Alec Baldwin Involved in Fatal Shooting On Set of Rust

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, those. Sure, they aren't movie killing or anything, just noticeable once I'd been told where to look.

It's like how after I learnt about muzzle and trigger discipline, I keep noticing it (or it's lack) in films. Trigger discipline would be so easy to portray right, just extend on finger about 2cm, but no, so often done wrong.
One of the best shows I remember of late for good trigger/muzzle discipline, carry, and positioning, is actually the Punisher Netflix show. The folks you'd expect to be good carriers are, the ones you wouldn't...well, aren't. Bernthal really learned his shit for that show, his handling is pretty impeccable.

Could start a whole thread about knowing too much so that it can impact your enjoyment of movies...
Yeah, I was going to do a whole rant about that and muzzle flash, what muzzle flash actually is, why it's near impossible to catch on film, and the ludicrous lengths film producers take to capture flashes on film. Just to put this "visual fidelity" argument to bed once and for all. On the set of Scarface, the crew literally modified firearm props with electronic synchronization devices to ensure they only fired when the shutter was open.

When I say ludicrous, I mean ludicrous.

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Perhaps unsurprisingly, this video turned up in my recommended feed. (I've been subscribed to the channel for years.) This should give a fair bit of insight into how weapons are adapted to fire blanks, the dangers of using them, and so on.

Reactions: BrawlMan

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
One of the best shows I remember of late for good trigger/muzzle discipline, carry, and positioning, is actually the Punisher Netflix show. The folks you'd expect to be good carriers are, the ones you wouldn't...well, aren't. Bernthal really learned his shit for that show, his handling is pretty impeccable.

Yeah, I was going to do a whole rant about that and muzzle flash, what muzzle flash actually is, why it's near impossible to catch on film, and the ludicrous lengths film producers take to capture flashes on film. Just to put this "visual fidelity" argument to bed once and for all. On the set of Scarface, the crew literally modified firearm props with electronic synchronization devices to ensure they only fired when the shutter was open.

When I say ludicrous, I mean ludicrous.
My question is, if you know that movies don't use muzzle flashes accurate to real guns, why even bring up something that's trying to simulate realism?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
My question is, if you know that movies don't use muzzle flashes accurate to real guns, why even bring up something that's trying to simulate realism?
My question is, who was arguing that the kinds of muzzle flashes we see in movies are realistic? Put what argument to bed?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
My question is, who was arguing that the kinds of muzzle flashes we see in movies are realistic? Put what argument to bed?
Excuse me while I look back at pages 3-5 of this very thread...

It looks good on camera, which is enough of a reason for many filmmakers to keep doing it.
As to the hypothetical dummy guns that look like real ones and provide recoil and muzzle flash, I'd have to get ahold of one and play with it. Does it look and act right in every situation? In haze? In dramatic lighting? I actually don't know.
If the conversion kits you are talking about disable the mechanisms and effects of the gun that the filmmakers wish to film, then they still can't replace guns that can shoot.
In addition to all those shots of bullets being chambered, there are so many other things you need to be able to film at times. Sometimes it really helps to see the recoil, smoke, muzzle flash (if the filmmakers choose that aesthetic) and the ejection of the casing. Most filmmakes just aren't gonna be able to make it all look that nice in post-production. I can see lighting the surroundings according to the muzzle flash being difficult too.
Simulating that does not necessarily make what is to be expected to be a muzzle flash in all conditions, lighting and haze can change things greatly. Like I said, I'd have to see one in action and in scenes.
If the conversion kits you are talking about disable the mechanisms and effects of the gun that the filmmakers wish to film, then they still can't replace guns that can shoot.
In addition to all those shots of bullets being chambered, there are so many other things you need to be able to film at times. Sometimes it really helps to see the recoil, smoke, muzzle flash (if the filmmakers choose that aesthetic) and the ejection of the casing. Most filmmakes just aren't gonna be able to make it all look that nice in post-production. I can see lighting the surroundings according to the muzzle flash being difficult too.
It's an art, though I'm more familiar with the sound side of things. I have heard enough lighting guys ***** about things though.
That argument? The "we need real guns to simulate real gunfire, so it looks good on camera" argument, when the reality is those very aspects of firearm use, are so difficult to capture on camera, and look so bad when they are captured, that Hollywood has to undertake very specific, very costly, very elaborate, and very risky measures that involves modifying the firearm anyways, using overcharged pyrotechnic rounds anyways, and all to simulate them anyways.

Been telling y'all this for four pages.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

That argument? The "we need real guns to simulate real gunfire, so it looks good on camera" argument, when the reality is those very aspects of firearm use, are so difficult to capture on camera, and look so bad when they are captured, that Hollywood has to undertake very specific, very costly, very elaborate, and very risky measures that involves modifying the firearm anyways, using overcharged pyrotechnic rounds anyways, and all to simulate them anyways.

