Alchohol and you

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin.
While I am not be religious but I just love this quote. And also, I don't drink that often, when I do it is responsibly with friends.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I dont drink ... i tried it when i was a teenager but just could never get into it.. and i dont even need it as a Social Lubricant because im already social and bubbly when sober so... yea. Im tired of people constantly asking WHY DONT YOU DRINK? though.. like its some crime that i dont drink alcohol.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Vault101 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I've kinda come full circle. It has stopped being fun. As for why it's sad to drink alone? Theres a certain wall you hit, after it stops being fun, where you're clicking through youtube videos at 3 am in the morning amongst your empty cans and taco bell wrappers wondering "where the fuck is my life going?"

EDIT: Have you played Max Payne 3? That's when drinking alone starts to become sad.
ehh.....I don;t see whats so sad about that
Life is sad, hell when you boil life down to it's essence the entire thing is nothing but a struggle ending in death, when you are drunk and alone, hell when I'm alone and sober, there is eventually this point when that fact becomes incredibly clear, and you either wither a little inside, and find yourself truly more lost than you ever have been before, and the loneliness starts to feel more real than ever, the walls close in, and you feel like "this is it, this is all life is."...

At least that's how it is for me... Of course, for me due to struggling with extremely strong depression since I was very young, every day seems harder than the last, and if I don't drown myself in booze, lose myself in a haze of pot smoke, or surround myself with music or people constantly I find myself consumed by a soul crushing dread, it's like nothing matters, I just want to curl up and die, but I know I can't, I refuse to just die, people have invested so much in me not dying, I can't not pay them back, but I know that it doesn't stop the pain, so the dread grows more, the realization that I don't even have an out, that I will force myself to suffer until something else kills me, so I tempt fate, I drink heavily, maybe I won't wake up one of these times... I just hope my friends can forgive my selfishness...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I didn't drink until college and then I drank only when I wasn't doing anything the next day and I drank a lot. Lots of great parties, great fights, and bad decisions. Now I don't party any more so I don't drink very much.

I'm more of a party drunk... social drinking just isn't my thing. Though social drinking events are a great way to get opportunities. So I generally sip on a glass all night and wait for the higher ups to get drunk.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
I see a lot of people complain about the taste of alcohol. From my experience, most alcoholic drinks are something you need to develop an acquired taste for. It'll take drinking a few glasses of wine over time, or having several glasses of whiskey (not in one night). Few people taste an alcoholic drink and enjoy it the first time.

You might ask why bother getting used to a taste when you can just have a glass of coke and enjoy it from the first time. Well once you've acquired the taste for alcohol, you get to enjoy an enormous array of different beverages, many with complex depth of flavour. There's a reason it's so popular beyond just getting pissed.

If you're someone who hates the taste, but aren't averse to the idea of drinking, just keep trying. For years I hated wine, but once I tried it a couple more times I really started to enjoy the taste.

May 17, 2010
I drink by myself. Nothin is better then after a hard day of work, coming back home and having a nice cold beer. Especially in summer. I tend not to get drunk by myself.

At parties I will drink, it's good fun and I enjoy it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
When I drink...I get drunk, thus I'm quite untrustworthy to take into a pub for a "quick" pint, as not only do I drink like a fish, I've found I'm very good at coercing everyone else into getting pretty drunk. Overall though, I'm an organized waster, I always make sure all my affairs are in order in good time, thus I have lots of time to be a waster.

It's the people that don't "get" getting drunk that wierd me out, fair enough if you don't like it, but I'm not sure what there isn't to get.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm Irish....what the hell do you think? ^_^

Seriously though, I didn't start drinking until I was 18. I was at a friends birthday and to say I was press-ganged into trying that bottle of Miller wouldn't be wrong but I actually enjoyed the drink. Before that I had this stigma regarding alcohol, mainly due to growing up with my Dad coming home from the pub either pissed drunk and shouting at everyone, or not coming home at all(How cliché right?). Looking back on it nowadays though, I can't really hold it against him. To say he was going through some hard times would be a serious understatement.

Anyways, after I tried that first bottle and I didn't immediately die or vomit or turn into a raging alcoholic I began to think that maybe alcohol isn't as bad as I was making it out to be. I tend to only drink with friends on a night out, my drink of choice varies from Jack Daniels, Jack and Coke or Miller depending on my mood. Do I drink too much? Sometimes I tend to overdo it alright, a couple of weeks ago I was at a friends party and had an entire bottle of Bushmills to myself, the results were....interesting. Funny yet interesting.

As for the drinking alone thing, I think that the problem is when people hear "drinking alone at home" they think of crying into a bottle of vodka or whiskey or something like that rather than a glass or two. Hell, I used to believe that myself until I started having the odd can of Strongbow with dinner or when I'm playing some games.

