then decide to start Wake's side of the story and vice versa. It's pretty clear both play an important role, but it's more than likely obvious this is still Alan's story.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The hype and pre-release for this game is pretty interesting. It is the most "I don't know what this game is going to be" of the year,

I mean we know it's gonna have two protagonists and lean into the "survival horror" and there is gameplay footage, I'm not saying the game is a mystery. I just feel like this game is trying to do something that may or may not succeed, or anything in between, so it's interesting.

This is a game like Baldur's Gate 3 where I'll be enjoying it vicariously, watching and reading about others playing it, but I don't have the patience for it, just don't like the survival horror shooting things in the dark gameplay loop. But the idea of doing investigations sometimes and then being in an interactive David Lynch movie the other times is pretty rad, actually.

And Remedy is such a mixed bag for me in that I thought Control was the bomb but didn't really like anything else of theirs I tried including the first Alan Wake.

I think this could be a GOTY contender- IF the story and pace holds up throughout. As of now I am predicting that it will come out and the initial reaction will be extremely positive, as the game's promise and visuals and world-building will be intriguing. But what happens halfway through the game, will it hold up? Will the gameplay get tedious or the story stop making any sense (or on the other hand maybe it doesn't make sense but in a good way, which would be my kind of thing).

As of now this game is kind of a wild card and that is fun.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm, i was interested in it. Now i am wresting a bit with myself: Do i get myself a damn Epic account for this? (If the reviews are ok)

I mean, i liked all of Remedy's games (Except Quantum break - that didn't work with me somehow), but i don't like Tencent (or exclusivity in all its forms)

So... maybe pirate it, and anonymously sent 50$ to Remedy? (i kid)

Also: Hey just saw that Remedy is publicly traded. I think i might just put a little money into it for a short invest (I feel the hype-train brewing) But i don't expect so much in sales without taking it online on more platforms (Steam, independent sales)

Also what is it with Remedy and their deals (This time it seems that the game was really financed/produced by Epic. But before that: X-Box timed exclusive, Microsoft online Deals. Epic timed exclusive. Man... just put the games out there. (Yeah, i am sure there always is a Reason (maybe... MONEY?... but still)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The hype and pre-release for this game is pretty interesting. It is the most "I don't know what this game is going to be" of the year,

I mean we know it's gonna have two protagonists and lean into the "survival horror" and there is gameplay footage, I'm not saying the game is a mystery. I just feel like this game is trying to do something that may or may not succeed, or anything in between, so it's interesting.

This is a game like Baldur's Gate 3 where I'll be enjoying it vicariously, watching and reading about others playing it, but I don't have the patience for it, just don't like the survival horror shooting things in the dark gameplay loop. But the idea of doing investigations sometimes and then being in an interactive David Lynch movie the other times is pretty rad, actually.

And Remedy is such a mixed bag for me in that I thought Control was the bomb but didn't really like anything else of theirs I tried including the first Alan Wake.

I think this could be a GOTY contender- IF the story and pace holds up throughout. As of now I am predicting that it will come out and the initial reaction will be extremely positive, as the game's promise and visuals and world-building will be intriguing. But what happens halfway through the game, will it hold up? Will the gameplay get tedious or the story stop making any sense (or on the other hand maybe it doesn't make sense but in a good way, which would be my kind of thing).

As of now this game is kind of a wild card and that is fun.
I already made an Alan Wake II thread.

Can the modders just merge his thread into mine? That way it doesn't get redundant. I got all the preview and impressive videos up already. When the game comes out I'll post as many reviews as possible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hm, i was interested in it. Now i am wresting a bit with myself: Do i get myself a damn Epic account for this? (If the reviews are ok)

I mean, i liked all of Remedy's games (Except Quantum break - that didn't work with me somehow), but i don't like Tencent (or exclusivity in all its forms)

So... maybe pirate it, and anonymously sent 50$ to Remedy? (i kid)

Also: Hey just saw that Remedy is publicly traded. I think i might just put a little money into it for a short invest (I feel the hype-train brewing) But i don't expect so much in sales without taking it online on more platforms (Steam, independent sales)

Also what is it with Remedy and their deals (This time it seems that the game was really financed/produced by Epic. But before that: X-Box timed exclusive, Microsoft online Deals. Epic timed exclusive. Man... just put the games out there. (Yeah, i am sure there always is a Reason (maybe... MONEY?... but still)
The game is available on all platforms aside from Switch & Steam. I'm getting the PS5 version. I won't be able to play it immediately, cuz I'll be out of town for half the weekend.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Sorry I did a search for 'Alan Wake 2' not 'Alan Wake II' so yeah we can just ignore the thread I made and continue hear.

Baldino's vid art pretty much sums up my point- "it seems great." Hopefully it is. It's real interesting either way.