In what you quoted there, I also said, "if the filmmakers choose that aesthetic," referring to muzzle flashes. Authenticity, or visual fidelity as you call it, is important in a lot of movies, but I don't think crimson or I ever implied it's all meant to be totally realistic in all kinds of movies. If I thought that, I wouldn't have posted The Matrix Revolutions on page 1.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
In what you quoted there, I also said, "if the filmmakers choose that aesthetic," referring to muzzle flashes. Authenticity, or visual fidelity as you call it, is important in a lot of movies, but I don't think crimson or I ever implied it's all meant to be totally realistic in all kinds of movies.
Wait, I got something for this. The definition and list of synonyms of "authenticity" from Merrian-Webster online:

as in truth, genuineness

Synonyms & Near Synonyms for authenticity:
genuineness, truth, verity; actuality, fact, factuality, materiality, reality

Antonyms & Near Antonyms for authenticity:
irreality, unreality; fancy, fantasy (also phantasy), fiction, fictitiousness; dreaminess, surreality
Now we're down to quibbling over words that are synonymous?

Funny how that only seems to be a priority now.

If I thought that, I wouldn't have posted The Matrix Revolutions on page 1.
Except for that the only reason you posted that was to discuss on-set firearm safety, and nothing whatsoever to do with any kinds of effects nor the authenticity thereof. Which is actually kind of ironic, considering you're discussing a film series one of its key selling points were gunplay and effects. No takesie-backsies or attempted retcons of your own posts.

Even more ironic, is the 300fps high-speed cameras used in the film barely have a framerate fast enough to capture muzzle flashes from some of the firearms used in the movie. That is to say, the 300fps high-speed cameras they used for some of the shots, 120 and 150 were more common on set. 300 frames per second is one frame approximately every 3 milliseconds, meaning the shutter speed is 1.5 milliseconds.

By comparison, the standard 24 frames per second is one frame approximately every 42 milliseconds, and the standard shutter speed is 21 milliseconds. 60 frames per second is one frame approximately every 17 milliseconds, with a shutter speed of 8.5 milliseconds.

Most firearms have muzzle flashes that last between 1-7 milliseconds, depending on caliber, barrel length, and load. Higher caliber, shorter barrel length, and heavier load correspond to more prominent muzzle flashes. That means the shutter has to be open from the moment the firing pin strikes the primer, to the point ejecta in the form of excess powder, lead and copper shavings, and carbon fouling are expelled from the barrel...and the end result is one frame of footage, that's an orange motion and overexposure blur.

Hence the ridiculous lengths filmmakers go to capture muzzle flash on film, and why adding muzzle flashes in post is so popular. Because that's a lot of money, time, labor, parts, expertise, equipment, and excess and entirely unnecessary, risk simply for one frame of footage each and every time a firearm is shot on camera.

Whether that's from modifying firearms to only fire when the shutter is open (Scarface), to using overcharged pyrotechnic rounds that create muzzle flashes of artificially lengthened duration (the source of my quip that Hollywood muzzle flashes look like black powder firearms). It's simply easier, more reliable, and cheaper nowadays to digitally add muzzle flash (and case ejection, for relevant firearms) in post, which means the only necessary source of authenticity on set, is simulated recoil. As pointed out earlier, foley can be recorded on firing ranges.

Reactions: BrawlMan

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I never once said realistic, I said right. Because it does have to look right, there are expectations for how it looks. You jumped to a conclusion that wasn't there.

As pointed out earlier, foley can be recorded on firing ranges.
Unless you need to record foley at the sight of the shoot specifically.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Funny how that only seems to be a priority now.
It's not funny, because no one ever implied that movies with guns need all or nothing for authenticity. All we've ever said is that using real guns and rounds can enhance those scenes. It is only coming up now because you said this:

Just to put this "visual fidelity" argument to bed once and for all.
Putting an argument that never was to rest.

Except for that the only reason you posted that was to discuss on-set firearm safety, and nothing whatsoever to do with any kinds of effects nor the authenticity thereof. Which is actually kind of ironic, considering you're discussing a film series one of its key selling points were gunplay and effects. No takesie-backsies or attempted retcons of your own posts.
Huh? I'm not sliding back on my post. The Wachowskis and their team wouldn't have used real guns with bullets/blanks in the first place if it didn't add to the authenticity of those scenes. But the Matrix movies are also highly stylized. It's possible for an action scene to have elements of both realism and fantasy.

Snipped because my post won't submit with so much text.
Interesting. Adding muzzle flashes as principal photography seems better in some ways, though. Changing the color of one part of a scene isn't that easy a lot of the time. In the examples below, you can see the flashes brighten the metals, skin, leather and stone, and also reflect off the sunglasses. Of course some digital special effects teams will also be more cheaply funded and less talented than others.

Even today many special effects shots edited in post don't come out that nice. Actually, show me one whose CG light IS that convincing. The guy who restored Taxi Driver mentioned something similar, when asked about putting the redder blood back into the shooting scene at the end.

