Alice Returns to Racoon City in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Trailer

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Karadalis said:
Another job initiative to give his wive some work? Cause thats all these movies are... to show off his wife.
What's wrong with that? A number of actors, directors, writers, etc. have done that for decades because the studios typecasted people, or dropping people for some stupid reason.

Also, wow, you guys hate this film series with a fiery passion. What did it do to deserve it?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
So does this mean that resident evil is the most successful video game movie of all time?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Yay, I'm excited we're finally getting another one (and hopefully this will be the last; I'd like the story to be over at some point here). I really enjoyed the other movies, and the last one especially. It was the only time in the entire series where I really got where umbrella was coming from all along: that humans were completely and utterly disposable. Not thrilled to see the red queen or the return to racoon city, though: I liked the idea of a climactic stupid fight where wesker inevitably betrays alice atop a burning white house.

That said, hopefully Milla Jovovich will be free to make other movies now. She's basically a female bruce willis except for boobs and a much broader linguistic ability. I want to see more of her in roles like she had in fifth element where she made up her own language.

TL, DR: I love her new hairstyle. That's my real takeaway from the trailer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Transdude1996 said:
Also, wow, you guys hate this film series with a fiery passion. What did it do to deserve it?
Well, can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I don't "hate" the series (there's very few things I truly hate, and few, if any of them would be pieces of fiction), but I can say it's down to the following:

-They're lacklustre adaptations. Now, let me make it clear, an adaptation doesn't need to be loyal to the source to be a good end product. But like any adaptation, those who like the original will take umbrage to see something not represented well, and at the end of the day, the RE films are poor representations of the games. They only really adapt anything from the games for the first two films, and then do their own thing, with the only shared elements being shared names. It's telling that the main character of the series (Alice) isn't even a game character, and constantly makes actual game characters redundant. It would be the equivalent of John Doe being inserted into Lord of the Rings and making the Fellowship a waste of space as he does everything for them - wiser than Gandalf, more pure-hearted than Frodo, a better swordsman than Aragorn, etc. It's what you see in the worst of fanfiction, when an OC starts taking away the spotlight from the main characters. Now apply this to a feature length movie.

-So, fine, let's forget the adaptation element, how do they stack up as films? Well, in my opinion, not very well. Even confining them to their own universe, each film, for me, has been weaker than the one before it. The story is all over the place, Alice is a 2D character, the action is over the top, even by the standards of action films, and there's the sense (to me at least) that there's no great plan for an actual storyline, just "what cool stuff can we do?" It's the same problem that many have cited with the Transformers - "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." And this is just me, but even action films need to have the basics of storytelling down - good plot, good characters, etc. For me, the Resident Evil films haven't had these elements for a long time.

So no, I don't hate them. Whatever hyperbole I use on the Internet, it's not worth truly 'hating' a piece of fiction. But I certainly have little love for them. Which is a shame, because I thought the series started off on quite a decent note. It ironically mirrors the course the RE games have taken for me, and why RE5 was the last Resident Evil game I played.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Karadalis said:
Another job initiative to give his wive some work? Cause thats all these movies are... to show off his wife.
What's wrong with that? A number of actors, directors, writers, etc. have done that for decades because the studios typecasted people, or dropping people for some stupid reason.

ITs garbage and another example of a director who claims to be a "fan" of the source material just to shit all over it, hogging the license for OVER A DECADE (first movie came out 2002) and who inserted a mary sue character that is so hyper competent you might aswell put in batman into the A-team.. wich also happens to be his wife.. how coincidantel.

Also please show me another decade long franchise where the spouse of the screenwriter is the only competent badass character on screen.. yeah.. good luck with that.

If these movies where anything else but to show off how awesome and sexy his wife is there would be some redeeming quality... but there isnt.. she isnt even a great actor for crying out loud! Looking pretty infront of a camera doesnt talent make im afraid.

These movies only exist for a simple reason:

To double cash in.

Anderson gets paid for his hackjob "screenwriting" while showing off how awesome his wife is to the world and how much better she is then any other (especialy those loser chars based on their game equivalents) character in the movie, and jovovich herselfe... whos only income nowadays seems to be to play a mary sue in the resident evil movie franchise. Cause she has asmuch charm and talent in these movies then a dead fish.

