Alien: Isolation Review - Structural Perfection

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Alien: Isolation Review - Structural Perfection

Alien: Isolation's structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Read Full Article

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
But does the game mend the rift in our society? Does it heal?

These are the parameters by which a game should be judged.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
softclocks said:

Does that mean Mario Party is the catalyst to society's end?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
The funny thing about this, is that some sites/reviewers are giving it a 5/6 or 8/9.
To be honest, the ones giving it a better score seem more reliable with their reputation and review.

Glad to see that Alien's reputation in the game industry is far from over.
Now for Sega ... you have a long way to do. Start by localizing the recent Yakuza games.

Mar 30, 2010
Aw man, I've got this thing pre-ordered to turn up on the 7th and can't wait to play it. If you're bigging this up just to toy with me, Jim ... well ... just don't. Don't. Or we'll have words.

Jan 12, 2012
If this is as good as Jim says, I hope it does well; it's been too long since a great survival horror. That said, Colonial Marines may have poisoned the well for Alien games; I didn't remember the name of it until Jim mentioned it, only that there was a recent Alien game that was absolutely atrocious.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I wonder what the differences are between the current gen and previous gen versions. I only got myself a PS3, and my PC probably can't handle it. I can't believe there are no concessions between versions and I do wonder what they would be.
Renegade-pizza said:
softclocks said:

Does that mean Mario Party is the catalyst to society's end?
And Mario Kart the coup-de-grace.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Based on the reviews I've read this seems to be a game were a shorter campaign and less fetch quest would be a benefit if only publisher's would be willing to go for a slightly lower price as well to offset it.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Wow - I'm delighted to hear that it plays as good as it looks. I spent the whole review entranced by the detail and thought put into making the environment look? right. I don't think I saw anything which I'd specifically cite as a set from the movie, but every shot looks like it _could've_ been. The wraparound couches with the ivory / brown color scheme and very 80s looking plastic, but also the technology looks like it fell out of a wormhole where things moved on from the 80s rather than 2010s.

Big up for all that.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
My wallet, it hurts.

But I'm happy that it seems to be great (according to most anyway). Hell, even if I wasn't excited for it, I'd be happy for you Jim.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I'm glad it's not Weyland-Yutani this time. Seeing them fucking up again and again feels a bit cartoonish these days.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The game sounds risky but promising, which I suppose is what one should expect from a game that tries to emulate the original Alien.

I guess I'll go read one of the more negative reviews and see what they have to say about it. No reason not to try minimizing the risk to my bank account.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Ohhhhhh!!!!!! Im so excited I cant wait to play this!!! Thank you Jim im so glad the game is good and cant wait to get it!

Jim did you play on normal or hard?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Aliens: Isolation. P.T./Silent Hills. The Evil Within.Daylight. Dying Light. Amnesia. Until Dawn. Outlast.

Horror is BACK, baby!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am somewhat concerned they will take the good will generated from this game and either;

A- Make a sequel that is a direct copy.
B- Make a sequel that is nothing but guns and mowing down waves of Xenos.

Wan Shi Tong

Sep 2, 2014
Wow I'm shocked this game got made. When he said it had actual difficulty I smacked my gob in surprise, a (close to) AAA game that punishes you for losing? You're telling me that somewhere some corporate fat cat said, "You want to alienate casual gamers by making a game that's difficult to play, on purpose? Well, it is a horror game, make it, here's the money."

Especially that this review was done by Jim Sterling, Jim "I want to French kiss both of the xenomorph's mouths" Sterling.

This game just went from my least wanted to most wanted in 7:46

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
I was going to skip this one completely based on that stupid pre order DLC, but from hearing good things about it I will pick it up when they release the DLC (hopefully for free... haha). I get the feeling I'm going to have to do this for most of my games now, the pre order DLC looks great and I'm not going to purchase this game without getting access to it.

Seriously though I was expecting this to be a pile of poop but I am so surprised to hear Jim like it. I love horror games so this one will be a great pickup when it hits a steam sale!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Well, after reading the Polygon review I'm just feeling clueless about whether the game's issues will bother me too much or if I'll get past them like Jim apparently did. I'll have to think about this over the weekend before I make a preorder decision.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
008Zulu said:
I am somewhat concerned they will take the good will generated from this game and either;

A- Make a sequel that is a direct copy.
B- Make a sequel that is nothing but guns and mowing down waves of Xenos.

Your getting ahead of yourself, lets see if it sells first.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'm glad to learn it's not a disappointment like so many other implementations of the alien franchise.

I'm always wary of spoilers when reading a review but this one seemed as free of them as it is possible to be while still imparting knowledge to the reader.

I have to admit, I'm very tempted by the title too now, though I'll be holding until post pre-order phase, even if it costs me more to get the dlc.