WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
bartholen said:
Blaming Gearbox for DNF is unfair. They didn't make the whole game, they just stitched it together from whatever bits 3D realms had. Or maybe not, I have neither the time nor enthusiasm to look deeply into how much Gearbox actually made of the final product. I actually think Gearbox should be congratulated for making gaming history by releasing the definitive "game that will never be released". It might have been a colossal turd (I haven't played, nor do I intend to do so), but merely finishing it and releasing it in stores deserves a tip of a hat from me.
still, they snatched it up and gave themselves something else to play with when they should have been focused on Borderlands 2 and Colonial marines.

And lets not ignore the fact that Randy Pitchford seems to genuinely not get why people found the game dull, boring, unpleasant or offensive.

But then he was touting Colonial marines as being totally true to the aliens mythos and setting, but it took a last minute petition in a game in development for six years to get female options in multiplayer.

Jan 27, 2011
nin_ninja said:
Sonic Chronicles

AAAUUUUGGHHH!!!!

WHY?! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME OF THAT ABOMINATION?!?!?

It was atrocious!

The beginning was passable, with pretty good dialogue for a sonic game and some decent, but clunky combat. At first, the only issue I had was with the terrible sound design (bad quality midis that felt like they were recorded the night before release, and corrupted sound effects for opening chests which happens after EVERY BATTLE >_<)

And then the middle of the game happens. Suddenly, it goes from a funny sonic RPG with good dialogue between the sonic characters to a space RPG that just happens to reluctantly co-star sonic and friends. All the good dialogue dries up and becomes very rare, and the closer to the end it got, the worse the writing was. And the gameplay...oh gosh the gameplay...The clunky, but servicable combat form the beginning dries up and literally became "have sonic do his solo attack, have tails/creap heal the party's FP, have knuckles break the enemy's armor for damage, and have the fourth guy you're forced to bring along to deal with the map hazards combo with knuckles to break armor for more damage, and if he can't, just do whatever. Fail to do this every turn and you DIE". This would have been maybe ok if it was just bosses, but no! This was for normal enemies too! ;_; Every fight was agonizing. Not to mention they dragged on and on and on because every time you used a skill you had to do this elite beat agents style minigame and if you goofed it up, you goofed up the whole move. >_<

And then a rushed, lame conclusion, followed by a cliffhanger ending, followed by the characters going "oh wow, it looks like we're in a pickle! I wonder what'll happen to us in the sequel!". *rage face*

I could make a better game in two weeks in RPGmaker! ....Actually I think I DID make a better game in two weeks in RPGmaker! I just got done making a game for a contest, and I honestly think my end result is better than the sack of *expletive deleted* that bioware shoveled out there with "Sonic Chronicles". >: (

...*breathes in* Sorry. I just really hate that game and cannot believe I spent money on it.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
As far as I was aware Bioware only released one bad game, Dragon Age 2. ME3 was a good game with an ending that people bitched about, not one that was objectively bad. Old Republic was not bad, nor was Bioware ultimately responsible for it's direction.

If you didn't like ME2 or 3, maybe you're not a BioWare fan. And that's ok. No one ever said you had to be.

G3

Feb 18, 2013
Great, so a company making its bones on OPEN WORLD innovation pumps out a linear POS that just reinforces the problem that no one makes good games out of our favorite brands. And yes I include Batman.

What's it going to take?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Doclector said:
I still don't get it. I like the game. It's not great by any means, and the final product should have been like the demo, no matter how long that took, but I still had fun with it.

Is there something wrong with me? Perhaps. After all, my standards for a videogame's quality have been shown to be lower than some others on multiple occasions. Dead Island is a particular case in which I liked a game far more than I logically should. Hell, remember area 51: Blacksite? A fairly enjoyable weekend's play, I thought.

But so much of what is supposedly wrong with the game simply isn't subjective. The technical faults, all that stuff. But I still just don't see it that much. I see the poor AI, I see the shatteringly bad graphics and screen tear, I definately see the terrible story, but for some reason it just plain doesn't bother me as much as it should, and don't get me wrong, it most certainly should.

I may be confused by this for years to come. I'm actually wondering whether I should trade it in before I come to my senses and stop enjoying it, but I know if I trade it in before that point, I'll just end up picking it up again later.

Really, I shouldn't let it bother me too much. So I bought a game that most people hated, and I liked it. So what? Good for me. The more it happens though, the more I feel stupid. It's like I turned up to a party with everyone drinking fine rums and I'm just there enjoying some cheap white cider that almost certainly shouldn't be fit for human consumption.

Have I become a conoseur of bad games in the same way I already am a sucker for a bad movie? I didn't think such a thing was possible.
The game journalism industry just appears to be piling on, and many posters here will not have played it at all. If you're having fun, then it's good. Just don't expect a good trade-in value if you try and sell it before too long.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Triforceformer said:
MopBox said:
I think what everyone likes to forget is that Borderland was a suprise hit. I liked the game, but it was made to be shovelware and it just took off by the grace of god. What else has gearbox actually made outside of the series?
How exactly is Borderlands shovelware? I really wish to see your logic behind that. Gearbox also made the Half-Life expansions, which were well recieved, and the Brothers in Arms series which was a moderate success as far as I know.
Well... maybe shovelware was a bit harsh, but that game wasn't intended to be an all-star title. It was a surprise hit. Success by accident.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
MopBox said:
Triforceformer said:
MopBox said:
I think what everyone likes to forget is that Borderland was a suprise hit. I liked the game, but it was made to be shovelware and it just took off by the grace of god. What else has gearbox actually made outside of the series?
How exactly is Borderlands shovelware? I really wish to see your logic behind that. Gearbox also made the Half-Life expansions, which were well recieved, and the Brothers in Arms series which was a moderate success as far as I know.
Well... maybe shovelware was a bit harsh, but that game wasn't intended to be an all-star title. It was a surprise hit. Success by accident.
Or success by actually being good. I enjoyed the writing and loot enough to keep me going.

Oct 22, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Oh hey! Are people still pissed that they cant play as Ripley in this game? :p
That's it! You Alien fanboys hate this game, just because you can't play as Ripley! Gah, stop being so entitled!