The action scenes are passable and sometimes theres some cool scenes in the movies... problem is those scenes are limited to ONE character only.. and you get 3 guesses who that character is... remind you: this has been going on for over 10 years now (resident evil 2 was 2004)

Also "hate" is a strong word thats thrown around way to easaly.. how about "annoyed" or "eye rolling" or "again? really?" Those express atleast what i feel better then "hate"

Mar 30, 2010
Typical. I bought the 'complete' Resident Evil box-set from Amazon literally last month, so of course a new film has been announced. No doubt if I ordered the 'definitive' Half Life collection H3 would be on the shelves by Christmas. *grumble*

That small gripe aside, I look forward to seeing how the series gets wrapped up. The series as a whole has been pretty enjoyable, in an 'insert popcorn, unplug brain' kinda way, although I say that as someone who hasn't played the games and therefore has no idea of how true (or false) the films have been to the game lore.

008Zulu said:
Yeah it was nuked. But Alice has the powers of Mary Sue, so she'll be immune. So now she'll be fighting radioactive zombies, and Bethesda may sue.
To be fair, that Red Queen AI has all the hallmarks of a Vault-Tec Overseer.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
You mean that Resident Evil is not to show off Milla Jovovich because she's married to Paul Anderson who writes the movies?
And somewhere I read that she stated she does the role because she's allowed to run around in a skimpy dress and hold guns.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
No doubt if I ordered the 'definitive' Half Life collection H3 would be on the shelves by Christmas.
You have piqued my scientific curiosity. Go purchase the Half Life games. Go buy them now. Now I say!

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
My problem is that Alice is the literal definition of a Mary Sue character. Not what it's been twisted to mean but the actual definition. She's a character inserted into an existing property who is better at anything and everything than the existing cast. Everyone loves her and no one can do anything without her. Seriously in any scene where there is a monster none of the other characters are allowed to kill it. If it even looks like someone other than Alice is going to kill a monster, the scene stops long enough for her to come in and killsteal.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Resident Evil 1 was great I thought....and they have gotten progressively worse ever since. Until the very last one where they went balls out and stopped trying and it became good again.
that was my opinion as well i loved the first film

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
So much salt in this thread .. so much.

It all makes sense now! It's not GreyScale that Jorah has, it's the T-Virus activating! And he's not off searching for the cure, he has to go take care of Alice and come back to Westeros with a legion of zombies!!

Make it so.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Maybe, as others have said a few times now, because the entire franchise is a soulless b-movie trainwreck?

I've not seen all of them - in fact I can't remember which ones I have seen, as they just blur indistinctly and artlessly into one sprawling mess. But they embody compromise; the studios settle for the budget/casting and returns, and the 'fans' settle for a kind of watered down outsiders mainstream take on the series. It limps on, never really making waves, but doing enough to get by. It's a pathetic series (which brings the Underworld franchise to mind, funnily enough).

...then again given Resi's first game, perhaps it and the source material are spiritually perfect for each other.

I'd also suggest it continues to give videogame adaptations a bad name, but I'm not sure the Resi films make any pop cultural impact for that to matter, and all the other adaptations tend to suck hard all on their own terms as well.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
008Zulu said:
Grouchy Imp said:
No doubt if I ordered the 'definitive' Half Life collection H3 would be on the shelves by Christmas.
You have piqued my scientific curiosity. Go purchase the Half Life games. Go buy them now. Now I say!
Just wanted to show my appreciation for a fellow Young Frankenstein fan.

Mar 30, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Grouchy Imp said:
008Zulu said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I had the good fortune to grow up on Mel Brooks' films.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
RaikuFA said:
Grouchy Imp said:
008Zulu said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I had the good fortune to grow up on Mel Brooks' films.
I did too. That's what happens when your dad's a film nut.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Marik2 said:
So does this mean that resident evil is the most successful video game movie of all time?
Depends on what you consider successful. The critics have hated each film, and three other films (Warcraft, Angry Birds, and Prince of Persia) have made more money than the best RE movie. However, to counter that, four of the five RE movies released are in the top 10 of highest grossing video game film adaptations, it is one of the most successful "Horror" film series (Funnily enough), and each film has made, at least, 3 times it's budget.

And, keep in mind, this is all without adjusting for inflation.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
This series and the fast and the furious series are just pure mindless guilty pleasures.

I can never understand the people who have any strong feelings about them.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Transdude1996 said:
Karadalis said:

To respond to both parts of this, when people go to see a movie based on a videogame, they expect to see a movie starring the characters from said game. NOT the amazing adventures of the Director's wife with pointless guest appearances of Resident Evil characters to remind you that this is supposed to be a Resident Evil movie.

I'm here for Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Albert Wesker, etc. NOT the amazing and powerful wife of the director!