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
If I could find something I didn't immediately spit out, I wouldn't mind a drink now and then: a beer with the guys, glass of wine at dinner, champagne at a wedding, etc

My problem with alcohol is more with the people that drink it than the actual substance itself. In high school (and even now in college) people would brag about blacking out and not remembering anything, all while swearing it was the most fun thing ever....how is that fun? How is it awesome that you don't remember anything? Oh sure, YOU getting shitfaced while I remain sober is pretty funny, but only because I get to watch the stupid shit you do

"What did I do last night? I blacked out"

"Well first you told your girlfriend to fuck off and you had 'found a better rack', then you took a dump in the neighbors flower pots, then you called your new ex-girlfriend and argued with her, and then you took some drunk girl to the hot tub, threw up in the hot tub and passed out. I had to fish you out of there before you drowned. You're welcome"

But then that person will just be like "HEY GUIZE! I GOT SO WASTED LAST NIGHT I ALMOST DROWNED! HOW AWESOME IS THAT? HOW AWESOME AM I?"

It pisses me off that I'll go to a friends house and if they're between the age of 18 and 30 (which they all are), there will literally be nothing to drink that isn't alcoholic unless I get water out of the sink. Even worse still, some of them will have barely any room left in their fridge and/or freezer for any sort of food. It's ridiculous. But this has become the standard. If your idea of "fun" does NOT involve pouring Bicardi 151 down your gullet every friday just because it's fucking friday, then you're not worth anyone's time or energy unless you can provide some type of service

THAT is my attitude towards alcohol. I drink every now and then, I try new drinks to see if I like them (I think 99% of them taste like shit personally), but I absolutely REFUSE to believe that this type of lifestyle is "fun" and it disgusts me that this is how (I'll un-educatedly guess) 80% of the population spends their free time

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
capper42 said:
I see a lot of people complain about the taste of alcohol. From my experience, most alcoholic drinks are something you need to develop an acquired taste for. It'll take drinking a few glasses of wine over time, or having several glasses of whiskey (not in one night). Few people taste an alcoholic drink and enjoy it the first time.

If you're someone who hates the taste, but aren't averse to the idea of drinking, just keep trying. For years I hated wine, but once I tried it a couple more times I really started to enjoy the taste.
dog gets used to being hung too. just because you can get used does not mean you like it. and "suddenly liking it" is a sign of addiction if anything.

It pisses me off that I'll go to a friends house and if they're between the age of 18 and 30 (which they all are), there will literally be nothing to drink that isn't alcoholic unless I get water out of the sink.
i found a solution to this problem: carry your own non-acoholic drink and hide it well so they cant find it when their drunk. this really works.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Due to my strange inability to get hungover easily, I like to rub it in to my friends by getting really drunk, waking up the next day fine and telling them all to liven up.

I'm a beer man.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
I love a night out, I don't like getting legless though. I enjoy getting to that "confident" zone.

I generally drink White wine, Vodka and Captain Morgans.
A few minor changes and you have my answer.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
Techno Squidgy said:
due to a dark child hood and now adolescence i have developed alot of issues of them being massive anxiety i dont trust anything , and if i were to be on a drug like that, i may not be able to trust myself, and that scares the sh** out of me

along with the fact that a drug can alter a persons state of mind that much scares the shite out of me,
Hmm. Fair enough I guess. I'm not going to pretend to understand, as I personally do not fear altered states of consciousness and in fact quite enjoy it.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I used to drink, and dont think that drinking is bad.
I do think that drinking can break down barriers and bond people.
However, for me I dont enjoy it as much anymore because I have so much to do and so little time making it impossible to waste time being drunk and chilling out.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I don't object to it or anything, I enjoy a few bottles of strawberry cider on the rare occasion. I have been drunk before, a few times in fact, I didn't find it all that exciting, I didn't find wild manic parties all that exciting either. I'm not the party type, but I really did give it a go. Then I was once told I was boring for drinking but not puking up drinks with the others and was told I was boring for not smoking and doing drugs. Now I will only drink whenever the rare occasion to buy one small bottle of strawberry cider arises. I'm also not capable of getting a hangover. No matter how much I drink or what I drink, I'm perfectly fine the next day.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Strazdas said:
capper42 said:

dog gets used to being hung too. just because you can get used does not mean you like it. and "suddenly liking it" is a sign of addiction if anything.
I never said you'd suddenly like it? I said you develop taste over time. Alcohol has quite a strange and unique taste, that definitely takes some getting used to. No, getting used to something does not necessarily mean you like it, but it doesn't mean you can't like it.