Aliens: Colonial Marines Debut Trailer is Game Over, Man

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Aliens: Colonial Marines Debut Trailer is Game Over, Man

The debut trailer for Aliens: Colonial Marines has finally arrived and it is state of the bad-ass art!

Gearbox's confirmed [http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/games/aliens/], as far as that goes, a "release window" of spring 2012. In other words, there's still plenty of time for things to go wrong and given the game's long and troubled history, I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least one more delay is in the offing.

But it's hard to stay detached, cynical and oh-so-cool about things in the face of this Aliens: Colonial Marines debut trailer. It's pure Aliens [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B004RE29PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314128101&sr=8-1] formula, sure, but who cares? Aliens is the best sci-fi war movie ever made and this trailer nails it from start to finish; if the game can live up to that promise, we're in for a wild ride indeed.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
Wow... that actually does look awesome. Lets just hope its not just a run and gun and those Xenomorphs take more than 4 bullets to kill.

Also "...and it wasn't until June 2011 that Geartbox finally confirmed..."
Just fyi.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
This looks pretty damned good. I really, really hope the game lives up to its potential.

If it doesn't I will club a baby seal.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I'm still kinda shaken after the new Aliens vs Predators, however i love the Aliens films so AGGGHH. I'll wait to hear more before i go fanboy over it.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Man I just had a complete fan-gasm.

This looks brilliant but it will hinge on how deadly the xenomorphs are. If you end up feeling like a character in a COD game and not an inferior organism with a lack of firepower and ammo then the game will fall completely flat.

I do hope this game takes the survival horror route.

Dec 14, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:

This looks brilliant but it will hinge on how deadly the xenomorphs are. If you end up feeling like a character in a COD game and not an inferior organism with a lack of firepower and ammo then the game will fall completely flat.

This game is going to need a section where you lose your gun, now that would be terrifying.

If only to get across the point that bullets are the only thing that's stopping you from getting face raped.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
The graphics look slightly dated. But on the other hand, this is Colonial Marines and they seem to have nailed the Aliens experience completely. To say that I want this game, would be an understatement.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ubermetalhed said:

This game is going to need a section where you lose your gun, now that would be terrifying.

If only to get across the point that bullets are the only thing that's stopping you from getting face raped.
I totally agree.

Although they did this at the very beginning of Dead Space but then afterwards they provided you with way too much ammo and made you forget that the game was ever meant to be a horror.

Feb 13, 2010
I think I'd be doing my avatar a disservice if I didn't say this...

"Check it out! I am the ultimate bad-ass! State of the bad-ass art! You do not want to fuck with me. Check it out! Hey, Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate bad-asses will protect you! Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, we got sharp sticks."

Trailer looks promising though, as long as Gearbox remembers that the Xenomorphs are a superior force 'Hard' should be the default difficulty :)

Very much looking forward to it though, do not fuck this up Gearbox!

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Looks promising. With Gearbox at the helm, I can at least expect solid gunplay mechanics... everything else is going to depend on execution of the theme.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Awesome looking. I like the varied acents of the marines so (like Halo) it isn't just an array of Americans defending freedome everywhere...

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Yep, this looks to be the game us Alien fans WANT. Watching that trailer really, really made me miss my old Kenner Alien figure. :(

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Side note.

Is the motion tracker the most iconic sound effect ever?

It's certainly the scariest.

#Edit, secondary side note:
Does this mean that they're planning to ignore the whole terraformer going atomic bit from Aliens and go with a story where Ripley and Co got there faces pulled off without ever firing a shot? That would be pretty cool...

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Finally, iron sights available. AvP dissapointed me by not allowing me to aim.

Now, they are bringing them in. Also. The aliens look kick ass.