"You can't really successfully pump a color into a film that isn't there. There were attempts, to some degree, to put more red into that scene on older transfers of the film (the most recent almost ten years ago, and without talent involvement) and you can see those results in DVDs that were released. There is more red than should be there, but the red is everywhere, in the walls, clothing, skin, hair, etc., and that is what happens when you try to force a color into an image that really isn't present."

Last edited:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I never once said realistic, I said right. Because it does have to look right, there are expectations for how it looks. You jumped to a conclusion that wasn't there.
So let me get this straight. There's a difference between "realistic" and "right". That difference being, "right" is to meet audience expectation, regardless of whether or not it is, in fact, "realistic". Even though the point is for "right" to match "realistic" as much as possible, to provide audiences with a sense of verisimilitude.

Because these words are literally synonymous with each other in this context.

So, the film industry needs real firearms -- heavily modified ones that come at the cost of time, parts, and labor, that carry their associated risks to filming locations -- and overcharged pyrotechnic rounds, for the sake of creating deliberately fake-looking muzzle flashes, because the audience expectation is to see fake-looking muzzle flashes.

But, what we can't do is modify those firearms a different way that would make them inherently safe to store, transport, and handle on set, because post-modification it would be impossible for them to chamber or fire live rounds, even though they'd still be capable of firing pyrotechnic charges that create the deliberately fake-looking muzzle flashes that meet audience expectation. Or alternatively, we can't modify firearms needed for shots that involve dummy rounds that have had primers and loads removed, by removing mechanisms that allow them to actually discharge a round even though those mechanisms are entirely internal and therefore impact the appearance of the firearm in no way whatsoever, because...reasons, I guess.

Because that might make the deliberately fake-looking muzzle flashes look fake.

Unless you need to record foley at the sight of the shoot specifically.
That need does not actually exist.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
So let me get this straight. There's a difference between "realistic" and "right". That difference being, "right" is to meet audience expectation, regardless of whether or not it is, in fact, "realistic". Even though the point is for "right" to match "realistic" as much as possible, to provide audiences with a sense of verisimilitude.

Because these words are literally synonymous with each other in this context.

So, the film industry needs real firearms -- heavily modified ones that come at the cost of time, parts, and labor, that carry their associated risks to filming locations -- and overcharged pyrotechnic rounds, for the sake of creating deliberately fake-looking muzzle flashes, because the audience expectation is to see fake-looking muzzle flashes.

But, what we can't do is modify those firearms a different way that would make them inherently safe to store, transport, and handle on set, because post-modification it would be impossible for them to chamber or fire live rounds, even though they'd still be capable of firing pyrotechnic charges that create the deliberately fake-looking muzzle flashes that meet audience expectation. Or alternatively, we can't modify firearms needed for shots that involve dummy rounds that have had primers and loads removed, by removing mechanisms that allow them to actually discharge a round even though those mechanisms are entirely internal and therefore impact the appearance of the firearm in no way whatsoever, because...reasons, I guess.

Because that might make the deliberately fake-looking muzzle flashes look fake.
And as you well know, Hollywood explosions are fireballs instead of pressure waves, so the answer to your rambling is yes.

You half know what you're talking about, and are a walking example of the danger of a little knowledge.

That need does not actually exist.
Incorrect. Sometimes you need the sound of a gun at a location. Guns sound different in different places and it's a lot easier to record a sound than to try and make it in post.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Huh? I'm not sliding back on my post.
I'll keep that in mind for what I'm about to say. Now that you've committed fully to this argument...

The Wachowskis and their team wouldn't have used real guns with bullets/blanks in the first place if it didn't add to the authenticity of those scenes. But the Matrix movies are also highly stylized. It's possible for an action scene to have elements of both realism and fantasy.
They used electronic blanks for close shots in The Matrix.

MATRIX: What other memorable moments were there on the first film?

JOHN: There were a number of scenes that were really interesting. One that we put a lot of work into was the Rooftop scene, where there’s the gun that Trinity shoots the Agent in the head with. We tried a number of different techniques, and were prepared for a number of different ways to fire that weapon, depending on what scenario the Brothers went with. If it had been further away from the head, we had a type of electronic blank that would flash in the real gun. If they went right up close to the head, we had a weapon with a very low powered blank, so that no muzzle blast came out the front of the gun at all.

We used both those techniques in the film. In that situation we went with the blanked off gun, but later on where Keanu gets shot by Hugo in the hallway, shot up close, we used the electronic blank system so that it was still safe, but we could get a registering flash for the film.
Good job being unable to tell the difference, and inadvertently blowing your own argument out. Oops.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Okay, yeah, I get what you're saying now. Those flashes in post 133 do look artificial while the brightening of the surroundings doesn't. So it's just a light. But it makes a strong case for real muzzle flashes still being important in the other scenes shown in post 138 if you could spot the CG in post 133.

Last edited: