Alien: Isolation Review - Structural Perfection

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
So Jim Sterling sings its praises, while IGN claims mediocrity. This is a winner, then, will buy.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Alien: Isolation Review - Structural Perfection

Alien: Isolation's structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Read Full Article
It'll be interesting to see whether this actually outsells Colonial Marines or not.

HA HA HA who am I kidding? The only people spending money right now are the rich. That's why the Preorder Culture exists at all. It's not because gamers are too stupid to wait for the reviews. It's because everybody's broke EXCEPT the whales!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Glad to hear they seem to have pulled it off. I'll definitely get it... at some point. Endless backlog. Still, over the course of the development, a lot of negative news came out; glad to see the developers got it right. One thing, though: How friggin' obvious is the main character as a Ripley knock-off? She looks so similar. :-D

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Scorpid said:
Jim did you play the preorder DLC? Why was that not in your review bro?
He's been pretty critical of DLC and preorder practices, so I wouldn't expect him to have it or mention it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm not going to buy the game...but not because I doubt Jim, its simply because survival horror does not appeal to me.

BUT I felt like I wanted to share congratulations to the Alien fan's who finally have a good game after the utterly awful Colonial Marines.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Scorpid said:
Jim did you play the preorder DLC? Why was that not in your review bro?
Since the copy he reviewed was stated to be provided by the publisher, they might not have included that content. He also in one of his Jimquisition episodes came across as very annoyed they had something that seems important to the story locked in pre-order DLC (at least that is how I took his position).

For me I am very torn about this game and its why I wish companies still provided demos even if they were after the games release. Right now I won't buy it before a major sale on Steam because from the various reviews I have read the game is either going to be something I love to play or loathe that I bought and I can't see to find out which way its going to wind up being.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I've never really played an Alien game or watched any of the movies. The premise of this game does sound interesting to me though.

And I'm also kinda glad to see this doesn't seem an absolute train-wreck like the last Alien game.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
And with this review I feel safe in pre-ordering. Thank you Jim, and its really nice to see more survival horror games popping up.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
As Jim is an Alien fan I trust him the most to make the judgement on whether or not an Alien game is good. I mean broken is one thing, but I think if this game captured the spirit of the first film than I think I will be a happy customer.

IGN was really low and I actually didn't want to keep reading because it just sounded like the kind of people who don't like the source material very much, criticizing it for being the way it's supposed to be. I remember IGN complaining that they wondered how much of the 20 hour game time they had spent hiding in lockers, but I think if you're a survival horror fan, that's not a bad thing necessarily. Also Polygon had a pretty low score, but it also seemed like they weren't exactly fans of the genre.

The game looks good. the people who's opinion I value on the subject say it's good. I will play it, and I hope I like it too.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
softclocks said:
But does the game mend the rift in our society? Does it heal?

These are the parameters by which a game should be judged.
WRONG!!

The primary purpose and obligation of video games is to raise the status of women. If it fails to do that, it fails.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
BBboy20 said:
So: Not a Broken Piece of Shit?
I think ign was confused by the distinct lack of boom boom noises. I wonder how many times they tried to melee the alien before they realized this was survival horror.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Im wondering which difficulty jim played on? Ign played it on hard which the game reccomends and didnt like it too well. Jim what did you play and do you also recommend hard??

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Comparing Alien with ZombiU. Hmm... sorry, Jim. But I want to be able to sleep this week.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Bleh between this and Shadows of Mordor that's 2 games I didn't care much about before but I'm now really interested in playing.

Way back when Isolation was previewed I said I disliked the idea of an invincible antagonist, if the player is lucky/good enough to be able to set a trap for the alien and kill it with makeshift weaponry, then it should be allowed.

I stand by that, especially if there's flamethrowers in the game (normally the Alien runs away from the flames but what if you were to setup a room as a trap leaving it with no escape routes?), you should be able to kill the Alien.
Heck even hiding in a small room like Newt did should be an option even if it leads to boring gameplay.

But other then disliking the idea of an invincible foe, I'm liking everything else I hear about this game.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
What I originally wanted was the Colonial Marines I waited 6 years for, that never really arrived and then Isolation was planned and it kinda gave me hope, then they showed it to be an Amnesia type game and my interested shot down to zero, I wasn't really a big fan of Amnesia and I like other types of Horror games but not the Amnesia types so I'm going to pass on this and sigh because I'll probably have to wait another nigh 6 years until I finally get the Aliens game I want that isn't a staple from another game.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Though horror isn't exactly my favorite genre, I am happy to see another actually GOOD Aliens game. I had almost given up on it.

I'm not sure why I don't like horror any more. I grew up watching and loving horror and splatter flicks. I loved games like Clive Barker's Undying and Silent Hill 2 to bits. It's not that I can't take the pressure; I can. It's just that I don't enjoy it like I used to. I still really enjoy some horror-ish things, like Dark Souls, but I think that's because of the sense of adventure rather than plain old shit-your-pants terror.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
After a friend cautioned me about the game today, I am just wondering how far you got into the game? For I am being told I will enjoy the first ten or so hours of the game, but after that it feels like there was publisher meddling and it hurts the second half of the game, for the game feels like it reaches a conclusion about halfway through and then continues.

xGrimReaperzZ

Dec 8, 2013
From what i've read the PC port is also great, it can run @1080p144fps! (Which is something that you don't always see unfortunately, which is why i own a second monitor, a higher-res IPS one)